Ultimate Subaru Message Board

high speed braking shimmy

i guess 100 mph is high speed :grin:

This doesnt occure all the time, so im leaning towards tires. My tires are 1 year old, but have broken belts. i think when they get in sort of synch, and you brake from 60mph or higher (lots higher) there is a bad shimmy in the car and brake pedal. It doesnt do it all the time,so its not rotors. Tires were balanced and rotated before the trip. Car was inspected a month before the trip.

AT home i never get the car higher then 70, so i dont notice it. Here 80 is the norm, and triple's are not uncommon.

I am impressed how good the 4 wheel discs are on the 97 OBW, very powerful brakes when you got to stomp on them at high speed.

I am not against replacing the tires, but will do it in a state without sales tax, or low sales tax.

BTW ethanol makes car go very very fast quickly :brow: .Seems to have more power going up hills.

Discovered going up hills i get better gas milage if i slowly squeeze the gas pedal instead of waiting for the cruise control to downshift and floor it.

Interesting at 80 stomp on the gas and still get a downshift. I am very happy with the car

And it looks good all dirty :brow:

nipper

i guess 100 mph is high speed :grin:

This doesnt occure all the time, so im leaning towards tires. My tires are 1 year old, but have broken belts. i think when they get in sort of synch, and you brake from 60mph or higher (lots higher) there is a bad shimmy in the car and brake pedal. It doesnt do it all the time,so its not rotors. Tires were balanced and rotated before the trip. Car was inspected a month before the trip.

AT home i never get the car higher then 70, so i dont notice it. Here 80 is the norm, and triple's are not uncommon.

I am impressed how good the 4 wheel discs are on the 97 OBW, very powerful brakes when you got to stomp on them at high speed.

I am not against replacing the tires, but will do it in a state without sales tax, or low sales tax.

BTW ethanol makes car go very very fast quickly :brow: .Seems to have more power going up hills.

Discovered going up hills i get better gas milage if i slowly squeeze the gas pedal instead of waiting for the cruise control to downshift and floor it.

Interesting at 80 stomp on the gas and still get a downshift. I am very happy with the car

And it looks good all dirty :brow:

nipper

ethanol that sounds like fun. I have this stuff called nitro fuel i use in my RC cars. Think that would give the same effect, hehe.

how do your tires have broken belts and won't they possibly explode at any minute, especially when you're driving 100mph?

I'd think until you eliminate that possibility there's no reason to worry much about anything else.

And yeah, 3rd's good for 110 with my 4eat and 3.9 fd.

how do your tires have broken belts and won't they possibly explode at any minute, especially when you're driving 100mph?

I'd think until you eliminate that possibility there's no reason to worry much about anything else.

And yeah, 3rd's good for 110 with my 4eat and 3.9 fd.

Maybe the tired are out off balance, with my dads truck it did the same thing, until he got the tires balanced then everything was perfect. What tires are u running out of curiousity nipper?

Yeah, Nip, I imagine that if you really did have broken belts, you'd have been splattered all over the road if you pushed it up around 100 mph. :burnout:

I have a suggestion -- especially since you're not used to mudding it up a bit in your usual haunts, if you did find yourself in the goo somewhere on your travels you may have picked up some dried mud clods on the inside surface of the wheels. This is known to happen with your vintage OBW (especially mine when I lived in eastern South Dakota and routinely drove thru the muddy clay that was my driveway in Spring), and the result is an out of balance wheel. A simple cleaning and scraping of that crud off of the wheels cures the tire balance problem, and can both eliminate the high-speed shimmy as well as restoring "smooth" braking.

I finally found the Nipper Tripper thread. old car, broken tire belts at 100, old head gaskets, and they think fighter pilots are brave.....
Yes, but I've got a question: Hey Nipper, does the ethanol that makes things so fast go into your "tank", or the OB's? ;):D

Nipper,

I had steering wheel shimmy when braking from high speed, and it was intermittent like yours. It lasted several years until I replaced the front rotors, then it stopped. I didn't originally think it was the rotors because it didn't happen all the time, but alas, it seemed to do the trick. I did not change the tires at the same time, if anyone was wondering.

Matt

Yeah, Nip, I imagine that if you really did have broken belts, you'd have been splattered all over the road if you pushed it up around 100 mph. :burnout:

I have a suggestion -- especially since you're not used to mudding it up a bit in your usual haunts, if you did find yourself in the goo somewhere on your travels you may have picked up some dried mud clods on the inside surface of the wheels. This is known to happen with your vintage OBW (especially mine when I lived in eastern South Dakota and routinely drove thru the muddy clay that was my driveway in Spring), and the result is an out of balance wheel. A simple cleaning and scraping of that crud off of the wheels cures the tire balance problem, and can both eliminate the high-speed shimmy as well as restoring "smooth" braking.

there are those nasty dimples in the sidewalls :(

i spent all day getting the car dirty, then God had the nerve to rain on me and clean the car..

That and the cattle truck in front of me

hello from Murdo SD

nipper

Ahh - He's still "West River." That's far more benign an environment than East River South Dakota (that's east of the Missouri river, which pretty well splits the state in half), where most of the torrential flooding rains, tornadoes, arctic blizzards, etc., happen. If you're heading east, nip, then when you get 2/3 of the way between Mitchell and Sioux Falls (closer to Sioux Falls), look north. You'll see -- farmland, about as far as the eye can see. But if you were to drive about 25 miles north you'd come to a little town called Colman. Population around 493 when we lived there. That's where I was when I got my '96 OBW, and it was in those SD winters when I discovered just how right I was when I made the decision to buy it!

I can see nip now...out on the highway with his hands glued to the vibrating wheel, teeth clenched, blowing by semis....

that sounds like how i was the other day...:lol:

now granted i don't have tires with broken belts but i got one front tire with a couple chunks missing from the sidewall and one back tire that's been plugged since dec.and all four have gotta be out of balance.

It hasnt done it again. I've had it buried and no problem. Made the new AWD work its rump roast off in the backroads of Southdakota. They call the road scenic, i call it a blast. Loose gravel and dirt. i pulled the abs fuse to have more fun.

And cookie, Blu says tthhrppppttttt. Blu is pulling up mountain passes like no tomorrow. Ive done this drive in a sohc 2.2L, and man ill take the DOHC 2.5L anyday..

hehehe my car is dirty

It hasnt done it again. I've had it buried and no problem. Made the new AWD work its rump roast off in the backroads of Southdakota. They call the road scenic, i call it a blast. Loose gravel and dirt. i pulled the abs fuse to have more fun.

And cookie, Blu says tthhrppppttttt. Blu is pulling up mountain passes like no tomorrow. Ive done this drive in a sohc 2.2L, and man ill take the DOHC 2.5L anyday..

hehehe my car is dirty

Yeah! The beauty of the 2.5!!

Nipper,

I had steering wheel shimmy when braking from high speed, and it was intermittent like yours. It lasted several years until I replaced the front rotors, then it stopped. I didn't originally think it was the rotors because it didn't happen all the time, but alas, it seemed to do the trick. I did not change the tires at the same time, if anyone was wondering.

Matt

Even the old subes did the same thing. I put new rotors on and smacked one with my framing hammer unintentionally.Now intermittent shake. To spin it around and look at it visibly, there is no sign of it.

Rotors being guaranteed for life is makin me lucky... Is there a part besides an ea82 crankshaft out there, that I can't break with my framing hammer ?

I also had a bent rim that I turned into a really bent one trying to fix it myself... steel and signals at wrong times, wrong places, can do alot of damage , from a nuisance to catastrophe. All with a hammer.. They make it tough, it becomes toughly bent. No win situation .:confused:

Even the old subes did the same thing. I put new rotors on and smacked one with my framing hammer unintentionally.Now intermittent shake. To spin it around and look at it visibly, there is no sign of it.

Rotors being guaranteed for life is makin me lucky... Is there a part besides an ea82 crankshaft out there, that I can't break with my framing hammer ?

I also had a bent rim that I turned into a really bent one trying to fix it myself... steel and signals at wrong times, wrong places, can do alot of damage , from a nuisance to catastrophe. All with a hammer.. They make it tough, it becomes toughly bent. No win situation .:confused:

Your not coming NEAR Blu with a hammer .....

nipper

there are those nasty dimples in the sidewalls :(

That's normal, you can find them on most high-sidewalled non-performance tires. It's where something overlaps on the inside tire construction. Well of course, unless the dimples look absolutely horrendous and out of place. :-\