Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am interested in purchasing a 91ish Legacy Sedan AWD Turbo A/T. Which Gen is this? I prefer the newer years of that gen that don't have the automatic seat belts.

Where do you guys go to find these cars and how likely am I to find the exact one like that I want?

I live in Colorado which is Subaru country, but never see the one I am interested in. Lots of n/a wagons. No turbo sedans.

Dale

When I'm looking for one I try to find as many car related web sites as possible, especially local 'swap sheet' type ones and watch them for new postings too. Not to be neglected is paying attention while driving around for cars for sale in yards and stuff. I've noticed that a lot of local used car dealers have a suby on the lot but I never see them adverstized anywhere.

If you don't care about shipping/going to pick it up, eBay might possibly be an avenue to go. Or maybe you could get one fresh from a salvage yard before the vultures get to it and do what needs to be done to make it road worthy again.

I am interested in purchasing a 91ish Legacy Sedan AWD Turbo A/T. Which Gen is this? I prefer the newer years of that gen that don't have the automatic seat belts.

Where do you guys go to find these cars and how likely am I to find the exact one like that I want?

I live in Colorado which is Subaru country, but never see the one I am interested in. Lots of n/a wagons. No turbo sedans.

Dale

You cannot get a 1st gen turbo sedan without auto seatbelts, these were only made from 91-94 and all these years had the auto seat belts.

These are pretty rare cars, so it might take a while to find.

You cannot get a 1st gen turbo sedan without auto seatbelts, these were only made from 91-94 and all these years had the auto seat belts.

89-94 is called 1st gen.

They can be had without auto belts if you get a Canadian spec TLeg, but they're a rare animal indeed. Would probably be best to get a US Spec TLeg, find a Canadian spec Legacy with matching color belts and do a swap.

Also, the 92-94 have Driver's Side Airbags if you're interested in more safety.

Ahhh! ....Nothing like the sound of several mechanical mechanisms booting up when you simply turn the ignition on. Shoulder belts and radio antanae and fuel pump, OK , I only want to hear the fuel pump.

Luckily, my 91ss, when I bought it early this year, only one of the automatic seat belts worked, unfortunatly, it was my side. Passengers side did nothing.

I "felt" I had to unplug mine, due to "safety issues", "as unreliable" and just use the factory supplied lap belts.

Now, I only hear the secure feeling of my fuel pump pressurizing, and of course, the worn out gears on my automatic radio antanae (spl?).

If you are interested the the gen 1 Legacys don't let the auto seat belts stop you. I have one and I love it.

Mike

if the canadian version came with regular belts, then the mounting points are there, they didn't make a different body for canada. and i bet the 94-95 changes weren't that great so maybe 95-99 belts might fit.

all you're talking about is the top bracket, and maybe a longer belt. how did the canadian models deal with the auto-belt track.?? did they just hide it ? or did they introduce the 95 changes into canada before the us.?

Ahhh! ....Nothing like the sound of several mechanical mechanisms booting up when you simply turn the ignition on. Shoulder belts and radio antanae and fuel pump, OK , I only want to hear the fuel pump.

Luckily, my 91ss, when I bought it early this year, only one of the automatic seat belts worked, unfortunatly, it was my side. Passengers side did nothing.

I "felt" I had to unplug mine, due to "safety issues", "as unreliable" and just use the factory supplied lap belts.

Now, I only hear the secure feeling of my fuel pump pressurizing, and of course, the worn out gears on my automatic radio antanae (spl?).

If you are interested the the gen 1 Legacys don't let the auto seat belts stop you. I have one and I love it.

Mike

if the canadian version came with regular belts, then the mounting points are there, they didn't make a different body for canada. and i bet the 94-95 changes weren't that great so maybe 95-99 belts might fit.
Yes, the mounting points are there. They just used a different piece of moulding that didn't have the track. Canadian spec swap isn't too uncommon actually, it's just annoying ripping all the auto belt crap out.

My legacy doesnt have auto seatbelts, but just wondering, isnt 89-92 first gen? and 92-94 2nd gen? Because there was a body change, and few other things changed.
No. If anything, 89-91 would be 1st gen, and 92-94 would be 1.5 gen. All that changed was a minor facelift, some very minor suspension bits, and airbags. Otherwise, all the 89-94 cars are exactly the same.

Oh, and Legacy L's after 1991 didn't get rear sway bars, but that's about all I can think of.

1995-99 is gen 2 because that was the beginning of a very major facelift and OBDII.