Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello.

I really hope,t hat some of you shall be able to help me with the advice.

I own the ca Subaru Legacy Outback 1997 2.5 automatic transmission.

The problem - when you drive on +- 115 km/h (and faster as well) sometimes there appears a strange noise. when you brake or accelerate, that noise dissapears. but on the average this sound appears, but not allways.

What is this sound like? it is hard to explain. but at the beginning the noise is not loud, but it becomes louder and louder. I know, there is not anything that is shuddering.

I do not know, but i suppose, this could be the rear speed-reducer (hope this is correct name), but it sounds like the noise is comming from somewhere in front.

Could this be the transmission?

Thank`s for your opinion.

Hello.

I really hope,t hat some of you shall be able to help me with the advice.

I own the ca Subaru Legacy Outback 1997 2.5 automatic transmission.

The problem - when you drive on +- 115 km/h (and faster as well) sometimes there appears a strange noise. when you brake or accelerate, that noise dissapears. but on the average this sound appears, but not allways.

What is this sound like? it is hard to explain. but at the beginning the noise is not loud, but it becomes louder and louder. I know, there is not anything that is shuddering.

I do not know, but i suppose, this could be the rear speed-reducer (hope this is correct name), but it sounds like the noise is comming from somewhere in front.

Could this be the transmission?

Thank`s for your opinion.

I dunno, heat shields seem to make a wide range of sounds under different conditions for people. Also, a torn CV boot could possibly make a weird sound. Has any work been done immediately before this sound began? Sometimes the air filter box is not clipped in correctly.

Carl

No, nothing particular is done after and befor that. I've asked many mechanics, but none of them could answer. But could this be the rear differencial? I really hope this is not the transmission.

Besides, today i heard the same noise driving at lower speed approx. 65-70 kmph. But this noise is not loud, it is very quiet, but still the same. And sometimes it is, but sometimes not. :-\

:confused:

No, nothing particular is done after and befor that. I've asked many mechanics, but none of them could answer. But could this be the rear differencial? I really hope this is not the transmission.

Besides, today i heard the same noise driving at lower speed approx. 65-70 kmph. But this noise is not loud, it is very quiet, but still the same. And sometimes it is, but sometimes not. :-\

:confused:

You may need to take a mechanic for a ride and try to duplicate for him.

Carl

Maybe you can describe the noise better.

Wining: high pitch noise, the dentist drill but them lower frequency (think of rear differential)

Grinding: (broken bearings from: water pump, altenator) Remove the front v-belt and drive again remember no power stearing or electrics so turn of the lights if it is still there try the A/C belt (i guess you have).

It is possible the noise is there all time but maybe you can't hear it because of other noises.

I had my 4EAT broken, and it smells bad and there is a low pitch (like bass) noise coming from front under the dash. THe ATF oil looks dark and not clear anymore, then flush the ATF and check again.

Thanks for the idea.

Actually, this could be something like the noise of a dentist drill. But i cannot say, that mush lower.

I guess it sounds something like the old bus, when it is driving pretty fast. Of course, my car does not sound that loud.

So, do you suppose, this could be the rear differencial?

Hou can i make it sure? :confused:

Thanks

So, do you suppose, this could be the rear differencial?

Hou can i make it sure? :confused:

Thanks

Change the fluid in your rear diff and see if the noise goes away, changes, or no change at all. When the plug is taken out, see how much shavings are on it. Highly unlikely it is a rear diff problem, though.

Have your mechanic check the speedo cable going into your transmission. If it is mechanical then whatever gear spins inside there can make noise if it is not tight. My '93 makes a horrendous noise if you take it above 60 when its below freezing, found out a spring in there was missing.

A bad differential makes a ROAR like nothing else on the car will. It gets louder with speed, and is unmistakable.

FIrst thing is to inspect your tires, check for cupping and broken belts. Next is to install the FWD fuse and see if it has any effect. CHeck your lubricant and fluid levels.

nipper

highly doubt the rear diff like nipper said.

i'd have the tires inspected/rebalanced. tires can be noisey. rotate them and see if the noise changes or "moves". if it moves with the tires, then they are the cause. make sure there's no mud caked behind the wheels, or a part of the wheel liner hanging down from the wheel well.

after this i'd check your brakes pads or shoes (if it has rear drums). easy check and inexpensive to deal with (depending how bad your mechanic needs $$ anyway).

does it seem drivetrain related or could it be trim/antenna catching the wind?

Wheel bearings make pretty weird noises.

Jack up the car and turn the wheel, this should be a smooth motion (first rotation might be little noise of the brake system). A broken wheel bearing makes a grinding noise, as well there might be some movement in the wheel except from turning. Check by pulling on the wheel.

I had a noise comming from the right rear wheel, thought it was the bearing but the shocks were completely gone.

I guess, that it is not the bearing what makes that sound. If it was the bearing then the noise should be every time. But his noise is not allways, besides,if it appearsm then only after some 10 or more min. of driving at that speed. i think, this dsound does not come from the left or right side. At least, i cannot determine that.

Thanks for advices

I guess, that it is not the bearing what makes that sound. If it was the bearing then the noise should be every time. But his noise is not allways, besides,if it appearsm then only after some 10 or more min. of driving at that speed. i think, this dsound does not come from the left or right side. At least, i cannot determine that.

Thanks for advices

I say 75% chance this is heat shields.

Carl