Ultimate Subaru Message Board

10,000 miles later and I am getting that oh sooooo sweet smell...

Wait for it.....

....of burning coolant on the exhaust:banana: w00t!!!!!1!!!1 Damn, you probably guessed that though.

I guess the stop leak the dealer put in at 58k didn't work, surprise surprise. (insert severe sarcasm here)

Just thought I would share in my joy, take care,

Kevin

That sucks man.

My cousin just hit about 240k on his '99 taurus and blew a head gasket. He had a severe tick happining. I had no faith, but after putting in some stop leak from autozone, and chaning plugs and oil, and driving for a week - no more tick and no more HG problem. Amazing. (sorry for the run-on)

That sucks man.

My cousin just hit about 240k on his '99 taurus and blew a head gasket. He had a severe tick happining. I had no faith, but after putting in some stop leak from autozone, and chaning plugs and oil, and driving for a week - no more tick and more HG problem. Amazing. (sorry for the run-on)

WOW a ford at 240k? and it is still running? thats amazing :lol:

So here's the scoop:

The left and right side gaskets are getting replaced as well as some other related stuff under warranty.

The dealer, who I feel is honest, also noticed oil leaking from the timing belt covers. I have seen this drip before, but I kind of just always forgot about it. Anyhow, the front oil seals are leaking, and there was oil on the timing belt, ect, ect. So I am also getting a timing belt job and all of the other related stuff for $280. Then subtract my $100 suby bucks and thats $180 for a pretty refreshed engine:)

I'm not psyched that it happened now, but I guess it would have happened eventually. I close on a house first thing in the AM, so what's one more check to the Subaru dealer :brow:

That is pretty impressive on the Taurus.I had an 89 Wagon that was great on most everything but the pesky 3.8 L head gasket issue.Mine was retired at 185000 miles,I did 3 head gaskets on that piece during that time.It actually died with a bad tranny which I figured was a more prevalent issue with the Fords of that time but mine was original. John

Ah, Fords.

Learned to drive in a '66 Mustang, straight 6. Sweetness!

First owned car: '71 LTD wagon, 400 inch V8, a lovable boat of a car. I cut my wrenching teeth on that car, replaced the timing chain (!!), cam, hydraulic lifters, pushrods.

Now I drive Volvos but they're the pre-Ford, RWD ones.

I hang out here because we just might switch to soobs when the stock of rwd Volvos dries up - I predict in the next 5-10 years or so.

Ford, by the way, did come up with an extended warranty for the 3.8 even though it was too late for many. And although hard numbers are not available in either case, I suspect that engine did have a lower incidence of head gasket failures than Subaru 2.5 l. I had a 1989 Taurus wagon w. 3.0 which was originally from New Hampshire and was retired at 182300 miles in Feb. 2005 after a steel brake line rusted through.

I turn the rental in tomorrow and get ol blu back with a new engine. the rental, a 2006 OBW with 12,000 miles on it, has that ever sweet smell. Asked the service writer about it, he said he has had a few customers complain about it but could never find the cause.

nipper

Yikes, that's scary. I thought they solved the hg problem with the 2000 year version?? Are the 2.5's doomed to random and frequent hg failure or is there a way around that?

TIA

I don't think all 2.5s are doomed; You can fine quite a debate here if you check the search option.

I just had my ' 99 rebuilt, and for the record it never has had (133k) a headgasket issue. My friend has a '00 outback, same experience no problems at all! Even if it is issue it seems to me that its not a deal breaker for buying a Subaru. I simply increase my maintenance schedule a bit: Add the stop leak if they recomend it, change the coolant at least every two years or sooner, watch my temp gauge, etc,.

Someday it might leave me along side of the rode, but then arguably many other parts could also fail simillarly. Once I was I driving to work ( non Subaru) and everything was perfect, but then the car began to hessitate and moments later I was stranded on the turn pike (AAA is good). Alternator went out, no warning not even a glitch.