Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 torsion bar in EA82

Numbchux

so, I've been thinking. the biggest limitation to the rear suspension travel, is the shocks. with the EA82s, there really isn't a way to do that. but because of the torsion bars on the EA81s, longer shocks can be had.....

soooo.....could an EA81 torsion bar be put under an EA82?

so, I've been thinking. the biggest limitation to the rear suspension travel, is the shocks. with the EA82s, there really isn't a way to do that. but because of the torsion bars on the EA81s, longer shocks can be had.....

soooo.....could an EA81 torsion bar be put under an EA82?

probably with some modification... doesnt the ea82 have a wider wheelbase? I havent owned one so I dont know, but if you have any fabrication skills I bet it wouldnt be hard to cut off the stock mounts and make some new ones on the bar. not sure what it would take to make it wider, maybe cut it in the middle and ???

Only way to know for sure is to try it!

actually if you just want to make it easy(not on the wheelbearings though), redo the mounts and then just get wheels with less backspacing or get some spacers of some kind. good luck sorting out the shocks though.

My brother and I found some shocks that could be modified to fit in the L rear end, they were from a Nissan Gazelle (pintara coupe I think) looked like they just needed the spring perch welded on and longer springs made up, the Honda Accord (commen upgrade for rear L) springs we found were about 4" too short so I would have to say these nissan shocks would be a good upgrade, when colapsed I think they were about 1-2" longer than stock L rears.

My brother and I found some shocks that could be modified to fit in the L rear end, they were from a Nissan Gazelle (pintara coupe I think) looked like they just needed the spring perch welded on and longer springs made up, the Honda Accord (commen upgrade for rear L) springs we found were about 4" too short so I would have to say these nissan shocks would be a good upgrade, when colapsed I think they were about 1-2" longer than stock L rears.

I dont think length is a problem, I think because of the differant track widths there may be trouble making a shock work with the stock locations on the ea82 body and ea81 torsion bar without interferance from the body.

I dont think length is a problem, I think because of the differant track widths there may be trouble making a shock work with the stock locations on the ea82 body and ea81 torsion bar without interferance from the body.

I think he means that he found some that could replace the EA82 coilover setup for longer travel. This is also a good idea....and I'm definately considering it.

yea, that's kinda what I was thinking....but. they use the same diffs. the axles are interchangeable IIRC, and since you can use EA82 rear discs on an EA81, the spindles have to be similar....so they can't be that much different....

track width is different, so the axles are not interchangeable length-wise, though you can use the EA82 cups on the ea81 axles for a slightly better angle.

you can't widen it either by cutting it, as each side torsion bar slides in from the outside, into the splined section in the middle where the rear height adjuster is...