Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stand down! My Subie's been spirited off a hillside near Tucson!

So on a bit of a whim, I decided to take the girlfriend out wheelin' last night: Anyone in or around Tucson should be familiar with Redington Rd. and what a great off-roading area it is... Well, everything was going smoothly for a couple miles on the trail (we were giddy with how well it was performing), when I bogged-down at the top of a hill. No problem, I'd just back down and build up more momentum on the way up. :drunk: Second attempt: made it to the crest, but the front wheels spun out and I started sliding backwards. My mistake: attempting to surmount the hillcrest on the same side that the hill drops off, just because it looked easier. :rolleyes: I slid backwards, off the road and stalled; the engine wouldn't start again because the PR corner of the car was sticking up in the air -- none of the fuel was being taken in. I tried 'lurching' the car back toward the road by cranking the starter and then letting out the clutch, which worked, except for when I started to slide down the non-road part of the hill again.

I finally conceded defeat and rounded up the water and other valuables. We hiked the two miles out the trail and a good five miles down Redington when we were fortunate enough to encounter a fella driving up the mountain willing to give us a ride into town (we were not fortunate enough that he was willing to brave the trail and help rescue the poor Subie). With the help of another Subaru :-p, I'm confident that it can be pulled in the right direction toward the road with my tow strap -- there is, I believe, a sufficiently flat spot to yank from.

If there's anyone in or around Tucson who would be willing, generous and courageous enough to spend a morning or afternoon helping me retrieve my distressed Subaru, I'd be endebted. I'd be happy to reimburse you with gas money and lunch or dinner (and beer), as well. :)

Thanks,

Ryan

Hey,

I'll talk to my cousin today and see if he'd be willing to go out this afternoon. Don't think the honda would make it to where you are? One of his trucks will if he's willing. I'll call and let you know. You shoulda called me!! Didn't get reception??:grin:

-Eli-

:lol: No way the Honda would make it -- this is one of those "WTF is that station wagon doing out here?" trails. No reception; besides, you've already saved my butt plenty. (I hope I'm not establishing an MO for myself :rolleyes:, but if you remember the pictures from a while back, this guy already pulled my dumb rump roast off a ledge, folks.)

Anyhow, if Matt's willing (and interested in a bit of rompin'), I'd be breathing a huge sigh of relief.

Ryan

get a winch or at least carry a come-along.

I don't know if you've ever been to the desert, but there are no trees. Furthermore, there are no suitable rocks to anchor to up-hill from the car. But yes, I do intend to up my trail equipment as my budget allows.

EDIT: You're right, I do need to buy a come-along, as well as something I can create an anchor from. But if I had bought everything I needed to/should, when I needed to/should have, I wouldn't have nearly so many wonderful adventures.

What about using starting fluid to get it running then the carb should be able to keep running?

It's an FI model; at this point I'm afraid she's beyond recovery by her own power -- I kept pushin' her thinking I could salvage the situation, but went a bit too far. I'm just fortunate she didn't slide/roll the rest of the way down the hill (or take a bath in the pickly-pear, yucca and cholla). :dead:

Thank-you, though, for your suggestion!

I don't know if you've ever been to the desert, but there are no trees. Furthermore, there are no suitable rocks to anchor to up-hill from the car. But yes, I do intend to up my trail equipment as my budget allows.

When we lived in Toostoned (which is where we bought our first Subaru, a '78 wagon) we carried an axle from some old car or truck and a maul. You can drive the axle into the ground at an angle and use your winch or comalong from that.

pulling the fuel line at the filter and hanging the hose in a container with gas in it and an extra fuel pump hard wired with alligator clips on the battery may get you out? be easy to do if you had an extra pump on hand.

I suppose I will need to get the car running in order to help extricate itself. I should be able to scrounge up a spare fuel pump. Thanks!

When we lived in Toostoned (which is where we bought our first Subaru, a '78 wagon) we carried an axle from some old car or truck and a maul. You can drive the axle into the ground at an angle and use your winch or comalong from that.

Ah, a great tip! I was too quick to dismiss the idea of a come-along: I've seen things like this before, but damn are they pricey. If I'm unable to find a good rig with a gutsy driver, I may resort to buying a come-along and a sledge/maul... and something small/light enough to pack-in to use as an anchor (two miles on a steep, rocky trail might prove trying to carry an axle and a maul :eek:).

Those Pull Pals work great but are a bit spendy, I would recomend building your own if you want one.

Another good anchor to winch/comealong from in a situation like that is your spare tire. Take your shovel out and dig a hole to lay your spare in so it is about 6" below the surface. wrap a short lenght of chain through the center of the rim to hook your cable to then cover it back over. you would be amazed at how much weight a setup like this will handle. also, if your fuel pickup is not picking up because of the odd angle your car is on you could try just putting in more fuel. Although if you have to pack everything in by hand it would be alot lighter to just pack in a 1/2 galon and another pump.just make sure if you bring in a pump that it has the right presure rating for your fi system. Too bad your not in NW Washington, I'd come rescue ya. I used to do that sort of thing for people all the time. I even worked with the local towing company that did all the 4x4 recovery stuff, I would go in with my Jeep and drag rigs out to where they could get to them with the 4wd tow truck.

same here. i know its hard to get urself unstuch in the desert i used to live in parumph nevada. i suggest the tire method, thing is you need a shovel, i have one of those fold up military shovels, and a come along, ive only been high centerd once, thats what i get for playin on a toyota pit with a stock brat. and if you were in wa i would come help too. my little ru pulled a full size toyota with 33's (blown head gasket) and i dont bog anywhere (thats what i get for knowin hot to tune for performance) what carb do you have on ur ru?

soo... it cant get out under its own power??? Not even in 1st at redline squeeling all the way????????? I dont understand. if it wont start.. i think in 2nd or at least 1st you could use the starter to mabey back out... i dunno.... Im used to 4wd with my dads tacoma.. but i did take blueroo up a hill that it shouldnt of done.. i had to pop the clutch and spin the tires all the way up using my ebrake to stop me when i slid... oh yeah i have pushbutton 4hi.... If tuscon wasnt so long of a drive.. hehe and i wasnt so lazy. i would take my dads tacoma down with the warn on it and rip the roo out of there.... Not being sac relig but.. I think toyos should be a subies friend!

and vise versa, my ru will **** a yota up on the back roads. let alone pull it out of its stuck position. (theres alot of cocky toyota guys that try n dis on my brat, reason for my negitive love for toyota)

soo... it cant get out under its own power??? Not even in 1st at redline squeeling all the way????????? I dont understand. if it wont start.. i think in 2nd or at least 1st you could use the starter to mabey back out... i dunno.... Im used to 4wd with my dads tacoma.. but i did take blueroo up a hill that it shouldnt of done.. i had to pop the clutch and spin the tires all the way up using my ebrake to stop me when i slid... oh yeah i have pushbutton 4hi.... If tuscon wasnt so long of a drive.. hehe and i wasnt so lazy. i would take my dads tacoma down with the warn on it and rip the roo out of there.... Not being sac relig but.. I think toyos should be a subies friend!

Those Pull Pals work great but are a bit spendy, I would recomend building your own if you want one.

Another good anchor to winch/comealong from in a situation like that is your spare tire. Take your shovel out and dig a hole to lay your spare in so it is about 6" below the surface. wrap a short lenght of chain through the center of the rim to hook your cable to then cover it back over. you would be amazed at how much weight a setup like this will handle. also, if your fuel pickup is not picking up because of the odd angle your car is on you could try just putting in more fuel. Although if you have to pack everything in by hand it would be alot lighter to just pack in a 1/2 galon and another pump.just make sure if you bring in a pump that it has the right presure rating for your fi system. Too bad your not in NW Washington, I'd come rescue ya. I used to do that sort of thing for people all the time. I even worked with the local towing company that did all the 4x4 recovery stuff, I would go in with my Jeep and drag rigs out to where they could get to them with the 4wd tow truck.

The buried tire idea is great -- I'm going to try it this afternoon.

I'm really starting to wish I lived in Washington. Thanks, though, for the sentiment. :D

same here. i know its hard to get urself unstuch in the desert i used to live in parumph nevada. i suggest the tire method, thing is you need a shovel, i have one of those fold up military shovels, and a come along, ive only been high centerd once, thats what i get for playin on a toyota pit with a stock brat. and if you were in wa i would come help too. my little ru pulled a full size toyota with 33's (blown head gasket) and i dont bog anywhere (thats what i get for knowin hot to tune for performance) what carb do you have on ur ru?

Well, next time I'm stuck in Washington I'll know who to call on. :rolleyes: Thanks anyway!

No carb -- FI. I'll have to take pictures so you get the idea what a fuxored state it's in. :cool:

I'll take pictures. It's stucker than a muthaf***er.

Come on, don't ya wanna come visit Tucson? :brow:

DUDES...... isn't there anyone on this board in his area that will help this poor soul get his soobie? .....holy moly i'd do it just for the adventure and challenge......BUT I LIVE IN WASHINGTON.........i may be a noobie on this site .....BUT THIS GUY NEEDS A HAND......:eek:

dixracing and subaru_mechanic, I appreciate your adventurous spirits -- they're quite refreshing! :)

I bit the bullet and bought a good come-along and length of chain. I just hope CBP hasn't come across the car yet and ransacked it looking for drugs (this is a common trafficking area -- for all I know, I was under surveillance the entire time).

I couldn't find a ride out to the area this afternoon, but lined one up for tomorrow. I just hope I can get Shamaru out after hiking in, otherwise I'll be stuck, too. :rolleyes:

I live down south a bit in Sierra Vista. I gotta be at work early tommarow, but I could come up on Friday late morning/early afternoon. Just let me know if that'd work.

Dave

Sweet, thanks! That would be perfect -- I get off work at 7 in the morning. :rolleyes: Eli (SuBrat84) and I are going out to try to rescue the car manually (come-along-to-buried-tire method) this afternoon. Whether or not we're successful, I'll send you a PM this evening. Thank-you again for the offer! :clap:

If i had gas money... if i had anyMONEY!!! I would come down.... havnt been on a road trip since i got my roo!!! And my dad wouldnt pay or really let me take the yota out.... he thinks i will go rompin..... and WHY WOULDNT I??? ITS A FREAKING 6 CYL TOYOTA!!!!...... and not the new ones that are to big for there own good... 04! same if i had a off road subie my cars built for street!......... sorry money plays into this account!!:-\

good luck with the extraction.

Just take care to bring some anchors or maybe some blocks to keep the car from rolling back down. Nothing sucks more than to gain some ground and have the car roll back down to a worse spot b/c you had to adjust the cables/ropes.

bW