Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Unusual starter problem EJ22

This problem seems to appear around every 3 to 6 months and it even happened at the dealer.

I try to start the engine and the starter doesn't respond. The starter has been looked at and no problems found. When it happened at the dealer, they said the auto trans selector wasn't in park completely, causing the interlock to prevent the engine from starting. Tried moving the gear selector up and down the range, tried starting with selector in neutral. No start. My mechanic suggested I examine the interlock wire on the starter. It came off rather easily, cleaned the dirt and streched the connector out a little and re-attached to starter. No start. No corrosion on battery terminal or connection to starter. Another mechanic suggested the neutral safety switch may be bad.

Slammed the door really hard in anger being stranded in Moab UT, the car started and has started everytime since the problem appeared. For the next 3 or 6 months.

No mechanic can fix the problem or suggest what could be wrong unless the car is experiencing the problem.

Any ideas?

Yah, contacts. Maybe it's happening only when the starter is resting in a particular position (like intermittent contact) and banging on it or anything gets it going again. Someone posted recently about a contact set that was actually for some other vehicle like GM or something available at autozone that was the same size as what we need.

I've never taken one apart but yah the contacts are in there somewhere. It can be a lot cheaper to replace them than to replace the starter with a new OE one, but salvage yard starters are very inexpensive so it depends how much you want to mess with it, and that might not even be the problem; maybe there's a bad connection between the ignition and the starter or something.

Whoa there!

Only needs two bolts to remove the starter. Contacts are cheap and easily replaced.

If you're not too confident you can just remove the starter and find a shop that will overhaul the starter.

Contacts are shared with Toyota's and probably a bunch of other Japanese makes.

I just replaced mine a few months ago. Easy. The contacts are in the solenoid housing right next to the starter motor. I got the contact from a starter rebuild place, but it seems from what I read here that you could get them from other sources.

Make a search on this board and you'll find tons of info about starter conctacts replacement.

I just replaced the contacts in my 95 Legacy a couple weeks ago--cheap and easy to do, but I still had a few "non-contact" moments over a few days. Being a well seasoned Subaru driver, I took a small hammer and tapped the solenoid--then it started. Now it's been several days without a hiccup, and fingers are slowly uncrossing.:)

Contacts are shared with Toyota's and probably a bunch of other Japanese makes.

Haha, reminds me of the time I was working at a Toyota dealer, and used Toyota starter contacts to rebuild the white 93 Legacy wagon's starter. Too bad it was the solenoid going bad and not the contacts (starter still clicked afterwards).

It's a simple explanation: Subaru uses NipponDenso starters, and so does Toyota :-\

The problem may be with the solenoid contacts but until you can prove that the solenoid is getting voltage from the small wire to it then the problem still may be with the inhibit switch. I wouldn't tear into the starter until that is checked or the unit is ready for a rebuild anyway.

I just replaced the contacts in my 95 Legacy a couple weeks ago--cheap and easy to do, but I still had a few "non-contact" moments over a few days. Being a well seasoned Subaru driver, I took a small hammer and tapped the solenoid--then it started. Now it's been several days without a hiccup, and fingers are slowly uncrossing.:)

That's why it's a good idea to test the solenoid with a meter or a continuity device before closing the housing. If the contacts are not exactly at the same level (and it's easy to displace them a little when tightening their holding bolts) the contact will not be perfect on both sides of the plunger contact disc. It's a good thing though that this contact disc is spring mounted and can adapt to a small difference in the side contact positions.