Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 2.2 157K What would cause a clutch to slip and then not to slip. Yesterday I was driving along and upon the slightest acceleration the clutch would slip in 3,4,and5. After I got in fifth it went away. Today i floored it going up a steep hill in fifth and no clutch slip. What gives? I realize at 160k the original clutch is on borrowed time but it seems to work fine. Also seemingly unrelated the centering spring is now gone on the 1,2 side. The shift into 3 and 4 seems easier, smoother now...is that possible?

Those are possible.

Your cable could also be hanging and causing the clutch to drag since it won't be enaged 100%.

Also, the shaft upon which the throw-out bearing slides tends to dry out and the bearing may not move freely. Does the clutch pedal produce "creak" sound during the last inch of travel toward the carpet?

Those are possible.

Your cable could also be hanging and causing the clutch to drag since it won't be enaged 100%.

Also, the shaft upon which the throw-out bearing slides tends to dry out and the bearing may not move freely. Does the clutch pedal produce "creak" sound during the last inch of travel toward the carpet?

OOoooh, good post!

I once had a Honda that had carpet fuzz built up on the clutch cable inside - bad joo-joo.

(his car has a cable?)

Carl

I agree the clutch is probably going. 160K is a lot.

Don't new generation Subarus have hydraulically actuated clutches?

If it is hydraulic check that the slave cylinder isn't loose. It is stretch, I know. I had to remove it when replacing the knock sensor on my GT.

Yes it is a cable actuated clutch. Yes there is a creak sound...has come and gone for 100k miles. what does it mean though? Will highway driving appreciably wear my clutch? That is, I should be able to drive awhile on the freeway yet? Thanks, I'm trying to drive this car to utah (1200 miles).

You might want to check the clutch fork. I thought the clutch was going out on my legacy but it turned out to be a cracked fork. When I first noticed that it felt like it was slipping it would only do it sometimes. Then progressively got worse from there.

Jason

fork is fine...Im just wondering how the clutch can slip seemingly out of the blue and so severly...it was slipping in 3rd...and then the next moment be completely gone. Is it possible that transmission fluid is leaking and then gets burned off when the clutch slips? or oil? I don't know...trans fluid level seems fine and normal...its not using any oil...or much.

• 2 months later...
Those are possible.

slightly off the car type, but my SJ 410 clutch creeks going all the way down LMAO! and it sometimes slips alot, or it can quite happily spin all 4 wheels (on mud of course) ive always wondered why now i know!