Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's been winter here for awhile; the pic on my User Name was what I awoke too 3 weeks ago. This is my first outback, I have had 7 older subs, 3 81 4x4 wagons, 1 84 2 wdr coupe and a 86 2wdr wagon. I finally bought this one, the heated seat are devine and I use them all the time. Its gutless, get bad gas milelage but can drive through snow better than the full size 4x4 trucks. After being away from the Subaru family for 10 years I a happy to be back.

My Subaru's wheel wells seem to be filling up with snow, is this normal. I can actally feel the car bottoming out on the snow.
Yes, that's normal. Don't worry about it. Just make sure to clean the accumulated dirt out the fender wells every so often to help prevent rust.

Yeah, it's somewhat normal with the smaller fender clearances of the new gen subies. However... that doesn't mean it's good. My dad's OBW can actually get so it's hard to steer there's so much snow jammed in the front fenders. I don't know of a fix, but the silicon spray idea might have merit.

Yah I've had the snow build up so bad in the wheel wheels especially it turns to ice that you can hear it rubbing on the tire when making a turn. I try to kick it out with boots on or flush some water on it or something. The silicone idea - I like it I'm going to give it a try. If you buy silicone by the gallon and use the harbor freight rechargable DIY spray can it is a lot cheaper than the aeresol cans.

Yah I've had the snow build up so bad in the wheel wheels especially it turns to ice that you can hear it rubbing on the tire when making a turn. I try to kick it out with boots on or flush some water on it or something. The silicone idea - I like it I'm going to give it a try. If you buy silicone by the gallon and use the harbor freight rechargable DIY spray can it is a lot cheaper than the aeresol cans.

I have the same issue with my Forester.Where is silicone available by the gallon?

Thanks

I've also read that "no-stick" pan spray (aka PAM) works too.

I've got some of both products around here somewhere, maybe I'll try PAM on one side and silicone spray on the other. I'll report back here with results..the snow is coming any time now... :-\

Well dudes you can get silicone by the gallon, and heck the 55 gallon drum if you want, under the brand name Lubricone from KanoLabs. They also make other products, such as Kroil which is regarded by many as the top of the line penetrating oil. They say they sell only to businesses but if you just put something in the company name box in the checkout they'll send it to you. I've tried a lot of their stuff, and if you use even a moderate amount of these kinds of things get some of the diy spray bottles from harbor freight man I love those things.