Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 Lug swap Shenanigans

NoahDL88

So, i got a couple of problems, the tire rub i can figure out on my own, but I'm running into a grand fubar with the axles.

I'm currently running XT-6 hubs outboard, and the GL non turbo tranny inboard.

The problem i'm having is that i can't get the inner race for the inner cup to fit on the XT-6 axle, but I was able to get the GL cup to fit on an Impreza (gen 1) axle, but i can't now get the XT-6 outer cup to fit on the Impreza inner race.

I'm sure that made tons of sense.

Anyway, if anyone has put the XT-6 hubs on a non turbo tranny please pipe in, the x-mas tree run is in 2 weeks, and i won't be able to impress the the girls in the Impreza.

Umm....ttiwwop?

I think there's an axle that'll work....i just dont remember which one.

IIRC...all the EJ's are 25 spline....but that doesnt mean there isnt an axle shaft that wont work/interchange to work.

I wonder...if you could swap the 23's for 25's in the actual diff.

MT or AT?

Its a 5mt, dual range, non turbo, the 23 spline one.

I was able to get the EA inner cup on a Gen 1 Impreza axle, so i've put a post up on NWIC to see if i can get a set of impreza front bits as a last resort.

As great as the front e-brake is, at this point it comes secondary to running, and theres always the 240sx? rear caliper swap.

I ran into that too. I didn't want to beat the crap out of my new struts (Legacy) to get them to fit onto my wagon's knuckles (XT6) so I got Legacy knuckles and axles and found a Legacy caliper bracket that would accept XT6 front calipers.. I will worry about a rear E-brake later if I ever want larger brakes..

If you're interested, the Legacy caliper bracket was from a 2.5 RS.. I THINK. I went through a couple of different brackets before I found some that accepted the XT6 caliper.

Huzzah for teh spell checker :rolleyes:

What i think i'm gonna do, is go with impreza axles with the GL inner cup, and impreza knuckles brakes and hubs. Those should work, I hope, and i'll be swapping in an RX tranny soon, (within a year fingers crossed) so once i do that i'll either have the 25 spline front diff, or i'll keep the 23 spline cause i'll have the case apart anyway.

I read somewhere (Can't remember where) that the axle shafts for a three-speed automatic equipped TURBO EA82 are the larger, beefier axles BUT they have a 23 spline inner joint, and from what I read those inner cups will fit on the XT6 axle shaft but I've never tried it. (I've also learned that just because the box says it's a turbo M/T shaft, doesn't mean it's a 25 spline shaft...)

wont he have to convert to a rear ebrake then?? becuase the impreza knuckle will need hubs rotor and caliper to?????

yea....that is the one and only downside. although baccaruda found a way to mount an XT6 caliper to an EJ knuckle....and maintain the front handbrake.

but in all reality, the 200SX rear caliper swap is VERY easy!

Stories like this are why I'm just going to redrill my brakes for Toyo 6-lugs. Faster, cheaper, no haddocks.

yep, for offroad, that would be the preferred method...however for us street/track guys, the bigger brakes that come with the 5-lug conversion are of much importance

I think the bigger brakes are more important for the offroaders, the added rotational mass of swampers makes any EA series with stock brakes downright dangerous

hmm...I suppose. although an EA on oversized tires and with good working 4-wheel discs has more stopping power than virtually any other lifted rig out there. I've driving a few buddy's rigs....jeeps and such.....yikes!

if you're using EJ knuckles, than FWD impreza axles will be the missing link. They've got 23-spline inner cups, and will slide right onto a non-turbo GL tranny.
yep - that's the claimed axle that makes it possible to swap a non-turbo EA82 trans into an XT6. that was discussed and voiced with benebobs transmission swap thread. probably some good 5 lug and suspension information at xt6.net for the people doing swaps and stuff

yep - that's the claimed axle that makes it possible to swap a non-turbo EA82 trans into an XT6. that was discussed and voiced with benebobs transmission swap thread. probably some good 5 lug and suspension information at xt6.net for the people doing swaps and stuff

not just claimed. I pulled a set of FWD impreza axles from one here at a junkyard for austin, and tested them on a number of trannies I had laying around. fit perfectly onto a non-turbo d/r tranny, did not fit on a FWD legacy tranny, or my RX tranny....