Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water in frame rail? '01 OBW.

Recently purchased an '01 OBW and whenever we have some considerable rain I can hear water sloshing under the car somewhere. I finally crawled under there after driving the car onto a flat surface, incline and then a decline. I saw water pouring out of what looks like a round hole in the driver side frame rail. What's going on here? How does it get there (not parking in a stream) and should I be concerned with rust? Thanks.

Recently purchased an '01 OBW and whenever we have some considerable rain I can hear water sloshing under the car somewhere. I finally crawled under there after driving the car onto a flat surface, incline and then a decline. I saw water pouring out of what looks like a round hole in the driver side frame rail. What's going on here? How does it get there (not parking in a stream) and should I be concerned with rust? Thanks.

Have you checked the spare tire wheel well? Do you have a Sunroof? You should most definately be concerned with rust! I would focus on where the water is getting in.

When was the last time you made sure all your body drains were free of clogs?

nipper

Spare tire area is dry and I do have a sunroof. Nothing is wet inside the car.

Have not checked any body drains. Where are they located? Definitely concerned about rust, last Subie was an '89 GL that turned into a Fred Flinstone car.

Thanks.

Have not checked any body drains. Where are they located? Definitely concerned about rust, last Subie was an '89 GL that turned into a Fred Flinstone car.

Thanks.

I would bet it is leaking through your sunroof. Perform a search here, you will find some valuable advice. Good luck.

I recently had the headliner out of my 02 OBW and there are 6 drain hoses for the sunroof. The ones in the middle of the car and the rear route down the C pillar, join together just behind the rear wheel well and exit the car body, between the rear bumper cover and the body of the car. The fronts go down the A pillar and drain somewhere near the bottom of the front fenders. I would have a hard time believing that they would empty into your frame rails at all. What I see happening is that your frame rail drains are all likely plugged up with dirt and debris that has been thrown back by the front wheels. Pull the front mud flaps and I think you'll find that the frame rails behind them are filling with water that is flung upwards by the tires and is running down behind the mudflaps into the frame rails, or it is getting in from your cowl drains. One thing for sure, you want to get whatever is causing the water to gather in the frame rail sorted out before you have some major structural damage. Good Luck!

Hi there very interesting situation this has been a problemin legacies and outbacks from 1997-1999 I worked in a dealer and there was no outback or legacies from 2000 and up with this problem I would say that you have a drain issue somewhere, for starters have you had someone look at this problem at all? From there you it should send you in a good direction even though water leaks are a pain to find and follow. good luck man let us know how you make out I know I am curious.

• 1 year later...

Have not checked any body drains. Where are they located? Thanks.

Did you figure out where the drains are located... and how to get to them for cleaning ?

Have same problem and would appreciate any help you might be able to share.

Thank you for your help.