Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I hate reman axles!!!

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, they had a couple of the reman axles from AutoZone - I took them out of the box & checked them out ... not what I would think was good stuff ... the joint was sloppy & I could just shake it & it would wobble loosely. The shaft had nicks in it & was painted. I couldn't tell if they had been balanced or not.

I'm waiting on the new axles from MW Enterprises - $240 for 2 of them shipped. Not the best price I've seen, but I'm told they rival the GCKs ... I'll report on them when I get them.

• 7 months later...
I knew autozone couldn't be right about them being discontinued :rolleyes:. That just makes no sense - if they were going to do that for old cars they would have discontinued the EA81 axles I've been buying long ago.

Well that does suck - maybe just get some boot's for now and a couple tubes of grease.

Here - read my write up on axles. Give you a good idea of how to replace those boots. It's actually quite easy:

http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/axle_rebuilding.html

BTW - what does it take to establish an account with them?

GD

So i know im like 5 years late for this post but ive been searching for GCK axles for the past few days and i cant seem to get ahold of them. Kragens, Autozone, Napa, all say they cant get ahold of them and that there distributors cant get ahold of them. I ordered some new duralast axles from autozone just to get me by but i would rather go GCK. If you have any input on this that would be appriciated. Thanks.

I'm no fan of reman. axles either; but necessity dictates..........:rolleyes:

Anyway, I have used the "kragen" ones (don't remember the brand) they lasted 5 yrs before the boots tore. The boot over the Y-pipe cat goes first:mad: .

Now, I have axles from Carquest, $74.99 + tax in both of my EA-82 Sube's.

I just don't like the way the put the clamps on the boots.......not tight enough, grease leaks out on the Y-pipe cat and make for a heck of a stink on a hot day :mad: .

Never had a problem with the axle nuts, but who knows.............:lol: I could happen.

Good Luck, whatever you decide :) .

• 7 months later...
By the way, they had a couple of the reman axles from AutoZone - I took them out of the box & checked them out ... not what I would think was good stuff ... the joint was sloppy & I could just shake it & it would wobble loosely. The shaft had nicks in it & was painted. I couldn't tell if they had been balanced or not.

I'm waiting on the new axles from MW Enterprises - $240 for 2 of them shipped. Not the best price I've seen, but I'm told they rival the GCKs ... I'll report on them when I get them.

I can't believe I just quoted myself ... hehee!

Well, I get major clicking on both left and right hand turns of the wheel now. WOW, those didn't last long!

Wow, I have to send props out and give a thumbs-up to Marshall over at MWE Axles ...

I installed my new ones I got from him (I was going crazy finding some from AutoZone, etc ... if you look earlier in this thread). This was in January. Over the past month, my axles have been clickin' more & more & now it's pretty noticable. I wrote them a couple days ago, asking about warranty info, and here's what I got back.

Mark

Our axles carry a 1-year warranty. Unfortunately your axle has past that point.

Heres where you think I am going to nail you! But I'm not.

The axle should not be making any noise. So I will build you another axle for your car, and because of the problem I will install a new CV, PROVIDED THE BOOT IS NOT RIPPED!

If you can contact me and let me know if shipping information is the same, I will get it out to you No Charge on Monday or Tuesday.

I will e-mail you with shipping information when axle ships.

Hope this helps and sorry for any inconvenience.

Please send bad axle back in box.

Thanks

Marshall

WOW! Talk about standing behind your product!!!!! AWESOME!!! I just checked, the boots are in good shape. This guy is like 2,000 miles from me - he wouldn't have to care less one way or another. I wish there were more people out there like him! I didn't beech, I didn't complain, he hasn't seen pics, etc etc etc. He just said "Boom - let's get you fixed-up!". He could have sent a generic letter saying "Please refer to our warranty policy ...". he doesn't know I'm from these boards, he doesn't know about word-of mouth I could post here ... he just plain takes care of his customers.

Anyone else have axle stories? I couldn't more highly recommend this guy!

OUR AXLES ARE REMANUFACTURED USING ALL NEW PARTS

I believe that everyone remanufacturing anything, be it axles, or alternators, use the best available parts.

The "trouble" comes in where those parts are, maybe not so good, or not as good as they should be.

We are not strictly dealing with a domestic market, we are living in a global village, and what passes for "quality" in our eyes is not necessarily the case elsewhere.

This is not only evident in the auto industry, when I recently had a HP printer quit, I took apart the power supply, that was full of "cold solder joints". I quickly fixed those connections, in that "made in China" power supply, and that printer has not missed a beat since the repair.

The "modern" prevailing attitude seems to be, that EVERYTHING is a commodity, buy it, use it up, and throw it away.