Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FLASHER Problem - DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

Here I am...on the message board, begging for anyone who has some detailed explanation of where the flasher is in a 1991 Subaru Loyale 4WD Wagon!

All 4 signals light up, but none actually flash. When I turn on the hazards, they still dont flash.

Where can I fix this?

Im going crazy. I have had my dad look at it, he can't find where to replace the flasher, and we have also called the Dealers, they said they werent exactly sure.

Help, Anyone?

And if you have a graphic that shows where its at on the car...i love you 100x more! lol

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to my hell and i figured it out. With out drawing something i will try to explain where it is. You have to remove the cover that covers the ECU under the steering column. This is the semi hard part, easy if your skinny, hard if not, you need to get a flash light and look strait up into the dash from underneath. You will see 4 relays mounted side by side. I think they are all silver. The flasher relay is mounted to that bracket the 4 relays are mounted to. You can't get to it with out removing it. It takes two screws to take out and a lot of wiggling. Once its hanging down the flasher relay is black and has a 3 wire plug on in.

Hope i didn't confuse you any more but thats the best i can describe it.

I use synthetic blinker fluid in mine. Keeps those blinkers flashing real well.
you got a good source on that my dealer over charges me a ton on the synthetic stuff but it does work better. i noticed a faster more accurate turn signal when i switched over from conventional blinker fluid

Thanks a lot mellow

I will relay this to my dad, and have him try to find it, because I dont want to take it to the shop for some thing like this.

I got mine from the junk yard for a $1.50. it's not something that goes out to often, but for the $80+ the dealer wanted for it I was going to take my chance with the junk yard one. Heck I grabbed a couple just encase.

Oh one other thing, you really can't see the flasher relay from the bottom. So you just have to go on my word that it's there. And tell him he's going to need a really stubby phillips screwdriver or it sucks to get the screws out. at the junk yard i didn't have one so i had to unplug the wires from the ECU to get room for a screwdriver.

Funny Guys

lol blinker fluid...im not that out of it....dont know a lot about cars, but I know there isn't any blinker fluid. :clap:

well then we won't even mention flushing your tires of the summer air and putting winter air in them :D

nipper

Really? Nitrogen? I used Helium to fill mine up. My car starts to lift off the ground at high speeds. Guess that's not safe now, is it?

Well there is all this talk of hydrogen, maybe that will make your car an hybrid if you switch to that. Helium just gives you a funny exhaust note

nipper