Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why the wide range of used engine prices? 1995 EJ22?

Anyone care to speculate as to how chop shops are able to charge anywhere between $200 and $1500 for (by description) virtually the same engine?

Started looking for a 1996 EJ25, bailed on that, now feeling happy to have settled on a 1995 EJ22 (going into my 96 OBW AT) . (2.5's are consistently pricier).

Who the heck would pay $1500 when they can pay half or a quarter of that, or am I missing a legitimate break point issue?

Do auto insurance markets have anything to do with it?

Bottom line, I realize that no matter what I end up with is going to be a gamble.

Doesnt really seem to be any way to ensure much beyond the engine going into the car.

Is there any way to help tip the scales in my favor of helping to find a unit that might be in better shape and will the price I pay have anything to do with it?

(will spending $900 suggest that the engine is in anyway better than one I pay $250 for (beyond mileage and the short amount that some shops actually cough up (broken parts, etc...).

-John

I ran in to the same thing w/my 97 Outback. 2.5's cost more because of supply/demand...hard to find because of all the head gasket failures...I looked forever before going with the 95 2.2. Paying more does not mean better, I've been screwed before going that route. Try to buy from a salvage yard with a good reputation...ask questions...like did they compression test...where was the car hit...in the front...how hard...I even ask to check the doner car...if its available. Folks who take good care of their cars usually change the oil. Check the engine closely before paying. Its always a gamble...hope this helps your odds...good luck...

Anyone care to speculate as to how chop shops are able to charge anywhere between $200 and $1500 for (by description) virtually the same engine?

Started looking for a 1996 EJ25, bailed on that, now feeling happy to have settled on a 1995 EJ22 (going into my 96 OBW AT) . (2.5's are consistently pricier).

Who the heck would pay $1500 when they can pay half or a quarter of that, or am I missing a legitimate break point issue?

Do auto insurance markets have anything to do with it?

Bottom line, I realize that no matter what I end up with is going to be a gamble.

Doesnt really seem to be any way to ensure much beyond the engine going into the car.

Is there any way to help tip the scales in my favor of helping to find a unit that might be in better shape and will the price I pay have anything to do with it?

(will spending $900 suggest that the engine is in anyway better than one I pay $250 for (beyond mileage and the short amount that some shops actually cough up (broken parts, etc...).

-John

Thats true with any used auto part.

nipper

My 96 2.5 has 241,000 miles on it and ill be rebuilding it in the spring .The wrecking yard here wants $1350 for a used one,for the money they want you could get a rebuild kit and put it together youreself with money left over.I just have to make my motor last through the winter.

My 96 2.5 has 241,000 miles on it and ill be rebuilding it in the spring .The wrecking yard here wants $1350 for a used one,for the money they want you could get a rebuild kit and put it together youreself with money left over.I just have to make my motor last through the winter.
Let me know where you can get a "rebuild kit", for a Subaru, I've never seen one, at least not one like you can get for USA engines. You usually have to buy individual pieces. I have seen what was called a rebuild gasket kit, but didn't include the head gaskets. Most people around here get JDM engines and use their US intakes, but still those cost it that same ball park for price. We have "you pull' wrecking yards around here where any engine that you pull is around $200, but I haven't heard of any 2.5s in those yards yet, plus that would probably be in the same condition as the tired engine your aready have.

As for the question possed by this thread, it is supply and demand. 1996 was the first year for the EJ25, it wasn't as widely used as in was it 97 and on (which up to 99 was that same engine). Subarus are not on every street corner (well at least not everywhere), so there aren't that many to choose from.