Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Doing the T-Belt/H2O pump on the 92 legacy

Alright .

Im not paying anybody to work on my car.

The Garage is cold but a christmas without presents is even colder.

Especially for my 4 yr old if dad spends all the money on the cars.:brow:

I have done a T-Belt on multi VW and a 1 90 Loyale.

Is this the same in the 92 legacy EJ22E motor?

Anybody have a link to a walk thru?

What seals can I replace while its in the garage?

Car has 229k miles and PO , who has had it since day one says she has never had it done.:eek:

Water pump

Oil pump seal (actually at that age i would replace the oil pump)

cam seals

main seal

timing belt idlers

Thermostat

nipper

If you've done a timing belt before you should find the Subaru job pretty easy and a huge savings over having it done at a dealer. Just pick up your OE parts online and you should be good to go. Nipper's list looks good to me. Usually the toothed/geared idler near the water pump is the troublesome one. If you search on EndWrench.com you can usually find some good information about these jobs.

One more thing. When you do this job pull out the radiator and inspect the front of it. Its not necassary for the TB replacement, but at thiat mileage, its not uncomon for the fins in the radiator to no longer exist. This way you can inspect them and see what condition they are in.

nipper

I found a deal on Ebay for the following KIT by preferred components, new.

Tell me if this sounds good?

Kit is for 90-96 Subaru Legacy/Impreza

Timing belt (13028-aa102)

Timing belt tensioner (13069-aa037)

Timing belt idler (2) (13073-aa142)

Timing belt idler sprocket (13085-aa010)

Shipped to my door for $89

Also found a new beck Arnely water pump for $38 shipped.

#131-2102

If these are good deals then Im ordering them up and getting ready to get dirty.

Any tricks to getting the main bolt off the crank since i dont have the special tool or the chain wrench?

I found a deal on Ebay for the following KIT by preferred components, new.

Tell me if this sounds good?

Kit is for 90-96 Subaru Legacy/Impreza

Timing belt (13028-aa102)

Timing belt tensioner (13069-aa037)

Timing belt idler (2) (13073-aa142)

Timing belt idler sprocket (13085-aa010)

Shipped to my door for $89

Also found a new beck Arnely water pump for $38 shipped.

#131-2102

If these are good deals then Im ordering them up and getting ready to get dirty.

Any tricks to getting the main bolt off the crank since i dont have the special tool or the chain wrench?

NO NO NO NO NO

BACK AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER

We have had people in the past buy parts on ebay with mixed results. Some parts you can take a risk on some you cant.

Get the parts from a reputable dealer, either subaru or a mom and pop outfit.

nipper

i vote for nippers list above. on interference engines i always use Subaru only (those are 1997 and up 2.2's and any 2.5's). i have no experiece or specific reason other than the Subaru parts are proven. on yours i'd be willing to install other manufacturers items since it's a non-interference engine.

We have had people in the past buy parts on ebay
were those on the forum here? any links or recall the user, i'd like to see those.

i vote for nippers list above. on interference engines i always use Subaru only (those are 1997 and up 2.2's and any 2.5's). i have no experiece or specific reason other than the Subaru parts are proven. on yours i'd be willing to install other manufacturers items since it's a non-interference engine.

were those on the forum here? any links or recall the user, i'd like to see those.

yes they were on the forum, but its been a while so i cant recall.

Well there are two issues here, not so much interference engine, but when you are stuck on the side of the raod, usually in bad weather, waiting for a tow truck, usually on a sunday, then the time it takes to reinstall the parts and the cost, its just better to di it with the right parts the first time.

nipper

not to mention the whinning passnger that is complaing.....

I dont see how these parts are gonna be any different then the Subaru parts since there are only so manufacturers out there.

They all use the same supplier and then rebrand them.

At least thats how I look at it.

Not to mention the costs are cut in half!

i used to work for Standard Auto Parts. We had a huge problem with counterfit parts from china. Dont assume that "they are the only ones that make them" Subaru does NOT make these parts, but the parts do have to meet Subaru spec to become a sunbaru part (and they are tested). Same goes with body parts, hence why you make sure your getting only OE body parts when the car is damaged.

Now where do you think the rejects go? Also there is a HUGE business in counterfit parts, literaly right down to the nuts and bolts.

I have been a design engineer and a buyer, i can tell you stories of vavles that would come in and have a 90% failure rate. now where do you think those failures went to?

Look in any industrail supplu director (thompsons) ther are literally 100's of bearing manufaturers for example, but very few i would buy from.

penny wise and dollar foolish.

nipper

I dont see how these parts are gonna be any different then the Subaru parts since there are only so manufacturers out there.

They all use the same supplier and then rebrand them.

At least thats how I look at it.

Not to mention the costs are cut in half!

Think about the time you are putting into the project, and what your time is worth. I tried non-oem once on my old 88 GL and ended up doing the job three times becuase the after market stuff is junk. For timing belt, seals, etc. stay away from the aftermarket. For starters, alt, pumps etc go for it.

My .153 cents

I know it is tempting when seeing low prices but I would stick with OE parts. Yes they may cost a little more but you know what you're getting and a history of reliability. If you buy them online from a Subaru dealer (not from a local dealer) you will be able to get them for maybe not a whole lot above dealer cost.

But it also depends on what you use the car for; if it's used for work and there is no spare/backup vehicle then I would not skimp. If it's just a short drive to work and/or there is backup vehicle in the driveway then the risk might be worth it.

The on ebay is theimportexperts .

They are a power seller and there feedback is 99.9%.

About 3k feedback and all clutchs and T-belt kits.

I think Im going down this road as I have installed alot of Ebay clutchs with good results.

The water pump aswell since its a Beck and Arnly and thats what the local shops sell.

Yep, here's a link to the chain wrench I used. It seems to be very nice quality for the price. HF is awesome for great deals. OK, so maybe some of the stuff isn't the highest quality and it's all made in China, but it's a fun place to shop.

I wrapped a piece of an old accessory belt around the crank pulley to protect it whilst loosening the bolt which was very tight. Of course getting the bolt back in properly is critical so it doesn't loosen up over time and damage the crank snout.

I looked at that kit you mentioned on eBay and from appearance it looks good, it looks a lot like OE, the pulley colors might be a little different but who knows maybe it's worth a shot. A '92 would be non-interference so that's good.

Thanx for the info.

As far as the kit.............

I dont wanna spend a bunch of money on parts when I bought the car for $500.

Its just my daily driver/go to the snow rig.

Its a disposable car in my book.

Not that i wanna loose it, just not putting that much into it.

Drive it till ish breaks.

Which usually isnt my moto.

I like to fix things before they break.