Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil and antifreeze degrade the timing belt. i'm not sure what you're asking though. if youre asking about waiting until summer, then yes you'll most likely be fine and the oil probably isn't pouring, coagulating and splattering everywhere yet if it's minor seapage (very typical). even if the timing belt was getting oil all over i'd bet it'd make it to summer anyway. i would wait until summer and replace the belt and seals then.

if you're asking should you install the new belt and leave the seals seaping as is, then i'd recommend against that.

You can wait as long as you dont mind breathing in oil fumes from burning off the exhaust. the one you cant wait for is when the oil pump or main seal goes, then the car will hemorage oil.

Oil wont get on the belt as long as those two other seals are ok.

nipper

oil and antifreeze degrade the timing belt. i'm not sure what you're asking though. if youre asking about waiting until summer, then yes you'll most likely be fine and the oil probably isn't pouring, coagulating and splattering everywhere yet if it's minor seapage (very typical). even if the timing belt was getting oil all over i'd bet it'd make it to summer anyway. i would wait until summer and replace the belt and seals then.

if you're asking should you install the new belt and leave the seals seaping as is, then i'd recommend against that.

Sorry I ment waiting a bit to do it all. I am going to do timing belt, cam, crank, oil pump seals, etc. but wanted to wait until summer to do this. But wanted to make sure this small leak would not ruin his belt if I do not get to it for 6 months.

Sorry I ment waiting a bit to do it all. I am going to do timing belt, cam, crank, oil pump seals, etc. but wanted to wait until summer to do this. But wanted to make sure this small leak would not ruin his belt if I do not get to it for 6 months.

i'm sure you're not planning on reusing the belt next summer, so your real question is will the oil make the belt fail in the next 6 months. i'd bet not, but how miles on the belt and how many miles per month? i can't believe that they would make a belt that oil destroys radidly. just my guess.

agree, no big deal. it would certainly take a long time for oil/coolant to degrade a belt, well beyond 6 months. i'd submerge a belt 6 months in the stuff and still feel confident driving it for another 6 months!

Great, that was what I was thinking also but wanted to get others thoughts.