Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I plugged EGR on Carb model ...

My cows produce more emissions with their gas than a handful of automobiles with ALL their emisssions control devices removed. When people start reducing their beef consumption to help the enviroment, I'll take automobile emissions much more seriously.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If everyone that is on these automobile forums removed their egr's, it would be an extreemly small percentage increase in total emissions into the air. It's not going to harm ANYONE.

No kiddin. Industry is the killer here. EGR are not a drop in a bucket, it's more like a tenth of a drop in a thousand oceans. Probably less.

And another thing, somebody saying theres more trees-------------bah. so what? Second growth compared to intact old growth------- well---------hogwash. And I worked for the forest service for 25 years-------(not to defend their practices, just that I am educated in the issures)

My EGR is long gone. Just one more thing I'll NEVER have to repair or think about again. If it was a far newer car, I'd leave emmisions stuff alone, of course.

Pyro

My cows produce more emissions with their gas than a handful of automobiles with ALL their emisssions control devices removed. When people start reducing their beef consumption to help the enviroment, I'll take automobile emissions much more seriously.

You are not even wrong. !

I am not the oldest wisest man in the world... but did start learning cars when they went through dramatic changes (the late 70's -80's-90's and today- they are all quite notably different).

My first 30mpg car was quite an epiphany,- a straight piped, non-emissioned 1.6 liter 3 speed auto chevette that screamed bloody mercy for rpms in the 60's mph (top speed to be normal was rpms like a "rice rocket" motorcycle). It was horrible durability, etc but was quite economical- no matter what I did with the throttle.

The soobs ea82 that I have deemed insane with EGR are worse on fuel (all 3 that I have had) with it installed and even deemed running correctly.

If it helped I would leave it- the fact is it doesn't. 10 years with the ea82 has proven it to me- and I do not like buying fuel.

There have been bad engineering cases in the past on all makes and models, I am certain the egr implementation attacked a very strong 1781cc boxer like the ea82 for reasons only the few engineers in an important board room that put it together could pretend to justify in the beginning. The little ea82 is geniously conservative without it.:)

I have said goofy things about some cars and my old soob is one of them. If a car were actually saving the planet, the ea82 has been doing it all along- seriously. no inline four equivalent can do what this does in longevity and larger thoughts of more work, long trips, and even offroad trailing.

Good lordy this is out of control! To answer BGD, forget the EGR. As long at that plate doesnt leak your all good to go. For the people who say he is a bad person for removing vital emissions devices - its not going to make a whole big difference, its an old school sooby for christs sake. If you want to make a difference, dont put the EGR back on - go buy a clean green car.

To the argument about recycling - yes its probably mostly BS, but until someone thinks of a better system and makes it happen ill carry on putting my cardboard in a seperate container.

Finally for the argument about BGD not making any sense, your dam right. But hes still a member here and deserves a bit of respect.

To the argument about recycling - yes its probably mostly BS, but until someone thinks of a better system and makes it happen ill carry on putting my cardboard in a seperate container.

So even though you admit it's a waste of time, you are still going to do it? The definition of insanity is doing something repeatedly and expecting a different result each time. By doing it, you are silently supporting the very system you think someone should make "better", thus the powers that be will assume everything is OK. That's irresponsible. You are PART of the problem by acting in that way.

Finally for the argument about BGD not making any sense, your dam right. But hes still a member here and deserves a bit of respect.

Everyone starts with the same respect - their actions determine whether they earn more or less. Respect is not "deserved", it is earned, and everyone starts with 100%.

GD