Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL what to ask, look for, prior to purchase

wp96

Im looking at an 86 GL, 5sp, 91K miles, from a local independent used car dealer, asking $1995.

Ive seen online pics. Body and interior look fine in pics.

What I know now is AC not working and cracked windshield.

Local dealer Im confident will be "light" on any other details regarding cars history. Says he acquired from the pricipal owner of the local Subaru dealer. :confused:

What would you advise I look for that might be a good indication of the cars mechanincal condition.

Ive never bought a 20yo car before, I can look for oil/valve covers/oil pan/leaks and the such, but is there any thing specific I can grab hold of?

Its for my son. He will purchase totally so I/we can only afford so much.

I know ANY used vehicle is a crap shoot, but Id like to be better informed when I go see it.

Thanks.

Dude! I bought my 86 4wd D/R GL wagon with 90k on the clock in 1997 for $400. Granted it needed exhaust and a headlight, but still, that price the guy gave you is unbelieveable! Does it come with a side of Range Rover? :grin:

Serioulsy, if you find an 86 you like (and the other guy was right, the carb it came with does indeed suck) check out the cv joints, ball joints, motor mounts (these were the things that broke on mine) and all the typical Subaru stuff (tick of death, cracked head, etc...).

For the record, I loved my 86. One of the best cars ever. I put 100k on the odometer and sold it for $800. It still didn't burn any oil on the day I sold it.

Well...I have an 86 with about that many miles and I wouldn't take $2k for it... Of course, the body is rust free, has a rebuilt moter, a d/r conversion, etc...

I guess what I'm sayin' is that you have to consider the condition, not the price, when you are looking at something that old. Sure, there are 86's available for $400 or whatever, but 9 times out of 10, you get what you pay for. Buying a basket case is nothing to brag about-at any price.

I would look seriously at the unibody for signs of corrosion. Any signs of irreversable rust would ratchet the price down in a hurry - but wouldn't necessarily exclude the car from consideration. I would also look for signs of periodic maintenance - or lack of. It's hard to be certain without the records, but a car that has had meticulous care will stand out upon close scrutiny. This is exactly the kind of car you should consider paying a premium for. Why, you may ask? Because correcting years of neglect is expensive, and my not even be possible anyway. You could easily get into several hundred dollars of parts/repairs to get a car in tip-top shape. By being selective, you might be able to get a car in excellent condition if you are willing to pay just a little more up front.

My hunch is that the car is probably overpriced. But I would give it some serious consideration just in case. The burdon of proof is on the seller, so you do have some bargaining power working in your favor.

good luck, John

Well...I have an 86 with about that many miles and I wouldn't take $2k for it... Of course, the body is rust free, has a rebuilt moter, a d/r conversion, etc...

I guess what I'm sayin' is that you have to consider the condition, not the price, when you are looking at something that old. Sure, there are 86's available for $400 or whatever, but 9 times out of 10, you get what you pay for. Buying a basket case is nothing to brag about-at any price.

I would look seriously at the unibody for signs of corrosion. Any signs of irreversable rust would ratchet the price down in a hurry - but wouldn't necessarily exclude the car from consideration. I would also look for signs of periodic maintenance - or lack of. It's hard to be certain without the records, but a car that has had meticulous care will stand out upon close scrutiny. This is exactly the kind of car you should consider paying a premium for. Why, you may ask? Because correcting years of neglect is expensive, and my not even be possible anyway. You could easily get into several hundred dollars of parts/repairs to get a car in tip-top shape. By being selective, you might be able to get a car in excellent condition if you are willing to pay just a little more up front.

My hunch is that the car is probably overpriced. But I would give it some serious consideration just in case. The burdon of proof is on the seller, so you do have some bargaining power working in your favor.

good luck, John

My wifes car is an '86 that I bought 3 years ago for $600, with 86,000 miles. It's a west coast car, so entirely rust free and in great shape. I've replaced the cvs, the timing belts, and had small things that you expect on 20 year old cars. Actually, you'd expect a lot more on other 20 year old cars, but this is a Sube. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much for it. Privately you can do a lot better than that, and probably get some honest answers on what's been done to maintain the car. Mine's carbed, too, but for a new driver it's not a bad idea. It's easy to work on and not bad on gas. Look up the blue book on it and negotiate from there.

~Myles~

that's my 2 cents and worth every penny