Ultimate Subaru Message Board

E81 D/r

I am in the process of building a Subaru powered off road buggy. It sounds like and E81 with the dual range transmission is what I should be looking for. What year model wagons had an E81 with the D/r?

generally all '80 to '84 4wd wagon will have the gear you are after.....

the ea81 is an 1800, just make sure you dont find a 1600 4wd, apparently they do exist.... thats an ea71.

Get the engine from an 1981-1984 cars, up to 1989 two door hatchbacks, and up to 1987 BRATs.

They'll probably come with a 4 spd D/R. I'd go with a 5spd D/R from an EA82, which will be 1985-1989 Sedans and wagons. Some of the 3 door coupes come with a higher low range which you wouldn't want, as well as any turbo that came with a D/R.

wow never thought i would say this but i guess im glad that my car WAS an auto so that i got the EA81 with hydro lifters. Never knew that about the diff years. so is it (for EA81s only):

80, 81, 82 - all solid lifters

83, 84 - autos (turbo or carbed) got hydro lifters, manuals got solid lifters

85 and on all had hydro lifters

If this is wrong feel free to correct.

EDITED now

Allow me to lay down the field here:

80 through 82: Small intake valve, solid lifter, 73 HP

83 and 84 Manual: Large intake valve, solid lifter, 74 HP

83 and 84 Automatic: Large intake valve, hydro lifter, 74 HP

85+: Large intake valve, hydro lifter, 74 HP

The only difference is that solid lifters require adjustment every 15,000 miles, and generally make more of a racket - especially when cold or out of adjustment. There is NO difference in power, but there is a slight increase in torque with the hydro engines - due to a change in the cam, not the lifter itself.

NO - you cannot covert from one to the other, or use a hydro cam with solid lifters, etc. To remove the lifters from a solid lifter engine requires splitting the block. Also the cam, push-rods, and rocker assembly are all different. Putting the hydro lifters into a solid block is asking for trouble as you can NEVER service them without a complete tear down of the engine.

GD

Thanks for all the information. My evil plans are to build one of the buggy plans from Rhino. I haven't decided on which one at this point.

How do I know if I'm lloking at an E81 or E82 motor when its in the car? I live on an Island in alaska and parts may be hard to come by.

Thanks for all the information. My evil plans are to build one of the buggy plans from Rhino. I haven't decided on which one at this point.

How do I know if I'm lloking at an E81 or E82 motor when its in the car? I live on an Island in alaska and parts may be hard to come by.

EA81 or EA82 is stamped on the engine.

How do I know if I'm lloking at an E81 or E82 motor when its in the car?

Also the ea82 has black timing belt covers on the front,where as the ea81 has push rods and is a very plain looking engine.The engine model is written right behind the ea81 distributor(up in front of the engine and a little to the left.)Also the ea82 has the distributor on the rear most drivers side of the engine.

:headbang: To another subie fan from Alaska like myself!:burnout:

I'm looking for a 4SP D/R.

Reading the thread I see northguy's:

"If you're looking for an ea81 d/r tranny (4 spd) give me a holler. I've got a spare sitting around (and a 3.9 diff to match up with it)."

I get excited. Then I see:

Chugiak, Alaska.

Then I yell:

CRAP! I'm in N.C.!

Man, that is Waaaaay too north for me.

Peace....Ron

Happy Holidays to the Board!