Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber Carburetors.

dammit that sucks....hey if u guys are interested i found a site thate sells webers brand new for 230 bucks w/ free shipping... carbsunlimited.com i think is the site name..if thats not it just tyoe in weber carbs in ebay and its down at the bottom where the buy it new things are and look for a similar named site. :clap:

dammit that sucks....hey if u guys are interested i found a site thate sells webers brand new for 230 bucks w/ free shipping... carbsunlimited.com i think is the site name..if thats not it just tyoe in weber carbs in ebay and its down at the bottom where the buy it new things are and look for a similar named site. :clap:

carbsunlimited wasnt the one for sure. I just went on there and it was 360 plus shipping. I went on ebay and found an ebay store called carbpartsdirect that was selling just the carb new for 225 which seems like a really good deal. Just get the adapter and your in buisness.

I have a toll free number, 1-800-665-5031, this number is good in the states. Our business is Overseas Auto, in Vancouver Canada. We ship outt of Point Roberts Wa, and I drop ship from one of my suppliers in the eastern US. If you are being charged $3 a minute for long distance to Canada, you are being ripped off. If you use Yak communications, its 5 cents a minute.

Anyway, we have new Webers for $360 for the whole kit. We have repair kits, jets, whatever you want. We rebuild them and we also have something very cool, we have a bearing kit for the Weber DGV throttle shafts. NO MORE WOBBLE.

What is the wobble you refer to? Is that an upgraded weber reference?I am currently having fun with my hitachi, but love the thought of another carb (unfortunately, the price is way high for my know how for the weber.) 4 bucks in carb cleaner the 20 year old oem snapped to life like I would expect, but I do have concerns of permanent valve leaks...(the uncurable ones- unless resleeving is possible- most likely?)

Also, the cfm for the weber? how does secondary open? "E" in "dgev" was electric choke? does a normal mainstream 5-7 lb fuel pump found everywhere work well with it? By "kit" does that mean ea82 swap included?

TY for reply.. I find webers but not enough facts for the money:rolleyes:

I promise to look at this website on a regular basis. Our business has all the Weber kits, parts, jets, repair kits. I have a guide to buy used Weber carbs as well. I will post this again.

Jim

Used Weber Carbs - Where to look

Ok, for all you guys that hunt JY's. If you are going to look for a Weber Carb, this is what you should look for. First I will mark the cars and trucks, and then the model of carbs. I will be pleased to tell you if the carb is worthwhile if you find something else. I have the repair kits available.

Vehicles

Datsun/Nissan - carbureted trucks and cars pre 1986 L, Z, A, E series engines

Toyota - Corolla pre 87, Celica-pre 81, Land Cruiser 80's and earlier, Pickups pre-88

Mazda - B2600, B2200 trucks. Most cars had people that didnt care about performance other than rotaries

Suzuki - 1300 Samurai

Mitsubishi/Dodge D50 - carbureted pickups, Raiders, Colt front drives

BMW - 2002 with 2 barrel manifolds (best place to find Webers)

Opel - Opel GT

Volvo-non fuel injection cars (144, 122)

Jeep-CJ, Wrangler with 258 motor

Ford - Old Cortina mark 1 (1967?)

Carbs to use

32/36 DGV (manual choke), 32/36 DGAV (auto choke), 32 DGAV, 32 DGV

38 DGAS Maximum performance, mileage will be lower

36 DCD, 28/36 DCD

Questionable carbs

Holley 5200/Weber 32/36 DFAV - linkage reversed to DGV series, most Holleys have linkage that is not bolted on and some have non changeable idle jets, throttle shafts wear easy

Fiat Webers, DMSA series harder to get parts, linkage reversed,

Renault Webers DIR series- same as Fiat

If you are handy, and have access to parts, the Renault and Fiat carbs will work OK

I did not see chevy chevette with the holley mentioned- If I am not mistaken it is nearly a direct fit for EA82 and ea81 ... my friend years ago with an ea81 offered me more for the carb in my chevette than I paid for the car, now I know why....(my little chevette hauled butt btw, it was hilarious- it was an automatic that burned rubber into second)

Here is 5 brand new "new old stock" holleys with a gm part (rochester) #, seems a 5200 holley is very close to this.

I hope to add to this thread and not rob it, the list is very complete. Thanks for posting, it is great if de-emmissioning old engines is in progress. I loved this carb at ebay btw. more for reference of photos than promoting a sale here.- it was a bit big for a chevette made mine sound like a sube, by skipping at an idle too much air and impossible to change due to carb size- but perfect for a sube from what I can gather (never used it on a sube)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-CHEVY-CHEVETTE-1-6-HOLLEY-R-9968-2-BBL-CARBURETOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33550QQihZ011QQitemZ320058863317QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

First of all, a Weber or a Holley is not "close enough" . I have seen too many people out there that start to file away at the holes to make something fit. This is why you do need an adapter plate.

For the Chevette carb, OK, there are some with a Holley 2 barrel, but there are a lot with the Rochester as well. The old problem with the Holley is this....

Lack of idle jet adjustability

Linkage goes the wrong way

linkage arm is peined on and not bolted.

This is exactly what is shown on the Ebay ad

If you buy from our company, you are getting personal service, someone to talk to about linkage and installation and you are getting selection.

Remember there are three things in business

Service

Selection

Price

No one can give all 3. Only 2 of those.

What is the wobble you refer to? Is that an upgraded weber reference?

The Wobble is caused by wear in the throttle shaft and body in the Weber. I have a bearing that goes into the cavity of the weber and replaces the plastic bushing.

I am currently having fun with my hitachi, but love the thought of another carb (unfortunately, the price is way high for my know how for the weber.) 4 bucks in carb cleaner the 20 year old oem snapped to life like I would expect, but I do have concerns of permanent valve leaks...(the uncurable ones- unless resleeving is possible- most likely?)

Also, the cfm for the weber? how does secondary open? "E" in "dgev" was electric choke? does a normal mainstream 5-7 lb fuel pump found everywhere work well with it?

The Weber has a mechanical secondary. No Weber actually says DGEV. They say DGAV because the A is for Aqua, you know the Italian for water. They all started life as a water choke. The E is for electric choke, which are converted later on down the line.

The maximum pressure for a Weber is 3.5 PSI. Do you see this 3.5 PSI

By "kit" does that mean ea82 swap included?

Yes, we bundle up all the parts including the motor for the EA82 Swap. All the wires, manuals, hoses, exhaust tubing are included. Right On LOL

TY for reply.. I find webers but not enough facts for the money:rolleyes:

i think this worked

Sweet whats the cost of sending one to you and having you rebuild it. Ill have to keep my eyes open at the JY for one if its a good deal.

The cost on this will be $250. This includes the normal rebuild parts, cleaning, ultrasonic treatment, bead blast, painting and reassembly with our bearing kit. And we hot test all our rebuilt carburetors.

Thanks for the info Jim.

I'll add what I know about the "Holley/Weber".

First, it's a licensed "copy" of the Weber 32/36 DFV, which is *sort of* a mirror image of the DGV, but they really share very few parts in common besides jets, and some internal bits like the float, etc.

Second, the licensed versions of the carb have problems - as Jim pointed out the linkage, and cable mounts are wrong, and not easily replaced. They are also fitted for most of the same emmissions requirements as the Hitachi - makeing them more complex.

Third, (and there's several people on here that can back this up), the DFV/5200's casting has smaller venturi's. The base of the carb is the same size, as are the throttle plates, but the venturi's are not. Just take a look at the difference between the DGV choke plates, and the 5200 choke plates - thus the DFV/5200 does not have the same flow as the DGV. This also has the unfortunate side effect that the typical DGV jetting will not work on the DFV/5200. It will require different sized jets to accomidate the smaller flow of the venturi's. The catch being that the jetting needed is NOT DOCUMENTED. So you have to buy a jet ket, and mess around with it to tune the engine properly.

Here's some quick comparison shots (this is a REAL DFV, but I have a holley 5200 also, and it's identical):

Notice how small the puny DFV/5200 choke plates are compared the gapeing maw of the DGV :brow:. And notice the venturi sizes, and the overall larger construction of the DGV on the right. This is why the price of the DGV is higher - they are NOT street legal (not DOT approved), and so you will rarely find them in junk yards. If you do find one it's usually old and worn out, or it's something that was put on by a previous owner.

dgv_dfv1.jpg

dgv_dfv2.jpg

GD

Jim has pointed out that *some* of the DFV/5200's have the same size venturi. Some also do not - but I beleive that's mostly the 5200's equipped on some of the Ford's. Caboobaroo bought one at a swap meet that we compared side by side with a DGV, and it definately had smaller venturi's. In all cases is seems the air horns and float/chamber are smaller. In the case of the one's I have, it's difficult to tell without pulling out the calipers on it (were talking a matter of just 1mm in some cases). But really the DFV, and (especially) 5200's are questionable at best. Stick with a good DGV from Jim and you'll be better off.

*edit*

Interestingly, it appears they were availible in three different venturi sizes (which radically effects the CFM) - here's the low-down:

330 CFM

26mm primary venturi: 270 CFM

23mm primary venturi: 235 CFM (1979-82 Fords)

This is all from the Wiki page on the "32/36":

http://wiki.datsun1200.com/index.php/Weber_32/36_Carburetor

It should probably be noted that the EA81/EA82 is only capable of about 200 CFM, and that would be a 8,000 RPM. The larger barrels and the progressive linkage help tremendously with low-end torque however. It's important to realize that there won't be any appreciable gain in high-end with any Weber over the stock Hitachi. Your top speed is going to be the same either way unless you have a modified engine capable of using the improved CFM.

There is also a Holley 6200 that was a electronic feedback version of the 5200. Looks can be deceiving - just cause it looks like a Weber, may not mean it's going to give you the same results as a shiny new DGV.

GD