Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 T-Coupe rally car.....

chef_tim

I'm just dreaming, collecting ideas, etc. for my 84 T-Coupe rally car. I'm going to keep the EA81T but other then that I'll entertain most other thoughts for mods. Mine was to put a FTFWD D/R 5spd with center diff lock from an RX into it. Upgrade the suspention, possibly from an XT:confused: . Bill dropped of the "H" alloy rims and I think I'll stick with those (unless I do the XT swap). So it you have any suggestions, ideas (proven or not) or other forms of input let me know. Thanks, Tim

Intercooler, FT4WD trans w/ rear LSD, upgraded suspension (get rid of the torsion bar in the rear), take a hack at a 5 lug swap from an XT6 (supposedly difficult with an EA81), two pot brakes for the front.

If you need more power, a TD04 or VF11 with upped boost, bigger fuel injectors, MS, etc.

I think an EA81T would make a good platform for rally.

Yup, FT4WD has it. And built engine. Uh-huh.

Maybe look at the XT6 susp, but the stock rear torsion setup can be made good. Full cage, seam welding, fuel cell, lightweight seats, stripped interior, front airdam, small spoiler on trunk (just a lip, like on early BMW 3-series), brake cooling ducts, rear discs, rear LSD, 2.5" exhaust w/ 1 7/8 primaries, umm...

Then give it to me.

I kinda figured I was in the right place:brow:

What is the major difference between the XT6 and XT suspention?? I'm assuming the XT is along the same line as an EA82 set-up. Later, Tim

XT suspension is exactly like the EA82 stuff.

XT6 suspension has five lugs, and has better suspension bits, similar to the stuff found on EJs. With XT6 stuff, you can even put on EJ struts, or use EJ knuckles and get EJ brakes and what not. Though, from what I gather its quite a bit difficult to do so on an EA81.

XT suspension is exactly like the EA82 stuff.

XT6 suspension has five lugs, and has better suspension bits, similar to the stuff found on EJs. With XT6 stuff, you can even put on EJ struts, or use EJ knuckles and get EJ brakes and what not. Though, from what I gather its quite a bit difficult to do so on an EA81.

Oh if it were only that simple, the EA81s only have two studs on the top of the strut where it bolts to the strut tower, the EA82s and EJs have three. So, you can either use the strut tops off the EA81 struts (not sure if they will work or not) or drill the three hole pattern, but you need to make sure you have the correct orientation. If you really want to rally this car, you better check the rules before making any mods, some of these mods may not be allowed in the class you want to run.

If you really want to rally this car, you better check the rules before making any mods, some of these mods may not be allowed in the class you want to run.

Unfortunatly there are no "real" rally events even close to me. This will be for my own enjoyment and to have a project to work on. Thanks for all the ideas so far, Tim

It is a Gen I since the Gen II didn't come along until 85. Did you forget who you were talking to, look at my board name. :lol:

I thought someone had found some info on a RX that was released in Japan back in the 70's... It was like a '74 coupe that was on steriods

Or I could be blowing a bunch of hot air:-p

I thought someone had found some info on a RX that was released in Japan back in the 70's... It was like a '74 coupe that was on steriods

Or I could be blowing a bunch of hot air:-p

I tried to verify that, I found a picture of a 74 Coupe that had a lot of ground clearance by could never verify that it was called a RX, I know that Subaru ran a Gen I RX in the 83 African Rally, and the pictures that I found of it showed to be an EA81 Coupe, the thing is the Gen I RX did not have a turbocharged engine, it used the twin carb manifold and some other mods to the engine. I have the spec sheets of those mods, but they are in Japanese. I would really like to find a Gen I RX so the I could run it in the Historical class in rallies around here.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my RX, twin carbs rock!

These Gen 1 RX's were only available in NZ for a very short period it seems (around 6 months or so) before they went to the newer EA82 shape in 84.

A famous New Zealand rally driver by the name of "Possum Bourne" used to race one for the Subaru team back in 83 and did pretty well in NZ and Australia rallies...

post-17480-136027620056_thumb.jpg