Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installing Cruise control problem 95 Impreza

I've been fixing up a 95 Impreza Brighton coupe AWD 5 speed

I have a Impreza "L" parts car and have been installing some of the "L" equipment onto it.

But I'm having trouble with the cruise control.

What I have installed for the cruise control.

1. vacuum diaphram with cable to throttle body and vacuum hose

2. Dash switch

3. Steering Wheel Switch

4. MT Cruise control module

5. Clutch position switch

6. Changed out the brake position switch for the cruise brake position switch.

All the wiring was present in the car, and the dash switch lights up when pressed, but the cruise doesn't work...:rolleyes:

What am I forgetting?

Is there a dedicated relay for the cruise control?

If so, where is it located?

Thanks for any help you can give....

Huck

Creator of "FrankenWedge"

Huck,

I'm looking to do the same thing for my 97 OBS. I've got everything but the vacuum lines & one of the actuator brackets. I should have them shortly.

Everything you listed is pretty much all the cruise stuff....to my knowledge.

I've attached the pdf that I got from someone else who got the full "add on" kit. It also has a wiring diagram, which may help.

Let me know what you find out. I'll be likely doing this in a couple weeks.

Josh

97 Impreza Cruise add-on.pdf

Thanks Josh,

I had installed a new in the box kit into our old OBS when we had it, so I was pretty sure I had everything, and also installed used pieces into the Impreza I fixed up for my oldest daughter and it worked fine....

But it doesn't work in this Brighton.:-\

I'll dig into it a little more, and let you know if I find out anything new...

(Thanks for the guide, I'll keep it this time)

Huck

I did this to a 95 coupe once. It was an L but it had no cruise. Basically i put everything in like you did huck but I did not install the clutch switch or the brake switch.

Here is what I did: on the brake switch the one without cruise is a 2 wire and the other is a 4 wire...I looked at the colors that are used on the brake switch (the 2 wire one) and took a small jumper and jumped the 4 wire connector at teh 2 wires that aren't on the 2 wire one. On the clutch switch I took the clutch switch wire that is used for the clutch switch for the cruise and cut the end off and spliced them together. Keep in mind i left the clutch switch that came with the car alone.

End result: cruise worked, brake lights worked, brake disengage switch for the cruise worked, and the switch that won't let the car start without it being in worked. What didn't work was the disengagement of the cruise with the clutch. When i sold the car i told the new owner about the clutch thingy and he said no problem.

Maybe you need to have both switches for the clutch there? Isn't there 2 different holes to put 2 different switches? (I forget)

I have done this with my 95 Impreza L and my 90 Legacy L and had the same result both times. :headbang:

Thanks Matt, both times I had done it before it had worked for me too....

But not on this one.

I do have both clutch position switches installed....

Everything that is on the PDF file Josh posted i have installed, but it doesn't work.

The actuator under the hood came off a automatic car, but I'm pretty sure that part is the same on a auto and a manual...

I re-checked my clutch/brake switches, and they are adjusted properly...

Was hoping for a simple fix, looks like it'll be a bit more of a pain to figure out...

What year is the donor car? If you look at the part numbers for Impreza cruise kits, they were different almost every year. Most differences should be minor but there could be some incompatibilities. Maybe it would help to look at wiring diagrams for both cars.

AVK,

Good point....but not applicable here, since the donars, and the donee are 95's:confused: the module came out of a 95 1.8 manual tranny car, and is going into a 95 1.8 manual tranny car....

The Actuator came out of a 95 2.2 auto Impreza....

I can still swap out the auto actuator with the one out of the manual car, but would require chasing down the owner of the car I put it in a few months ago, who lives about 2 1/2 hours from me...so that is a last resort

And Matt,

I did check the fuse box, it had one in the "Cruise" slot, but I installed one in each of the 3 "empty" slots just to see if that fixed it...it didn't:(

Huck, this may be a dumb question

as I have been emitting cranial gas passes lately.

Are you sure the brake lights work when the pedal is depressed?

A blonw fuse in the brake light circuit, bad switch ect.

Some older cc units I've used look for this voltage to funtion.

Huck, this may be a dumb question

as I have been emitting cranial gas passes lately.

Are you sure the brake lights work when the pedal is depressed?

A blonw fuse in the brake light circuit, bad switch ect.

Some older cc units I've used look for this voltage to funtion.

Not a dumb question at all....I honestly haven't checked the taillights, but I can see the third brake light in the back deck light up when I hit the brakes, so that should omit the brake light fuse...

Another good ideal, but I've checked that.

I might add that this Brighton only has 56k on it, so it has sat a lot, but is in really good shape (will probably be for sale in the spring)....quit as a mouse....sure wish I could get this cruise control working...

I may start swapping parts off my daughter's onto it, as I know hers works, but she is only here part time...

Use the wiring diagram, and try to check that all the wiring is good, and you don't have something tweaking out somewhere.

I hate wiring, which is why I've been looking at every other possibility first:-\ ...but it's looking like I'm going to have to check the wires....maybe this weekend...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just for a follow up, it's working now....

I noticed my horn wasn't working either, pulled the airbag back off, and the cruise/horn connector had come un-done, so I had either not got it seated all the way...(or I forgot to plug it in:banghead: )....

Anyway, it's working again.....

thanks to all who contributed thier ideals....

Huck

This may be stupid, but in both my 95 Imprezas I have to push the steering wheel switch "DOWN" for a few seconds before pushing it "UP" to set speed. If I just push up , it doesn't engage. Both my cars are like that. Otherwise they work fine. I think it's just the way they are designed.

Todd

I usually do the same thing..

I'm sure the switch is to "set" the cruise when you push it down, but the car will slow a couple of miles an hour before it engages, so I alway push it down (to set it) then hold it "up" (Increase Speed) untill it is "cruising" at the speed I want.

Either way, I'm just glad it's now working:headbang: