Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Killer deal on GCK axles

Saturday I bought an 84 Turbo BRAT, knowing that the PS inner front boot was wasted. After much searching and thought, I was 'torn' between boot or axle replacement.

This morning I found a great deal on two new GCK axles for 49.95 each. That made it a no-brainer, since boots alone would cost around 20.00 per axle. These axles come with a one year warranty.

I think the old axle is fine. I plan to take it apart, clean and inspect it, then buy new boots and reassemble as a spare.

having been the victim of new axles exploding weeks after installing, i wouldn't recommend them for someone who plans on keeping the car awhile. do a search and you'll fine a number of instances of new axles failing. i don't recall the manufacturer of the one i had though. i would leave the broken boot axle on there before replacing it with a "new" one unless it's a Subaru axle or MWE in colorado. i've put 50,000 miles on broken boot, clicking, stock, 20 year old soob axles before and they never break. search the forums here and you'll see a number of new axles failing.

I left out the source on purpose, as a teaser. :grin:

Here are the results of my search. Draw your own conclusions. The real puzzler is why AZ charges for a core on a new axle. :confused:

Autozone Duralast new 7306 64.99 15.00 core

lifetime warranty

Pep Boys Proline reman 40-18606 66.10 50.00 core

Kragen A1Cardone reman 67001 78.99 30.00 core

GCK Axles 13400 S. Western Av Gardena, CA 310 532 9222

bought at:

Pronto 14020 S Van Ness Gardena, CA 310 851 6844

GCK #SB-8002 new 1 year warranty 49.99 boots 7.93

i like my mwe's just fine, i've put about 10k on them and haven't hear any clicking yet and they are powercoated blue to!

Sure - but they are more expensive, and the GCK's are awesome quality too. I could care less about the color. I would rather pay less for no fancy blue crap. It's just going to get dirty and chipped anyway.

GD