Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hows life with 5 speed ea81

nevbrat

Not really. The 4th gear on the 83+ 4spds is actually higher than the 5th gear on the 5spds (0.769 vs 0.780). On the 5spds, there just another gear lower than 0.78, but still above 1.0.

Ok you Uber Subaru Geeks (no insult intended) have me completely confused with this whole post. I drive a 82 GL Hatch with 4wd....I am running about 3800 RPM at 70mph. I had thought that installing a 5 speed would help me lower RPM's at highway speeds but sounds like maybe not. would a 83+ 4speed help at highway speeds or would it even install easily. If a 5 speed does not lower the rpms then what is the benefit of all that work???

TY

2. Way better mounts. The 4's mounts are tiny, and just generally suck. The 5's mounts have twice as much rubber, and the 5's is lighter besides.

I fabbed up EA82 mounts for it

Can you show me pictures of this? I am putting my FT4WD box in my Brat and I don't want to use EA81 mounts.. How can you fit the EA82 mounts to the EA81 crossmember.

If a 5 speed does not lower the rpms then what is the benefit of all that work???

better low range, better shifter linkage, more gears for better driving on roads with corners, etc etc etc..

Can you show me pictures of this? I am putting my FT4WD box in my Brat and I don't want to use EA81 mounts.. How can you fit the EA82 mounts to the EA81 crossmember...

essentially you can't without mods, bratsrus1 make an adaptor, but shipping it to you would be a pain,

one option would be to fit the ej mounts back on it and go something like rguyver did when he put the wrx swap into his brat....

halloween_party_065.jpg

with your fabrication skills this would probably be a good way to go, or maybe GD could post a pic of his ea82 adaptor

If a 5 speed does not lower the rpms then what is the benefit of all that work???

Re-read the thread. For one thing your 82 tranny has a lower 3rd and 4th gear. So yes, 5th would lower your RPM's - to where it would be about 3400 at 80 MPH. But that's really ancillery to the goals of the 5 speed swap anyway. There's more important reasons to chuck the 4. Again - reread my earlier posts.

GD

No problem guys. It's not directly applicable to the EA82, but gives the idea behind what I did. I was just fed up with the 4 speed mounts - tried to order some and got a phone call that they were out of stock, etc etc. So I got under it and just layed there till something came to me :). Works quite well actually...... probably sell that set I made as the 4 speed blew up, and now I have a 5 for it.

GD

• 3 years later...

Looks like I am the first to post on this thread in quite a while. I too consulted GD's write-up on the swap and appreciate the work put into it. I love the swap in my brat. I am turning 2600rpm @ 80mph due to the 5spd swap and the big tires I put on after the lift :grin:. I am running 15" Toyota Land Cruiser wheels with 215/75/15 Handkook MTs. I will never run another 4spd again. Working on a bit of a motor upgrade now to help turn those mud eaters :lol:.

Looks like I am the first to post on this thread in quite a while. I too consulted GD's write-up on the swap and appreciate the work put into it. I love the swap in my brat. I am turning 2600rpm @ 80mph due to the 5spd swap and the big tires I put on after the lift :grin:. I am running 15" Toyota Land Cruiser wheels with 215/75/15 Handkook MTs. I will never run another 4spd again. Working on a bit of a motor upgrade now to help turn those mud eaters :lol:.

I'm glad you brought this thread back. It gave me the link to GD's write up on the mounts...