Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In my 97 impreza, the cover on the steering wheel, behind which resides the airbag, has cracked right where it's supposed to when the airbag deploys. This may not be a big deal but I thought I'd make sure.

If this is something that needs fixing, is it something I can do myself? I've always been under the impression that messing with airbags is better left to the pros.

never done it myself, but a friend swapped the air bag on my steering wheel for me, he said it's very simple. that's all i can remember, but i would think with some help from these guys and an FSM it should be easy to swap the cover. the passengers side is another story, but the steering wheel i believe it really easy.

Technically its very simple. Its only four bolts on the steering wheel and the connector.

Like was said, someone else will chime in on how to do it. You may not even have to removes the sterring wheel, but you do have disconnect the battery for 30-60 minutes to be safe.

nipper

The airbag unit is held with two T30 screws, visible through the openings in the steering wheel trim. Remove the screws and pull straight out, parallel to the steering column. An instruction sheet for installing a cruise control has been posted just recently. It contains directions on how to remove the airbag.

The airbag unit is held with two T30 screws, visible through the openings in the steering wheel trim. Remove the screws and pull straight out, parallel to the steering column. An instruction sheet for installing a cruise control has been posted just recently. It contains directions on how to remove the airbag.

ah i thought it was four :)

nipper

The crack is barely visible, is it (the crack) a problem. If it's not then I'm not going to bother swapping out the cover. Otherwise, it sounds easier then expected. I'll run by the dealer and look into the cost of the cover...that may be the hardest part of the entire process.

From what i understand they just look at it. Others on other sites have had it done and were very dispointed in what they did. A few had the system scanned for codes.

The check is originally because they werent sure what the systems would be like in 10 years.

nipper

The crack is barely visible, is it (the crack) a problem. If it's not then I'm not going to bother swapping out the cover. Otherwise, it sounds easier then expected. I'll run by the dealer and look into the cost of the cover...that may be the hardest part of the entire process.
I believe the cover is not available separately, so a practical solution would be to buy a used airbag.