Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone else notice how long it takes a subie to warm up (inside) takes bout 20 miles to start getting warm, seems like a long time to me?

Yep, I agree. 1997 Legautowagon2.2 145k miles. Seems to take a while. Last 1/4 inch on the temp slide control makes a lot of difference.

Temp needle never, ever above halfway. Never moves at all, once warmed up.

I keep meaning to check under the dash to see if the air diverter flap is fully closing, but I like the fact that it runs cool.

Little aluminum engine, high miles, bearing tolerances open up a bit, less friction than new.

I can live with it.

[...]warm up (inside) takes bout 20 miles to start getting warm, seems like a long time to me?
I'll have to agree with the majority; my own '99 doesn't take over 5 minutes for the heater to produce useful heat, even if the ambient temperature is quite low. Even at 60 MPH, 20 miles is 20 minutes, so yes, that does seem excessive.

Could be a stuck-open (or missing?) thermostat, or a heater core that's partially obstructed, or maybe a cooling system with an air bubble that needs "burping".

Are there any other symptoms? How does the engine perform during those 20 minutes, etc.?

Another vote for a stuck thermostat. Mine takes less than 5 minutes to reach operating temp most of the time, unless I am going downhill engine braking the whole time. I borrowed a friend's pickup earlier this winter which took 25 miles to finally heat up though -- going uphill. New thermostat fixed it.

This might complicate things a bit, but mine heats up much faster (3-4 min.) since I had a tuneup of new plugs and fuel filter at the beginning of the month. My T-stat and coolant were changed in June. Would this have an effect? I'm not disagreeing with Nipper or anyone else, I'm just bringing up an alternate idea that I myself am curious about.

Brian

This might complicate things a bit, but mine heats up much faster (3-4 min.) since I had a tuneup of new plugs and fuel filter at the beginning of the month. My T-stat and coolant were changed in June. Would this have an effect? I'm not disagreeing with Nipper or anyone else, I'm just bringing up an alternate idea that I myself am curious about.

Brian

Strange...the EJ22 has an even BIGGER volume of coolant than the vehicles already mentioned.

Perhaps more friction occurs, producing more heat?

The EJ22 is also a bigger engine, with more surface area exposed to the coolant. Small coolant volume differences won't show up. Now, if there was twice as much coolant in an engine with about the same size, that would probably show up as 'slower to heat up".

it seems to blow hot, with no outside air, but it just seems like a long time compared to other cars to get the drivers compartment warm, oh well maybe its just me?

OOOOOOOH! The inside of the car! I guess I didn't read the post correctly the first time.

It's because your car is a wagon. Wagons take longer to warm up (and keep warm) than sedans, hatchbacks, etc. I reckon it's because there are no heater vents in the back and the cold air back there just stays cold for a while...but I could be wrong...

Sorry whatshe but there are back vents under the

front seats.

You are correct about the wagon interior volume.

I also drive wagons, primarily solo

and a trick I use is a

piece of visqueen (heavy clear plastic)

draped over a rope

strung between the rear cloths hangers.

I also plug the rear vents with aluminum foil.

She gets toasty in no time.

I also hate the cold.

Cold for me is below 80 deg F

These days of teen temps are dapits.