Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fitting outback struts on a legacy

del

some time ago i seen where somebody put outback struts on a legacy. they bought them online for around $300. what i need to know is where to buy them (or has the price gone up drastically lately).

2001 legacy

2.5l

thanks del

some time ago i seen where somebody put outback struts on a legacy. they bought them online for around $300. what i need to know is where to buy them (or has the price gone up drastically lately).

2001 legacy

2.5l

thanks del

I got mine new from Jamie, around $400 with struts and springs. The local tire shop installed them for another $150 or so.

Voila the 2000 'Legaback'!

I got mine new from Jamie, around $400 with struts and springs. The local tire shop installed them for another $150 or so.

Voila the 2000 'Legaback'!

Nice price on the struts and springs.

Did the install include the alignment? The install is pretty straight forward and simple if you posess spring compressors, but 150 at a shop is still decent. 30 minutes a corner. . .

I got a screaming deal thru a friend and got the struts for 210, the springs I got used for 50 bucks and did the install myself.

I guess what we're getting at is 500 bucks is pretty steep for used stuff.

for the work involved (of which i have the tools required) i would prefer to put new struts on. this is my aunts car, not going for ultimate height, just getting into the driveway. i found the partsbin had kyb's for about $360, but i remember a thread where somebody bought them for about $300, the question is from what company?

If you have a 1g Legacy.. Outback springs and struts will raise your vehicle considerably.

Here's my friend's 1995 Outback that is basically a Legacy with some Outback badging on it... we lifted it on new KYB Outback struts and 1997 Outback springs.. brought the car up easily 2.5" and then we put some oversized tires on it..

Photo%2094.jpg

Worked for us. I put them on a brighton. It's higher than an outback clearance wise because they have smaller bumpers and don't have the subframe drop spacers that the outbacks have. 8.5" of clearance to the catylitic converter, which is the lowest point under the car. 9.5 to the crossmember.

I've been talking with some freinds about doing this and they're telling me I need the Forester/Outback a-arms, front swaybar mounts and links, and a few other pieces. How are you guys getting away without doing it? Here, it reads like a bolt-in swap, but they're telling me differently. Is that more entailed work only particular to my 91 Leggy wagon?

I've been talking with some freinds about doing this and they're telling me I need the Forester/Outback a-arms, front swaybar mounts and links, and a few other pieces. How are you guys getting away without doing it? Here, it reads like a bolt-in swap, but they're telling me differently. Is that more entailed work only particular to my 91 Leggy wagon?

Here we're telling you this is what we've done. Not what we think would work. Curious how your "friends" came by their info?

90-99 legacys share the same suspension. Your 91 is not any different.

They're not 17 year old ricers, if that's what you mean ;). It's a local scooby shop. As much as I like the chief mechanic, he's a little stubborn :lol: . I won't name names or pit people against one another. I chalked it up to different ways of skinning the same cat.

Did any of you guys run into problems with broken endlinks or mounts? I'd love to fit Outback or Scorpion springs onto my 91 Leggy. You guys seem to be in agreement that it's a straight forward parts swap. The "discrepancy" is that I need a different steering rack, tie-rods, new swaybar links, different a-arms and new rear linkages, all from an Outback or Forester. Not a peep of that stuff here, though. Sorry, but I don't take things on the internet as gospel. I didn't know if maybe the tires wouldn't align or something else appropriately goofy occurred when jacking with the suspension.

According to your mighty search button...there's no boogeymen to worry about ;).

The only other suspension difference is spacer blocks that are put in between the engine and rear subframes on the Outbacks. This is what keeps the suspension angles similar with the extended struts. You can put these in, however, our 1995 legacy brighton with 1998 outback struts from KYB-GR2's aligns fine without the subframe spacers. It doesn't ride much different, and there hasn't been any axel issues. The lower contol arms, tie rods, knuckles, lateral links, are all the same. You lose clearance if you use the spacers, about 3/4" of an inch. Up to you. Putting the outback struts in the 90-94 legacys is a little more work I think. There was some talk about using different strut caps for them.

Those Legacy pictures told me plenty and that's about what I'm looking for in a lift on this chassis, maybe a tad more if I can squeeze it out of there. It's like "OB struts", "OB struts+springs", and "struts+scorpion springs" go progressively higher with lift (1.5, 2, 2.5in). Is that right? Should I just go for the Scorpions and OB struts for max lift and be done with it? I'm looking for the tallest as well as the widest tire options available. A combined total of 4 extra inches after tires under the chassis will do just fine. I don't expect miracles, but it looks like there's plenty there to be had.

http://flickr.com/photos/njdrsubaru/216391734/in/set-72057594094366502/ Getting THIS from just struts and springs is perfect for my needs: an offroad wagon that's a little beefed up. Bigger tires on this same combo is exactly what I'm looking for. I thought this high of lift had to have a body lift, too. If not, then cool! It just looks taller than I expected. Bigger tires look like they'd fit fine.

today i installed the struts. biggest pita is the sway bars and the lower bolts on the rear struts. raised the car between one and half and two inches. thanks guys, now my aunt won't bottom out leaving the drive way.

del

:banana::banana:

Those Legacy pictures told me plenty and that's about what I'm looking for in a lift on this chassis, maybe a tad more if I can squeeze it out of there. It's like "OB struts", "OB struts+springs", and "struts+scorpion springs" go progressively higher with lift (1.5, 2, 2.5in). Is that right? Should I just go for the Scorpions and OB struts for max lift and be done with it? I'm looking for the tallest as well as the widest tire options available. A combined total of 4 extra inches after tires under the chassis will do just fine. I don't expect miracles, but it looks like there's plenty there to be had.

http://flickr.com/photos/njdrsubaru/216391734/in/set-72057594094366502/ Getting THIS from just struts and springs is perfect for my needs: an offroad wagon that's a little beefed up. Bigger tires on this same combo is exactly what I'm looking for. I thought this high of lift had to have a body lift, too. If not, then cool! It just looks taller than I expected. Bigger tires look like they'd fit fine.

Hey ImprezaRSC thats my car lol, i had so much fun with that lift, but i had to sell her, now i'm doing a lift to a impreza wagon, will keep you guys posted when its done, i'm taking it to Carlisle in May, hopefully lifted.