Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy 90K Miles

I had Subaru replace the timing belt and water pump at 70K miles, about 4 years ago. I noticed antifreeze leaking from the timing belt cover.

I can't believe that the water pump needs to be replaced again. Do you think it wasn't replaced and charged me for it? Is there a way to tell if it's the original? Also, I need to take it for repair, The drip starts almost immediately after I start the car, can it be driven about 5 miles?

It most likely is the pump leaking, but I would crawl under the front of car and check the little bypass hose on the thermostat and also the bottom radiator hose and thermostat gasket. One of these may be leaking and blowing over on the cover.

95 Legacy 90K Miles

I had Subaru replace the timing belt and water pump at 70K miles, about 4 years ago. I noticed antifreeze leaking from the timing belt cover.

I can't believe that the water pump needs to be replaced again. Do you think it wasn't replaced and charged me for it? Is there a way to tell if it's the original? Also, I need to take it for repair, The drip starts almost immediately after I start the car, can it be driven about 5 miles?

i agree you want to make sure it's not something simple. leaks can be tricky to track down, but it's well worth the effort to avoid a costly repair that was uneccessary. make sure the coolant is full before you start the car and it should be fine to drive. it's cold out, so drive with the heat on high and go easy on it and you should be fine. your temperature gauge will tell you, if it starts drifting up then stop the car immediately. 5 miles shouldnt' be a big deal at all. have some extra coolant with you in case you need to shut the car off, wait for it to cool down, refill and drive again.

will be hard to tell if it was replaced i would imagine. you'd have to get in there and do some close inspection and would need to see something obvious to verify. i do not put it past anyone to charge for something that wasn't done, but there's no way to prove it. of the dozens of water pumps i've done, i've never seen any fail, Subaru OEM or aftermarket cheap-o's, but it could happen.

it could just be leaking at the gasket like someone else mentioned. if it wasn't cleaned well enough or the gasket was contaminated that could have caused it to start leaking prematurely, in this case you'd only need a new gasket not a water pump.

i agree you want to make sure it's not something simple. leaks can be tricky to track down, but it's well worth the effort to avoid a costly repair that was uneccessary. make sure the coolant is full before you start the car and it should be fine to drive. it's cold out, so drive with the heat on high and go easy on it and you should be fine. your temperature gauge will tell you, if it starts drifting up then stop the car immediately. 5 miles shouldnt' be a big deal at all. have some extra coolant with you in case you need to shut the car off, wait for it to cool down, refill and drive again.

will be hard to tell if it was replaced i would imagine. you'd have to get in there and do some close inspection and would need to see something obvious to verify. i do not put it past anyone to charge for something that wasn't done, but there's no way to prove it. of the dozens of water pumps i've done, i've never seen any fail, Subaru OEM or aftermarket cheap-o's, but it could happen.

it could just be leaking at the gasket like someone else mentioned. if it wasn't cleaned well enough or the gasket was contaminated that could have caused it to start leaking prematurely, in this case you'd only need a new gasket not a water pump.

Thanks for your reply...

Funny this comes up. I am not due for another timing belt for well over another 30K. I have an appointment next thursday for inspection, oil change, etc. I briefly spoke with my mechanic about just replacing the water pump at this point as I am getting a bad feeling its day might be coming since I am around 150K on the original pump. Any thoughts? I DO NOT want to be left sitting because of something failing!!!!!!! I would much rather just pay for the fix and be done with it, but.. no sense throwing money out the window because of my paranoia. :eek:

Well, good news is my mechanic left the garage he was working for and just bought an existing business that includes the service garage, speed shop and used car lot. SUPER honest guy. When I first met him about 14 years ago, he was in his 13th year as shop foreman at a Subaru used car business. Will get his opinion but in the meatime, any thoughts from you guys?

P.S. If it does get replaced, he normally recommends using OEM, which I am OK with.

Funny this comes up. I am not due for another timing belt for well over another 30K. I have an appointment next thursday for inspection, oil change, etc. I briefly spoke with my mechanic about just replacing the water pump at this point as I am getting a bad feeling its day might be coming since I am around 150K on the original pump. Any thoughts? I DO NOT want to be left sitting because of something failing!!!!!!! I would much rather just pay for the fix and be done with it, but.. no sense throwing money out the window because of my paranoia. :eek:

Well, good news is my mechanic left the garage he was working for and just bought an existing business that includes the service garage, speed shop and used car lot. SUPER honest guy. When I first met him about 14 years ago, he was in his 13th year as shop foreman at a Subaru used car business. Will get his opinion but in the meatime, any thoughts from you guys?

P.S. If it does get replaced, he normally recommends using OEM, which I am OK with.

I basically replace everything under the timing belt covers when i get the belt done. This just about guarentees you 100,000 trouble free miles (from that part of the engine).

Thanks Nipper! Think I should just wait the 30K for the next timing belt change or am I already getting into the life expectancy of the pump?

Thanks again!

The water pump tends to fail around 140-180K (if its going to fail). technically if your leaking (from the weaphole) your already failing.

Unlike fan belt drivne pumps, if the timing belt driven pump fails spectacularly, its the same as snapping a timing belt.

nipper