Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Resurrecting the Free Wrecked 96' Outback, 5/11 update

Ok some questions and opinions needed...

First off my Brother is a master mechanic, and this is one of his very loyal customers that owns a few Subarus. He recently got in a minor accident with his 96' Outback (He is the original owner of it too!). It took a good hit to the front passenger corner. Not leaking anything amazingly enough but was enough of an impact to hit the timing cover and bust one of the cam sprockets into pieces. This is the 2.5L I'm pretty sure... so think the engine survived? The owner did say it stopped running immediately and hasn't been turned over since. Very well taken care of car, Brother has done all the work to it since it was 2 years old and has all the shop records. It has over 200k on it but looks brand new inside out (except for the wreck)...only really bad things are that it's an auto, engine might be toast?? and both airbags blew, and of course the damage. I can pick it up for a couple hundred (really a trade for my old laptop) if I decide I want it, comes with two sets of alloy wheels and good tires on all of them. Have seen it, and drove it actually...while being towed behind my Brother to his house everything electrical and brakes were in perfect working condition, didn't even pull. And yes I know should have got pics to help out, best thing though because of the nature of the wreck the title is still totally clear, no salavage. What do you guys/gals think? Is it worth trying to fix so I can put my RX and Lifted Sedan away for fun and not daily drivers? Do I pick it up and part it out (if engine is good stick it in my lifted sedan)?

I would say get it!Sounds like a great deal.I would really look under at the suspension and in the engine bay at how bad the core support got pushed and frame rail.I know you could fix it,whatever it may be.Also I have started to see a few of that style OB at the yards so I think parts shouldn't be a problem.

It's a '96 so it's probably an EJ22 and better yet, a non-interference engine. From what you describe, the engine parts shouldn't cost much from a junkyard. Body work will likely be more expensive. The airbags will cost you a small fortune and might queer the deal.

I'm pretty sure it was a 2.5 :confused: , it is an auto and thought those were all 2.5's in 96. But I also closely looked at the engine and damage and was pretty sure it was a DOHC....was not the same as my wife's 94' EJ22 so I assumed it was a 2.5. Was not really looking for myself since my Brother said he was going to keep it...here two weeks later he just called and asked me if I wanted it. If it has a chance of being a EJ22 then I gotta go over there tomorrow and check, if it's a 2.5 is there anyway to check it without getting the parts and timing belt?. If I did fix it I probably wouldn't put the airbags back in unless I needed to sell it, plz no lectures would be just for a cheap driver to and from work. I have 2 *Toy* Subarus I drive now...time for just a daily driver to be added to the group.

*Toy* meaning neither one of them should really be driven as a daily driver, RX needs to be restored and the lifted sedan..well I hate driving it as a daily.

the id tag on the driver's strut tower will have the engine model number. if it's a 2.5, the valves may be bent. how many miles on it? was the frame bent? it sounds like a lot of work to me. parts car maybe. 96 had fewer HG problems so that might be a good thing.

oh. yeah, i have some 96 air bags, if you need them.

john

• 4 weeks later...

Ok well after telling my Brother I passed on the car a few weeks ago...what do you know.....it's now sitting in my driveway. He made enough cash off the second set of wheels and tires to make his money back out of the car, and needed it gone. So now it's mine got it for free, little more damaged than what it was before (because my wife forgot the emergency brake was on when I went to push it up my driveway..:lol: ). 209k, interior is perfect minus the airbags..and I am technically the 2nd owner now (3rd if you include my brother who never signed the title).

It's defintely a 2.5 so back to my original question is there anyway to check the engine without replacing the broken cam gear???

If not is this the intake or exhaust camgear that's broken?

Now for some pics, sorry in advance it was way dark out by the time I got it home, have more/better pics here: http://subaru.kacsh.com/96legacy/96legacy.html

The damage that happened in the crash that broke the cam gear, really not that bad:

front.jpg

Another view from the engine compartment:

littledamage.jpg

Here is the view of how slightly it got broke, belt still intact:

camgear.jpg

And the damage on the tailgate from the push, moved it about a foot sliding on the snow in my driveway, then my pushbar on the lifted rig popped over the bumper and into the tailgate :mad:, then my wife gets out and says sorry forgot I still had the emergency brake on..small dent under the brake light was there, along with the one on the driver's side (not pictured):

back.jpg

i can't tell from the picture, but is the cam sproket busted (the top cam sproket is the intake , the lower one is the exhaust) or is the timing belt cover busted. if the cams are intact and the belt is in tact, you may be ok.

if the cam sproket is busted, what ever was goin to be damaged probably already is. but you might get lucky.

Well spent the morning calling around to find a cheap cam gear. Luckily I gave the guys down at S-Wings a ring and got hooked up with one! Gotta love those guys. So after running around and picking that up from them I came home and started ripping things apart to get a better look at the damage and get set to put the new camgear on and hope this baby runs. Well got to be too cold in the 30 degree weather and wind to get real far but tomorrow should be nicer.

Got everything torn down to the timing belt, took out the airfilter box and some other stuff to get a good look at the frame rails. Good news there, there appears to be no frame damage what so ever. It was actually the ABS pump that hit the timing cover and broke the cam gear. Added much more daylight pics of the damage in the link in my last post. Will put some here for everyone's opionions...keeping my fingers crossed that it will actually start tomorrow, if not oh well still a free car. Even if it does have bent valves I'm thinking the car is very easily fixed minus the airbags. Any body guys out there have a look at the bigger pics in the link in my last post and let me know what you think.

Better pics of the damage, very front corner above the bumper took the brunt of the damage:

fr1.jpg

fr2.jpg

Couple pics of the frame line/under the airbox/canister...looks perfect:

frame.jpg

frame2.jpg

The stub of the cam gear & it's shards I pulled out from the under the covers:

cg.jpg

bcg.jpg

Oh and picture to show you just how clean and well maintained this car really is, was amazed while I was taking things apart. Just remember this is a 209k car...

clean.jpg

Wish me luck tomorrow for this thing to run!

Oh and picture to show you just how clean and well maintained this car really is, was amazed while I was taking things apart. Just remember this is a 209k car...

clean.jpg

Wish me luck tomorrow for this thing to run!

This is very impressive! No oil leaks anywhere? Wow!

Well got the new cam gear on, lined up the marks and threw on the old belt (has a small cut in it but good enough for testing)...hooked up the jumper box to it, battery was dead from sitting for the last 5 month and drumroll please........

It didn't start, sounded okay was cranking fine...but just wouldn't fire. Just when my Brother and I were about to call it dead I looked down and noticed I forgot to plug the MAS back in. Plugged it in, gave it some good cranking (had flooded out) and pop pop later it came to life!!:headbang: !! Running like crap but hadn't been started in like 5-6 months. Give it a couple mins of idling and start revving it up to listen for any bad noises (valves smacking or anything). Starts to clear up and run better and better as time goes on. No noticeable noises, so put it back together just enough to drive it. Ran fine **may** have a slightly bent valve and I mean slight if it is, guessing it's just blowing crap out/old gas. Otherwise ran and drove great! Has some surpising power (to me, I'm an old school guy) and drove perfectly straight....gotta replace the timing belt and some cover pieces and it's good I do believe. Now just gotta decide if I fix the car, or yank the engine/ECU/Wiring and put it in the lifted rig...

Anyways seems I got lucky, it still runs! :burnout:

Oh and my brother looked up the records, and the timing belt/water pump/tensioner/pullies/cam & crank seals/O2 sensor/Full tune up including wires were all done at 199k...now has 209k on it. Only has 600 miles on it's last oil change too!

Well now that I got it running, still need to pick up a new timing belt, some cover pieces. I thought I would get to looking at/working on the front end damage to see how bad it really is...or isn't. Pulled off the fender and though it looked bad, after just a few hours of pounding and prying I actually got it pretty straight. Granted I'm no body guy by any means but I think with a little more work I'll be able to throw on a new fender, bumper cover, hood, and do my best with replacing the headlights etc. So guess I'm going to try and fix this car. Biggest hurdles will of course be the airbags, I don't think I would sell the car so maybe I can get blanks someplace and disable the light somehow??? Or maybe I'll get lucky and find some cheap ones and have them installed. Want to fix this car for as cheap as possible! Anyways I updated the page I'm keeping pics of this resurrection on:

http://subaru.kacsh.com/96legacy/96legacy.html

Little sample of how it's going:

Before today:

41.jpg

After today:

64.jpg

Before:

43.jpg

After:

61.jpg

Still lots of work to go but hey I think it's worth it, just gotta keep it really cheap!

lookin good, well better, there. Pull the guage cluster and see if it has an individual light for the srs, if it does just pull the light. I've seen some that socket a bulb and some that have a totally seperate from dash cluster plug.

Well after losing my job on Thursday, I knew I was going to have a problem with getting this project done without any real income. But I needed to burn off some stress and pound/bend/cut and weld things...so why not this OBW? Aftering getting the important things done like getting my resume updated and out to a few places I went to work on the OBW yesterday and today. Spent alot of time trying to get everything as close to the driver's side shape and measurements. Had a fold in the radiator support I couldn't get out no matter what...so I cut it out and spread it to match measurements off the drivers side, and weld in supports. Pounded out the fender and hood, took care of the airbags/light for now, and reinstalled everything I could + a few things I shouldn't of bothered with yet like the demolished passenger head light but it still works!. At this point I could get a windshield installed and drive it legally...well need to get the passenger side timing cover, a new timing belt, and put it all back together. So with a little patience...didn't have much so alot of pounding, some cutting and welding and it's actually amazing what I turned out with. Not saying it's great, still plan on replacing everything that needs it when I have the money but it looks a hell of alot better than it did :) . Updated pics in the resurrection site...yesterday and today's work on page 3 Here:http://subaru.kacsh.com/96legacy/Page2.html Look at the pics in the link to really see how good things are turning out. Not bad for a guy who normally doesn't do body work. Structure seems pretty straight now, just need to get fender, hood, headlight, bumper cover, etc...

And a sample of course:

Night I got it:

0.jpg

Today:

77.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well been awhile, but I have gotten alot done. Got the new timing cover, new timing belt and finished putting the engine completely back together. Had a new windshield installed...and have been doing hours of body work, sanding, bondo, etc... Still having a hard time finding a hood/fender in the same color but they'll show up sometime, is fine for now. I hit a few yards today and picked up a backlight bar for the tailgate, another headlight (mounts broken but it was cheap and at least the lens isn't cracked at all), picked myself up an ashtray (hate cars without ashtrays), and happened to get lucky and find a bumper cover that was only slightly jacked up. Happens to be jacked up on the corner my car was hit on so works great. I have a temp tag on it now, title is a "living trust" title, so waiting on some more paperwork to get real plates. Been driving it around and it's great no problems what so ever. Have updated the link with the newest pics: http://subaru.kacsh.com/96legacy/96legacy.html

So far here is my running total on resurrecting this OBW..think you guys will be pleanstly surprised...know I am since I'm still looking for a new job.

$00.00 Purchase Price

$32.32 Cam Gear

$15.00 Timing Cover

$44.13 Timing Belt

$190.20 Windshield

$85.00 Back lightbar/ashtray/headlight/bumper cover

Total: $366.65 :headbang:

But of course here's a preview of what it looks like now/my shotty body work:

1.jpg

2.jpg

If you look at what the car looked like when I got it...I think it's 1000% better now, and very cheaply! Still have more work do of course but it's getting good.

Oh and this will be my new Daily Driver....so the old gen guy is moving to a new gen for his DD! (still keeping my old gen cars though)