Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 5 Speed Q

carfreak85

I wonder how much it would be to ship the EJ D/R casing (just the front, not the rear diff housing) to the US..

I was just thinking that....maybe even just the right side. judging from the pics you took, it looks like the left side of the case is the same. the biggest thing that would solve, is the clutch/flywheel issue. since D/R and an EJ motor is already do-able....

gearing, for a few models anyway:

N/A EA82 D/R 5MT

1st: 3.545

2nd: 1.947

3rd: 1.366

4th: 0.972

5th: 0.780

Axle Ratio: 3.90

Lo Range reduction: 1.592

EA82 turbo FT4WD 5MT (RX or GL/-10)

1st: 3.545

2nd: 2.111

3rd: 1.448

4th: 1.088

5th: 0.871

Axle Ratio: 3.70

Lo Range reduction: 1.196

also, legacy gearing from my '92 FSM

FWD 5MT

1: 3.545

2: 1.947

3: 1.366

4: 0.972

5: 0.738

Axles: 3.70

AWD 5MT

5: 0.783

Axles: 4.111

just found this list...it has some EA81 numbers too

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/mick/gear-ratios.htm

and some EJ ratios:

http://www.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181343

I intend to use:

EA82 N/A or AWD Legacy 1-4 (same ratios, I'm leaning towards the Legacy ones...assuming they're stronger)

FWD Legacy 5th

EA82 N/A lo range

RX center diff and final drive (the guy who's giving me the RX trannies seems to think a Mazda 323 GTX viscous locking center coupler could be used....he's got one...so I plan on finding out...).

This would give me:

5: 0.738

Final Drive: 3.70

Lo range: 1.592

RX center diff and final drive (the guy who's giving me the RX trannies seems to think a Mazda 323 GTX viscous locking center coupler could be used....he's got one...so I plan on finding out...).

That would be awesome...

So if you used the EA82 N/A input gears with the Legacy output and pinion it would work if you guys were to just import the EJ D/R casing, with changing the 5th gear over.

That would be awesome...

So if you used the EA82 N/A input gears with the Legacy output and pinion it would work if you guys were to just import the EJ D/R casing, with changing the 5th gear over.

yep.....hmmmmmm. how common are those trannies over there? would it be terribly expensive to source the cases to begin with?

I don't have any money right now....but this summer I'll be in the market....

oh crap. I was thinking we'd just need the right half of the case....but upon closer inspection of your pictures....found this:

you're EJ D/R case:

ea82gearbox_centerdifflock_casingsplit_leftside.jpg

my EJ S/R case:

PICT2445.jpg

looks like we'd definately need both halves of the case...

Yeah you would need both.

FYI that is the EA82 N/A casing when I was pulling it apart, I don't have pictures of the EJ D/R casing, but the only difference is it has a tiny detent hole on the left side of the casing up near the low range (as the EJ D/R is controled by a cable not a rod through the back half where the PT get's it's detent from.)

I'm trying to find good pictures of my EJ casing, but no luck as yet, probably still on my bro's phone..

I am pretty sure every manual Liberty GX came with the D/R between 89 and 94. Not sure what later ones had. But I think the later ones had a different bolt pattern on the back where the center diff casing bolts on.

You can probably pick up a damaged or old gearbox with good casing for $200 - $300 AUD exchange rate is around 0.77 or something, so $150 to $230 USD. I reckon boat mail would be $80 to $100 AUD (I really have no idea, so it could be less or more.)

I would probably be happy to buy another Liberty GX wreck and strip it down for parts if someone in the US really wanted the casing.. It's always handy to have another EJ22 and wiring loom hanging around. ;)

EDIT: this is the detent thing I am talking about on the left hand side casing. It's just below where the low range shift lever goes into the casing.

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/lseries_liberty_gearboxhybrid_lowrangeshiftforks_detent3.jpg

good to know. well, in a few months, I'll be in the market. I'll be in touch...maybe we can work something out :cool:

I'll start looking at Liberty's and talk to my bro and his mate to find out if either want to do a EJ conversion.. If mine works out good I am sure someone I know will want an EJ sooner rather then later.

Ok since we are ALL on this here topic. could someone please tell me what is the pinout on the 2 connectors (a white one with 6 wires and a black one with 2 wires) from the EA82 transmission? Pretty please with sugar on top?

Oh and I have seen http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1164047204042305049ntcJbF

I need to know which wire is which because silly me put the tranny in and cant see the sensors.

Ok since we are ALL on this here topic. could someone please tell me what is the pinout on the 2 connectors (a white one with 6 wires and a black one with 2 wires) from the EA82 transmission? Pretty please with sugar on top?

Oh and I have seen http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1164047204042305049ntcJbF

I need to know which wire is which because silly me put the tranny in and cant see the sensors.

Depends on the tranny. Some have neutral switches, and some don't. And there's other differences as well. Push button vs. D/R, etc...

GD

well its a D/R non turbo (the regular axles from my brat fit and as far as I know its not modified). I tried ohm metering it while shifting but still can't seem to get anywhere.

I really would like to wire it in with the rest of my harness instead of later on top of it.