Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pedal vibrates during braking...

This morning on my way to work(I had been driving for a bit before it started), when I was coming to a stoplight, when I hit my brakes, I felt the brake pedal vibrate. This happened for a little while when I hit my brakes and now magically, it stopped???:confused: Any idea what it was, or what I should look at? Should I expect my brakes to fail when I'm driving?:dead:

Although he does not grace us with the vehicle he was driving.

I guess it shows 92 Loyale.

I would not guess they put ABS in Loyales?

It is snowing here in PA and it could have been ABS pulsation

I guess.

Odd these guesses that people guess like

a) I guess they expect us to guess the car

B) have never felt ABS kick in while living in snow country

(I guess he could have just moved here )

Check the vacuum line from your intake to the brake booster. If it's lose, cracked, or just old and hard replace it - you may be getting intermitent vacuum or simply not enough. If it's not that, then the booster would be suspect. I'm assuming the feeling you're talking about is like the pedal is kicking back up at you? If you're feeling the whole car vibrate you've got a warped drum/rotor and need to get them re-remachined. You did get them machined when you replaced the pads, right?

the pedal isnt really kicking back, its just not a smooth feel.

as far as drums and brakes, the person i bought the car from replaced them shortly b4 i got the car and when i changed my pads/shoes, i had my friend who used to work at an auto shop help me and he said the rotors and drums are still good.

the pedal isnt really kicking back, its just not a smooth feel.

as far as drums and brakes, the person i bought the car from replaced them shortly b4 i got the car and when i changed my pads/shoes, i had my friend who used to work at an auto shop help me and he said the rotors and drums are still good.

i wonder how old the hardware is on the rear drums. Springs do get tired after a while and need to be replaced.

nipper

You may want to try a new hardware kit on the rear drums. Only costs about $20 to get all the springs, pins and clips. Its pretty easy to change. Just as easy as changing shoes (since, you pretty much remove the shoes and put them back on).

I had a vibration in my pedal from the rear drums, but I also had both leaky wheel cylinders. New shoes, hardware kit, and wheel cylinders did it. Though I doubt in two months your wheel cylinders would started to leak.

Also: with Age / Use, the Rear Drums become "Oval", just a Li`l Bit, but Enough to make that Sensation durin` mid / Hard Brakin` or Soft but long brakin` too...

Also, front Discs can change a Li`l bit its Perfect Disc Shape, (seein `em by their Edges - Somethin` like an Old Record -long Play- under the Sun) Specially if After a Long Brakin` the front wheels hit some Fresh Water...

But those cases can be Fixed.

I suggest to Check `em.

Good Luck! :)