Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I Found Two Cracks In My Block!!!

Yep, so I found two cracks on the Block surface :dead: they are both on the right side of the engine (from driver's seat, or back of motor). The one I am most concerned about is between the number 3 (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) and the main water-jacket. It doesn't look related to the motor freezing, but more like a crack from heat. I'm not really sure. But I was having a water consumption problem prior to the tear down (and the freeze--no coolant=frozen engine=cracked head:-\ ). Also, there was a very small crack between the two water-jackets in the front of the motor (on the right-hand side of the picture). So is the block shot? Or will the running motor not be noticably affected by these cracks?

Blockcracks005.jpg

Blockcracks008.jpg

Blockcracks016.jpg

Blockcracks014.jpg

You can barely make out the crack in this one. It's difficult to get a better picture of it

Blockcracks00111.jpg

Well there is only one (make it two) ways to find out. Do a leakdown test on the cylinders (requires least amount of assmbly) and see if it holds pressure. I really dont like the one in the cylinder at all, comsidering that can cause a hot spot and pre ignition. I would just find a short block.

nipper

:lol: Normal? What would "normal driving" be for a Subaru:confused: It is my daily driver, but I often take it off-road: sand, mud, gravel. But the sand is the real killer on these cars, I think. It'll get pretty hot when in the sand. And I think this crack (plus a partially clogged radiator) can account for my water consumption. I'll check around for a short block.

Dain']Yep' date=' so I found two cracks on the Block surface :dead: they are both on the left side of the engine (from driver's seat, or back of motor). The one I am most concerned about is between the number 3 (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) and the main water-jacket. It doesn't look related to the motor freezing, but more like a crack from heat. I'm not really sure. But I was having a water consumption problem prior to the tear down (and the freeze--no coolant=frozen engine=cracked head:-\ ). Also, there was a very small crack between the two water-jackets in the front of the motor (on the right-hand side of the picture). So is the block shot? Or will the running motor not be noticably affected by these cracks?

[img']http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q261/htidain/Blockcracks005.jpg[/img]

Isn't the the right side, as seen from the driver's seat, look at the bell housing.

Dain']Just below the cylinder there. The lifters sit inside the block.

That slit on the bottom left corner, between the stud and that hole about the size of a finger?

I couldnt tell which were pushrod channels and which were coolant or oil passages. (terminology?)

At first, I had thought it was an OHC motor, thats all......

Gee, who has never had his engine apart (yet)? :rolleyes: