Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What kind of ATF originally came with first gen legacy's?

I'm pretty sure they didn't even have Dexron III back then:rolleyes: . I seem to remember the dipstick on one of my old loyales saying Dexron II. Same as with my 1987 Yamaha outboard. I found a couple cases of TCW-II 2-stroke oil sitting out back at work, and I wasn't sure I should run it in my engine, but then I remembered that that's what they had back then.

I have heard that soon, (if it isn't here already), will be the dexron IV ..supposedly better cold flowing properties...

I'm pretty sure they didn't even have Dexron III back then:rolleyes: . I seem to remember the dipstick on one of my old loyales saying Dexron II. Same as with my 1987 Yamaha outboard. I found a couple cases of TCW-II 2-stroke oil sitting out back at work, and I wasn't sure I should run it in my engine, but then I remembered that that's what they had back then.

Synthetic engine oils were available back in the 70's. Not sure when syn atf's became available. There was some endwrench article saying subaru doesn't recommend synthetic oils. It doesn't say the recommend not using them though. Some of the manuf's pushes toward better 'cold flow' and thinner fluids are for better mileage/cafe reasons.

My 90 Legacy's owners manual calls for Dexron II.

Dexron II is no longer available and has been replaced

by Dexron III and Mercon/Dexron compatible types.

I use plain old Mercon/Dexron in my 90 Legacy

and the 2000 OBS.

If ever I was to repair or replace either transmission

I would use a synthetic though. And I'd add a small

transmission cooler to supplement the factory cooling.

Richard

Use a blend to be on the safe side. Not all trannies like synthetics. Transmissions need friction to operate. After many many many many miles of dino, i would stick with dino. Nothing may happen, but why chance it. Also i dont thinkthe costs warrent it.

nipper

BTw the car came with pinkish fluid when new, if that helps :-p