Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-81 Backfire

On the hatch, there appears to be a backfire, which only happens when I let off the gas completely. My cat is definately bad, but I'm thinking there is a problem with the carburetor. If I drive it "spritidly" for long enough(about a minute) the engine will flood out and die on me. Timing is good, I believe (just checked, but I could be dumb:rolleyes:). Any ideas?

If I drive it "spritidly" for long enough(about a minute) the engine will flood out and die on me.

This sounds like a fuel filter needs replacing. That happened to me on my car. What happens is the engine can run good at hard throttle for a while with whats in the float chamber, but when the float gets low, and the filter is blocked and slowing flow, the engine then starves for a little while before the float gets back up gain.

Not sure if it's related to the backfire though. I know a few EA's that back fire under deceleration, not big back firing, just pops.

UPDATE: Today, I decided it would be a good idea to take off the rest of my exhaust. Quite loud:burnout:. The car still burbled and burped a bit, but the REALLY bad backfire is gone now. I'm still a bit confused on that one. But I examined my pipe, and what I thought was just a sheered cat-to-rear pipe section, turned out there was a small hole just in front of the cat on one side, and a nice old crack on the other. Seems a potential problem...

UPDATE: Today, I decided it would be a good idea to take off the rest of my exhaust. Quite loud:burnout:. The car still burbled and burped a bit, but the REALLY bad backfire is gone now. I'm still a bit confused on that one. But I examined my pipe, and what I thought was just a sheered cat-to-rear pipe section, turned out there was a small hole just in front of the cat on one side, and a nice old crack on the other. Seems a potential problem...

Sound t' me like you need t' git you some soupcans, boy!!:banana:

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah,my car backfires all the time too,just haven't got it figured out yet.It's a 1986 gl wagon,when I gas it fairly hard,when I shift it really pops.It done it hard enough it blew my muffler out.Hope someone here can help you out.

Yeah,my car backfires all the time too,just haven't got it figured out yet.It's a 1986 gl wagon,when I gas it fairly hard,when I shift it really pops.It done it hard enough it blew my muffler out.Hope someone here can help you out.

Ya know what I think? I think its a Subaru Thing, and maybe we ought to leave it at that!:grin:

Nah, I think alot of the backfiring is attributed by the emissions stuff, like the pulse air, especially. once you disco. that thing, it WILL stop backfiring between shifting, but will still pop when decelerating (EA81 style, i'm not realy sure about EA82).

Well, I found out about a little valve called the "Anti-Afterburn Valve". It is a valve that opens up when the engine needs more air, such as when the throttle is closed. Because of the way carbs work, when the plate is closed, the engine will still get fuel, so it still needs air. An easy way to check them, so says "How to keep your Subaru Alive", is to stick a piece of paper underneath it, and see if it gets sucked up. The valve is the thing that has the big hose, and the vacuum hose that splits into it, by the vapor seperator.