Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I Got A Sick Roo

first off its a 88 gl 5sp d/r 280k. the problem is that when you push the gas off idle it pops through the intake, it has no power the damn thing sounds like its making popcorn under the hood. checked the timing and compression they were both good. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

It might also be a REALLY DIRTY MAF sensor, or something blocking the air passage going to the MAF within the housing.. Inspect the inside of the aluminum housing, at the top, to make sure that the small passageway that goes up to the actual sensor is not clogged in any way, and make sure both the skinny wires on the actual sensor are clean. Use brake cleaner, or carb cleaner, or Quick Drying electronics cleaner to clean the MAF, and be careful with those two filaments, they *are* somewhat fragile.

Check the distributor stuff first, but this is another possibility.

87 gl fi pops through intake at idle i think it did overheat i stoped let the beast cool off and drove it about 1.5 miles back to my house shut it off ant went out later to start it and it started making that noise. the more i think about it wouldnt it have poor compression in that cyl if the valves are burned????:confused: :confused: :confused::banghead:

87 gl fi pops through intake at idle i think it did overheat i stoped let the beast cool off and drove it about 1.5 miles back to my house shut it off ant went out later to start it and it started making that noise. the more i think about it wouldnt it have poor compression in that cyl if the valves are burned????:confused: :confused: :confused::banghead:

yeah it would lose compression if it no longer sealed.

Just for the hell of it maybe make sure the distributer advance is not sticking,

A long shot. but until it's solved, couldn't hurt to check.

By popping do you mean backfiring through the intake, or some other type of popping?

Timing Belt(s) will definately cause similar symptoms is either is off a couple teeth.

Knew a guy who about went nut's when his Xt barely ran, backfired, no power , when it wasn't yet stalled again.

(stalled every 3 or 4 minutes) He convinced himself that if put the belts on wrong it could not even start. So

flat refused to consider rechecking ( I realize you did not just change belts but a few teeth slipped is the same as installng a few teeth off) He beat his head against a wall for about two weeks before getting passed his stubborn streak,

Finally he found that the Pass. side cam turned a little without him noticing it when installing the belt.

But I remember how it ran , sure sounds similar to yours.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i milled the head smooth and reinstalled a lifter, rocker, ect. still running rough but thats another task im working on:headbang: . this car is the ultimate beater, its been through hell literally in water over the headlights sank in a river, mirrors deep in the mud, radiator frozen due to the snowbanks. thats just a taste of the fun we have in the "maroon rocket" thats what my buddies and i named her. we call her "the rocket" for short. the old girl is the best car to rely on though. 300k and still strong. a few bugs though. ill get pics up of her asap

i milled the head smooth and reinstalled a lifter, rocker, ect. still running rough but thats another task im working on:headbang: . this car is the ultimate beater, its been through hell literally in water over the headlights sank in a river, mirrors deep in the mud, radiator frozen due to the snowbanks. thats just a taste of the fun we have in the "maroon rocket" thats what my buddies and i named her. we call her "the rocket" for short. the old girl is the best car to rely on though. 300k and still strong. a few bugs though. ill get pics up of her asap

Milling the head is irrelavant to the rocker damage. What else did you do to address valve problem?

Did you replace that valve + guide? Or at least check the guide?

What about the Camshaft? was there damage to that lobe?

I hope it's ok for ya, but seems like it needed more valve issues addressed. That may be why it still running poorly.