Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Added a spare tire carrier to my Brat....

mcbrat

spare-tire-2.jpg

I got it off a 70s or 80s Dodge Ram Charger in a junkyard.... for $25

on the Ram, both mounts were in body panels, and had support bars inside the panels. I used the top mount and bar after bending it to match the Brat body better, then I cut off the wrap around part of the bottom mount and just tapped some holes in the bumper and bolted it on....

for the bracket on the tailgate I mounted it 90 degrees off from how it was on the Ram. I can still open the tailgate no problem. I also had to notch out the peg that holds it together,since it was turned 90 degrees.

the bar/lug that holds the tire on (with a lugnut) had the threadsrusted/stripped off, butsince they started out as larger than 12x1.25 threads, what was left of the bar was the perfect size to take a die and cut in the proper soobie threads....

rest of the pics can be found here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=979&ppuser=3

Cool Mick.

Now get a license plate assembly from a 1st gen Ford Bronco (the type that flip down, so the plate is visible when the tailgate is down) and mount it on the upper left side of the tailgate. r/ PK.

Cool Mick.

Now get a license plate assembly from a 1st gen Ford Bronco (the type that flip down, so the plate is visible when the tailgate is down) and mount it on the upper left side of the tailgate. r/ PK.

:) I have it zip tied to the spare right now.....