Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil pump woes... (don't EVER buy from thrifty auto supply)

So monday I buy a new oil pump for my hatch from thirfty auto supply; not because it needs it but because I got the car a while ago but havent driven it much and now I plan on driving it more and I do this for a preventive maintainence type reason. I get it together, turn it on, let it run for a couple minutes and then I realized its just spewing oil out around the oil seal(like every drop that should be going through the oil train instead) and quickly as I can pull the coil wire(and shocked the s**T out of myself). something in the pump is defective, so I take it back to them and say hey, this is a bad pump, I want my money back, and then they tell me:

"sir, we have to send it back to the manufacturer which will take 4-6 weeks minimum, to have their engineers look it over and tell us if its bad or not. we'll take the pump back but we're not going to give you anything for it untill the manufacturer says it was a manufacturer defect"

so I'm like !@#(^(*& and go get a new oil pump from IWA(VERY good parts store btw) and put it on, and it ran great, ran it for about 15 minutes, and then shut the motor down and let it cool down, came back out about an hour later to drive it, and guess what, #3 rod bearing is spun and has the worst knock I've ever heard. :dead:

It was a good motor before this.

dispute the charge for the oil pump on your credit card. if the motor's dead then communicate with the company in writing and take them to small claims court. and next time pull the fuse to the fuel pump and crank it a little to give anything major a chance to go wrong under oil pressure. good luck..

dispute the charge for the oil pump on your credit card. if the motor's dead then communicate with the company in writing and take them to small claims court. and next time pull the fuse to the fuel pump and crank it a little to give anything major a chance to go wrong under oil pressure. good luck..

Best way to do it is to pull all the plugs (and the fuel pump fuse if it's FI) and crank it till the guage registers pressure. Plugs out will make it spin faster and prime the oil system eaiser - plus it will not put any strain on the potentially dry bearings (no compression).

GD

• 2 weeks later...

Thirfty's is fine. I've been getting parts there for over 20yrs! never had a problem...too boot they are the only 24hr shop open in the Portland area!

The shop is right about the warranty situation........just give them the pump...gees...Yeah it sucks not having the cash ...but that's business...

Ya know how many parts I've got right outta the box that failed ....I wrench on vehicles every day!!! Today in fact we got one flawed wheel cylinder ....get used to it...

Did ya fill the pump with oil before you installed it?

Have you taken the motor apart yet ? A good inspection of the parts will tell the story...What's the history of the motor..?

First thing ya have to do is calm down and figure out what went wrong and fix it..IF the crank isn't messed up just throw and set of rod and main bearings in (really cheap) . Inspect everything...! You may need a rod resized..or a new one ..

Good luck...Trevor...give me a call if ya need a hand

Thirfty's is fine. I've been getting parts there for over 20yrs! never had a problem...too boot they are the only 24hr shop open in the Portland area!

The shop is right about the warranty situation........just give them the pump...gees...Yeah it sucks not having the cash ...but that's business...

Ya know how many parts I've got right outta the box that failed ....I wrench on vehicles every day!!! Today in fact we got one flawed wheel cylinder ....get used to it...

Have you taken the motor apart yet ? A good inspection of the parts will tell the story...What's the history of the motor..?

First thing ya have to do is calm down and figure out what went wrong and fix it..IF the crank isn't messed up just throw and set of rod and main bearings in (really cheap) . Inspect everything...! You may need a rod resized..or a new one ..

Good luck...

dude you need a new parts supplier, i work in a parts store and i have only seen one bad out of the box part in my whole time at the store 1.5 years

dude you need a new parts supplier, i work in a parts store and i have only seen one bad out of the box part in my whole time at the store 1.5 years

Only a 1.5 years ..are you joking me!...I've been working as a mechanic for 15 years and let me tell you we have parts coming from over a dozen different suppliers including dealer parts that are flawed right out of the box ...you haven't worked long enough to know the business well enough.. most of the the stuff is made in mexico, china , etc. not many parts are from USA anymore...they outsource everything cos it's cheap !

When you come up with a better argument I'm all ears....nuff said..

i know that some stores do carry some cheap products, but for a store to tell you that they wont give you any money back for a defective product, that is just wrong and plain horrid customer service. at the store i used to work for, if some one ever brought back a defective part, it would be replaced with no questions asked, as long as it had documentation and there wasnt user error involved.

i would suggest that you get in touch with their corperate office and file a complaint as well as put in a request for compinsation, talk to their customer relations people, they should point you in the right direction.

good luck man, hope it all goes well.

• 1 month later...

sometimes this is why dealing with the big corporate morons isn't such a bad idea. I was working at autozone for a class for school and their returns are unreal. My boss was always like, return it if it makes the customer happy. If you had a receipt cash back, no receipt in store credit. But still they would make you happy how every could. And because they match any prices I don't go anywhere else again. That and they still let me look up and grab my own parts. :clap: Takes the "bone head behind the counter" right out of the picture.