Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Two Brats swapfest question

Hello All,

On paper, this looks like a no brainer, but I would appreciate some USMB experiences and advice.

Situation: I have two nice Brats - an 82 4 speed and an 83 turbo 3AT.

My son definitely wants the auto trans, and I definitely want the turbo.

They are both getting lift kits, so no worry on tunnel clearances.

So I swap the trans, bellhousing/clutch/TC etc, rear diff, driveshaft, AT crossmember, pedal assembly and shift linkage. Is this easy as pie? ... or is there more? E.g. exhaust routing, speedo cable, reverse light wiring, etc?

Thanks, r/ PK

motor swap is illegal smog-wise. You cannot back-date motors.

There is also the problem that the 82 car had a non-turbo motor and will be smogged at the DMV as such. Not sure what will happen when the turbo is put in and they smog it.

A motor swap would be a lot less work than a tranny swap. so :dead: to the DMV. (opps, I just threatened a state employee)

BW

Dain']Not to be a douche' date=' but that sounds pretty pointless to swap transmissions. why not buy another manual?! that might work out better for ya. It would be a whole lot less work.[/quote']

Dad wants the turbo, regardless of tranny.. Junior wants the automatic, but doesn't get the turbo...

He DOES have a point, though.. unless you are set on having the stick, or don't want to buy anything, why not just try to pick up a 3at for your son's car? they aren't exactly highly sought after, so you should be able to get one for a song...

Thanks so far.

I need to clarify. I want the turbo as it has more power, power steering, air cond, all the niceness, and I DO want it to be 4 or 5 speed vs automatic 'cause I hear turbo Brats with manual trans are peppy and a lot of fun.

The son wants an automatic no matter what - and he doesn't need the turbo power, and the NA will be very reliable for him - only 96k miles - so case closed on that issue too. (sure, I could just give him the turbo Brat and I live with the NA and no PS or AC, etc - but NNNOOOOooo - I want it! LOL.)

The whole idea is I have everything to swap between cars, without any cost of buying either trans and its associated parts for conversion. So it's a win-win for both dad and son... except for labor.

My concerns are about how much labor, and if I am missing some steps or other non-compatability issues. I.E. are front axles the same for manual and auto trans?

r/ PK

The axles will be the same spline count. You'll have to do some cutting to the hole in the tunnel where the shifter and 4wd selector come through on the t-brat. And also make or transplant the mount bracket for the 4wd lever.

You could use a drill to remove the spot welds for the manual brat's 4wd lever and tack weld it to the t-brat and make that step a lot simpler.

I almost said something else, but considering its a 3at, I would have looked stupid:eek:

Don't know about other states but California does not require smog check when transferring vehicles in immediate family. And besides has anyone ever heard of any DMV clerk popping a hood and dating a cars engine?

Swapping engines sure sounds like the way to go!

Don't know about other states but California does not require smog check when transferring vehicles in immediate family. And besides has anyone ever heard of any DMV clerk popping a hood and dating a cars engine?

Swapping engines sure sounds like the way to go!

If it weren't for the fact of the wiring conversion, fuel pump change, fuel line upgrade to efi grade for the 82 you would probably be right.

Not to mention that you'd have to change the engine crossmember, exhaust systems, swap bars. And then the turbo's have beefier springs up front for the extra weight, and to improve handling.

Mikeshoup just did the 4spd d/r conversion in his turbo wagon. It's over in the retrofitting section.

If it weren't for the fact of the wiring conversion, fuel pump change, fuel line upgrade to efi grade for the 82 you would probably be right.

Not to mention that you'd have to change the engine crossmember, exhaust systems, swap bars. And then the turbo's have beefier springs up front for the extra weight, and to improve handling.

Mikeshoup just did the 4spd d/r conversion in his turbo wagon. It's over in the retrofitting section.

All true, But he did say his concern was cost, not labor. If he's willing to do the work. Will he have all he needs from the other car to make it work without having to buy anything?

If he were wanting to make one running brat yeah. But with wanting to have two running with parts swapped between them. His best bet is to tranny and rear end swap.

In order to make the already manual brat a turbo, he would have to do a big wiring swap, along with fuel pump, lines, and possibly tank. Then the engine crossmember and full exhaust system. Then he would have trouble with the cali emitions test because of the motor swap.

The most logical approach would be to leave the engines where they are and swap over trany and rear ends, driveshafts, and pedal assys. Then do a little fabbin up for the 4wd selector. If he is quick and good he could theoretically have it done in a weekend.

If he were wanting to make one running brat yeah. But with wanting to have two running with parts swapped between them. His best bet is to tranny and rear end swap.

In order to make the already manual brat a turbo, he would have to do a big wiring swap, along with fuel pump, lines, and possibly tank. Then the engine crossmember and full exhaust system. Then he would have trouble with the cali emitions test because of the motor swap.

The most logical approach would be to leave the engines where they are and swap over trany and rear ends, driveshafts, and pedal assys. Then do a little fabbin up for the 4wd selector. If he is quick and good he could theoretically have it done in a weekend.

....so... I was wondering. Why isn't this thread dead yet?

I... If he is quick and good he could theoretically have it done in a weekend.
:lol: ... you are all right on everything else.

Thread can be dead, but it'll take more than a weekend for me. Two lift kit builds, then two installs, then two complete drivetrain swaps, and still some WTFs, and, and, and that's a lot of labor, LOL.

I thank you all for the info! (good one Tim on radiator and cooler lines).

Between here and mikeshoup's thread, I think I have enough.

... Actually now I thinking an EJ swap might be easier :eek:.

Great place, this USMB 'tis. cheers. r/ PK.