Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a fuse or some wire I can disconnect to turn the dash ABS light off? I really don't miss the fact that my ABS isn't working but I have to go for inspection soon so I don't want any reason for them to fail me. The car has new brakes all around with new rotors in back and when I swap the rotors up front this summer I will probably replace any ABS parts I might need as well.

Thanks!

I guess we have to guess this is for a 97 OB?

Some of us own more than one Roo.

List one, post about another.

As for you question I have not found a way to turn off my

ABS warning light on my 97 OB.

(I know I am missing a wheel sensor)

Being a safety issue I believe FHI makes it this way.

If you want it off I sugg you pull the dash panel.

(very easy) and remove the lamp.

You are correct about inspection, at least here in PA,

it is supposed to fail if the ABS warning light is on.

I guess we have to guess this is for a 97 OB?

Some of us own more than one Roo.

List one, post about another.

As for you question I have not found a way to turn off my

ABS warning light on my 97 OB.

(I know I am missing a wheel sensor)

Being a safety issue I believe FHI makes it this way.

If you want it off I sugg you pull the dash panel.

(very easy) and remove the lamp.

You are correct about inspection, at least here in PA,

it is supposed to fail if the ABS warning light is on.

PA inspection is stupid. In Indiana, they don't even inspect cars. I would gladly help anyone pass PA inspection because it's a big waste of time.

However, the ECU will be throwing a code for the ABS light and since the car's OBDII, it will be plugged into the system so it can be read. Which will nullify the whole "pulled out the ABS light" thing.

PA inspection is stupid. In Indiana, they don't even inspect cars. I would gladly help anyone pass PA inspection because it's a big waste of time.

However, the ECU will be throwing a code for the ABS light and since the car's OBDII, it will be plugged into the system so it can be read. Which will nullify the whole "pulled out the ABS light" thing.

Yes this is for my 97 Legacy Outback.

I have tried to see if there is a stored code for the ABS light and there isn't, the only codes I had at the time were for a misfire. Would the inspection scanner be different that what I borrowed from my brother inlaw(he is a Lexus mechanic), it's not like the ones you can pick up from the hardware store as it looks like a small laptop.

I haven't looked at removing the dash, is it just a few screws holding the panel in or clips?

Thanks

ABS is not a ground for failure in any state that i know of. All they car about is that the service brake and parking brake works.

If you pull the fuse for the ABS it should kill the light. Now if the ABS unit was leaking it may be a differnt story.

nipper

ABS is not a ground for failure in any state that i know of. All they car about is that the service brake and parking brake works.

If you pull the fuse for the ABS it should kill the light. Now if the ABS unit was leaking it may be a differnt story.

nipper

PA Inspectors nitpick for everything. My friend's car failed because the knock sensor was toast.

PA Inspectors nitpick for everything. My friend's car failed because the knock sensor was toast.

Thats not nitpicking. the knock sensor is part of the emissions/fuel injection system and a legitamit failure. I would even fail him for that.

ABS is not a ground for failure.

nipper

Yes, as far as I know New Jersey (where FSRBIKER seems to be from) only uses OBD-II to check for generic powertrain (P0xxx) codes (mainly the emissions-related ones), so ABS problems shouldn't be revealed that way. Braking is tested by performance alone (or was, anyway, when I lived there); if the parking brake holds when the car is lightly accelerated in gear, and the service brakes can pull enough "g" force and are properly balanced, the car passes the braking test.

Thats not nitpicking. the knock sensor is part of the emissions/fuel injection system and a legitamit failure. I would even fail him for that.

ABS is not a ground for failure.

nipper

Knock sensor on a 10 year old car? It doesn't even do anything. I know it doesn't do anything on my 16yo car....

Knock sensor on a 10 year old car? It doesn't even do anything. I know it doesn't do anything on my 16yo car....

Doesnt matter, Its part of the fuel injection/emission system and has to work. Thats the law. If the car came with it, and has to have an emissions inspection, it has to be operable.

nipper

Doesnt matter, Its part of the fuel injection/emission system and has to work. Thats the law. If the car came with it, and has to have an emissions inspection, it has to be operable.

nipper

Touche. Nipper, you ought to write a book so others can partake of your knowledge. :-p