Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Towing BRAT 700 miles. Dolley?

Hello all,

Well, I just couldn't wait. I bought a stock '86 brat with manual trans. I read some of the other threads about towing, but just want to make absolutely sure it's o.k. I plan to use a tow dolley under the front wheels. The total tow distance is 720 miles. Is it really o.k. to tow it that far. Also, to clarify a previous thread that said it should be in FWD. does that mean "four wheel drive" or "front wheel drive". Can you tell I'm new? The thread went on to say leave the trans in neutral. Please respond. I also have the option to use a tandem axle trailer which would be the best solution except for getting worse gas mileage.

Thanks,

Brian

Hello all,

Well, I just couldn't wait. I bought a stock '86 brat with manual trans. I read some of the other threads about towing, but just want to make absolutely sure it's o.k. I plan to use a tow dolley under the front wheels. The total tow distance is 720 miles. Is it really o.k. to tow it that far. Also, to clarify a previous thread that said it should be in FWD. does that mean "four wheel drive" or "front wheel drive". Can you tell I'm new? The thread went on to say leave the trans in neutral. Please respond. I also have the option to use a tandem axle trailer which would be the best solution except for getting worse gas mileage.

Thanks,

Brian

put it in 2WD (FWD as opposed to 4WD), and neutral, and you'll be fine. triple check too.... :)

I'll go for thriding it.

With a side note. On here, fwd=2wd and 4wd=4wd. We won't mix them. I promise

yes, we have sense here. Anyone you see with a SOMEwhat high post count has picked up on the idea that "f" ALWAYS means front, because thats simple.

Welcome to the USMB, the nicest place chock full of informative 80's subaru people on the internet. You get answers as quick as we can provide them, and you don't get flamed for much.. as long as your IQ is higher than a ball of twine.... :lol:

Good luck with the BRAT!

yes, we have sense here. Anyone you see with a SOMEwhat high post count has picked up on the idea that "f" ALWAYS means front, because thats simple.

Welcome to the USMB, the nicest place chock full of informative 80's subaru people on the internet. You get answers as quick as we can provide them, and you don't get flamed for much.. as long as your IQ is higher than a ball of twine.... :lol:

Good luck with the BRAT!

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the advice. I got the brat from eBay. It's in western Wisconsin and I'm in the thumb of Michigan. Here's the funny thing... my wife though it was silly to spend money on a Brat. Now she wants me to be as carefull as possible with it, hence she suggests using a tandem axle trailer as opposed to using my brother's dolley. In the interest of getting better gas mileage, I'll take the advice from all of you and use the dolley. As far as the IQ, I know what you're saying. There's all kinds of people out there. Sometimes you just have to repeat yourself, maybe with different words, until they get it. As for me, I'll admit when it come to Subarus, I'm a "ball of twine." Please bear with me as I learn. Thanks again and I'll report how well the trip went. I plan to go this weekend.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the advice. I got the brat from eBay. It's in western Wisconsin and I'm in the thumb of Michigan. Here's the funny thing... my wife though it was silly to spend money on a Brat. Now she wants me to be as carefull as possible with it, hence she suggests using a tandem axle trailer as opposed to using my brother's dolley. In the interest of getting better gas mileage, I'll take the advice from all of you and use the dolley. As far as the IQ, I know what you're saying. There's all kinds of people out there. Sometimes you just have to repeat yourself, maybe with different words, until they get it. As for me, I'll admit when it come to Subarus, I'm a "ball of twine." Please bear with me as I learn. Thanks again and I'll report how well the trip went. I plan to go this weekend.

After learning a thing or two from the dedicated on this site, I'd conqour (or was that Ceasar ;)) with the dolly idea.....This was my stab at the problem in my pre-USMB days..... this particular thread sure would have saved me some effort :).....http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=591274&postcount=30Steve

You could always undo eight bolts and remove the rear driveline...

NOt witht the stock ea81 d/s, he could undo 4 and wire it up out of the way. But I would consider that work for nothing, but thats just me. If it happened to come undone on the journey, he'd loose all the tranny fluid and need to stop and recover the shaft.