Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 legacy steering, catalytic, trans probs

I have a 99 subaru legacy wagon 2.2L, 135,000 mi. live in Mass.

Problem 1: recently. steering is intermittenly loosing power assist, jerky when turning. Belt is fine. Should i replace pump, use sealant fluid, or do more diagnostics first?

Problem 2: For over a year Check engine light off and on for several months at a time for "catalyst efficiency below threshold", replaced O2 sensor about a year ago. Suspicious that cat convert may not be the problem. Any thoughts?

Problem 3: This winter, while engine cold, it revs a little when shifting up to third gear. Just replaced tran fluid as first step. Any thoughts.

I have a 99 subaru legacy wagon 2.2L, 135,000 mi. live in Mass.
Okay. If you don't mind, some questions before answers. :)

Problem 1: recently. steering is intermittenly loosing power assist, jerky when turning. Belt is fine. Should i replace pump, use sealant fluid, or do more diagnostics first?
What does "belt is fine" mean -- are you referring to condition, age, tension, all of that? Under what conditions is the steering "jerky" -- how tight a turn, at what speed -- does it do it when turning in both or just one direction (L/R) -- does it do it in reverse?

Problem 2: For over a year Check engine light off and on for several months at a time for "catalyst efficiency below threshold", replaced O2 sensor about a year ago. Suspicious that cat convert may not be the problem. Any thoughts?
Which O2 sensor was replaced, front or rear -- was it an OEM unit?

Problem 3: This winter, while engine cold, it revs a little when shifting up to third gear. Just replaced tran fluid as first step. Any thoughts.
Please define "replaced"; was just the pan drained, or was a full flush done -- if just the pan, a single draining or multiple times -- was the external spin-on filter changed?

belt doesnt slip, in good condition, jerky less as speed goes up, jerky in both diections, also in reverse.

replaced front O2 sensor because check engine indicated bad front one. Used a DENSO 234-9018 which was recommended at http://www.oxygensensor.net. Original was also a DENSO. Had no check engine for about 3 months after replacement.

on Trans, I just drained which was about 5 quarts and replaced the screwon filter.

Okay. If you don't mind, some questions before answers. :)

What does "belt is fine" mean -- are you referring to condition, age, tension, all of that? Under what conditions is the steering "jerky" -- how tight a turn, at what speed -- does it do it when turning in both or just one direction (L/R) -- does it do it in reverse?

Which O2 sensor was replaced, front or rear -- was it an OEM unit?

Please define "replaced"; was just the pan drained, or was a full flush done -- if just the pan, a single draining or multiple times -- was the external spin-on filter changed?

Just for the heck of it, I just checked the DENSO web site and they give 234-3091 as the proper replacement rather than 234-9018 which is the one I put in (it looked exactly the same) could this be the problem?

Just for the heck of it, I just checked the DENSO web site and they give 234-3091 as the proper replacement rather than 234-9018 which is the one I put in (it looked exactly the same) could this be the problem?

Yes that could be the problem. Oe sensors are built to a differnt spec then OE replacement sensors. Part Mfg's dont do as rigourous testing for replacment parts as OE does. Also repl part manufactures like to condensce their parts catalog so they look for parts that are similar, but may not exactly perform the same.

Transmission - could be winter. They shift a little odd in winter and if your not used to it it can be a little odd. Good news is that if it goeas away in warm weather, its just the winter program. Bad news if it is still there, there isnt much to be done. I think its just the cold weather shift pattern.

Steering - Need more details. If it is pulsing the pump may be getting tired. Check your belt and maybe drain the resevoir and refill. If the steering binds at either extreeme when cold then gets better as it warms up then its the rack. Also check the universal joint in the steering shaft, as that can give a binding feeling, if it is fairly consitant.

nipper

steering - replacing the fluid would be a cheap thing to try. Note of course these units use ATF - _not_ power steering fluid.

check engine light - if it's the 'below efficiency' P0420 code and replacing the front o2 sensor didn't make it go away, you may also need to replace the rear sensor.

This winter, while engine cold, it revs a little when shifting up to third gear.
Probably nothing to worry about. This is a known issue and Subaru has issued a Bulletin about it. Some hydraulic circuit draining or something and rpm's might flare on the first 2-3 upshift.

belt doesnt slip, in good condition, jerky less as speed goes up, jerky in both diections, also in reverse.[...]
Please be more specific. How far (in turns or percent to lock) does the wheel have to be moved for the problem to show? Is it occurring at a specific point in the rotation of the steering wheel? What road speed before the problem is pretty much not evident? Does this mainly show up during parking (very high pumping pressures are required then, especially when at or near lock and if the tires are underinflated)? Are there any noises that accompany the jerking feeling? Is the fluid at the correct level, and free of air (do bubbles show up at the reservoir when the steering is turned)?

If the fluid is dark, it should probably be replaced; this may or may not improve the situation (fluid darkens mainly from either seal or metal wear contamination).

The steering is now "stiff" through the entire distance in either direction only occasionally moving easier, speed makes little difference. Originally ( about one week ago) it was jerky.

On the O2 sensor, originally, I replaced the front sensor , when it was indicated bad (code p0130) three months later, started getting code p0420 off and on (catalyst effic. bad). Checked again, and I did put in the right sensor, this car is the california emmissions model so the sensor is a 4 wire job. I have not replaced the rear sensor since buying the car three years ago at 90,000 mi, so it probably has the original rear sensor.

I have the same problem with my 99 Impreza. If you can get a OBDII that will read out the sensor voltage. My is high (IMHO) varies from 3.4 to 4.4 volts when most O2 sensors are 0.4 - 0.9 volts.

I had the same codes, when I put in the new Subaru front O2 sensor the cel went away for a few weeks and then came back with the P0420. I can reset it and sometimes it last for a few day, other a few hours. I've tried a different cat and got the same results.

I think its in the O2 sensor harness, but I have not found it yet.

The steering is now "stiff" through the entire distance in either direction only occasionally moving easier, speed makes little difference. Originally ( about one week ago) it was jerky.[...]

On April 1, 2 days ago (not a week ago), you said "steering is intermittenly loosing power assist, jerky when turning" -- or was that an April Fools joke :confused: ? I could ask further questions, but you seem reluctant to provide details that would help lead to a correct diagnosis. Rather than getting :mad: , I think I'll sit this one out.

Do be careful, though; steering that rapidly becomes stiff can sometimes fail without warning and have dangerous results.

On the steering, my stroy is changing because the steering is changing from being intermittent to almost continously stiff in either direction forward and reverse.

I think your rack is shot or your strut bearing cap (thingies) are shot. WHen you go backwards, the only thing that changes is the direction of force on the bushing to the rack.

Of course shck the simple things first. Check the ball joints, tie rod ends, strut caps and universal joints in the steering column.

nipper

Two of the problems are now solved.

Took it to mechanic on the power steering and he cleaned and oiled the universal joint in the steering linkage, that did it. He said I should probably replace it eventually though.

On the catalytic/check engine light, I fussed around with the O2 sensor wires and connectors and two days later the check enginge light went off.

thanks for all the tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!