Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I got new tires on my 97 brighton wagon. I know that the factory recommends 32 f/ 30 r, in the tires that came on it from the factory. I am also a little unhappy with my gas milage. on with the question..

The new tires state a max. pressure of 44 psi. What kind of pressure would work better. Keeping a precentage difference between front and back, or a 2 psi difference?

Well at least this is a freindly topic , unlike oil.

44 is max pressure on a july day after driving a few hours on arizona blacktop at 80 mph :)

You can play with the tire pressures till you get it where you want it to be. First thing to do is gte a digital tire gauge so you know its acurate. I run my tires at 35/38 psi.

nipper

I got new tires on my 97 brighton wagon. I know that the factory recommends 32 f/ 30 r, in the tires that came on it from the factory. I am also a little unhappy with my gas milage. on with the question..

The new tires state a max. pressure of 44 psi. What kind of pressure would work better. Keeping a precentage difference between front and back, or a 2 psi difference?

Yea 33/30 seems too soft. I am currently running them at 34/32 and the car rolls nicer. I like to over fill them at night and then let the air off in the morning to adjust pressure , while the car the temp is at it's seasonal coldest. Also out of direct sunlight sun so one side isn't hotter than the other. Will probably add a few pounds more later in the summer. I have found that a tire doesn't really usually gain more than 4 psi with heat and speed (usually less).Going to try 35.5/33 for going camping, for clearance.

Generally I have found that the factory recommended tire pressure is a place to start. Where you go from there depends on how the tires wear, center wearing - too much pressure, sides wearing - too little pressure. Without even wear accross the face of the tire you will soon be buying another set. True, you can pick up a few mpg by over inflating, but you will have to balance the fuel savings against the cost of a new set of tires.

Noticed that the 32 psi I measured in the morning last week at +5c changed to 27 psi today at -3c. A change in the ambient temperature meant 41 to 26.6 fahrenheit meant a cold tire temperature drop of 5 psi, in the back tires.

Tank was full both times.

Rightly there aught to be a scale with tire pressures for different seasonal ambient temperature highs and lows.

One aught to build such a map into the cars computer memory with input from the temp gauge and the vehicle might be able to suggest a real time tire pressure that would produce a median effect.

Am I going crazy or could this be an idea for an invention.

A few days ago, woot.com was selling an entire tire monitoring system for 100$ that let you see the tire pressures of all tires without having to get out of the car. It was pretty cool, as it used valve stems with wireless transmitters on the inside of the tire. I'm pretty sure it could monitor temps too.

In my experience, increasing the tire pressure gives a slight or negligible increase in gas mileage opposed to decreasing the tire pressure which gives a noticable decrease in gas mileage. I guess what I'm saying is you can blow your tires up to 44 psi and you won't see that much of an improvement in gas mileage. of course YMMV (hey a literal interpretation of that expression).

this is after the fact, but you may consider getting low rolling resistance tires next time if mileage is a concern.

this is after the fact, but you may consider getting low rolling resistance tires next time if mileage is a concern.

True, I guess that's wasn't my main concern at the time. But I fear that if the tire pressures are in the wrong ratio's the tranny (5m/t) will overheat and go caput. If the tranny is working against itself, wouldn't I get really bad gas milage too? Nothing like paying to distroy your own car :-\.

True, I guess that's wasn't my main concern at the time. But I fear that if the tire pressures are in the wrong ratio's the tranny (5m/t) will overheat and go caput. If the tranny is working against itself, wouldn't I get really bad gas milage too? Nothing like paying to distroy your own car :-\.

A few psi front/rear isnt going to hurt the awd. Its when its 10 psi or more that things can start happening. Things really start happening when its just one tire.

nipper

May already be done, I live in a small town and some lady in a fancy vechicle pulled up where I was getting gas and asked if I knew where she could get air, the tire she was concerned about did not look low so I told her and she said it it showed to be low in her car. I did not ask how she was reading it. But my cars are all old so I dont know what are on the new ones.

Sorry Hotshot I missed your post about the system that is used to tell tire pressure, that seems like a great system.

Noticed that the 32 psi I measured in the morning last week at +5c changed to 27 psi today at -3c. A change in the ambient temperature meant 41 to 26.6 fahrenheit meant a cold tire temperature drop of 5 psi, in the back tires.

Tank was full both times.

Rightly there aught to be a scale with tire pressures for different seasonal ambient temperature highs and lows.

One aught to build such a map into the cars computer memory with input from the temp gauge and the vehicle might be able to suggest a real time tire pressure that would produce a median effect.

Am I going crazy or could this be an idea for an invention.