Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt6 flywheel timing marks!!!!

Ok so I went to install my new shortblock today since my old motor toasted the #4 piston and rings (chunk of piston missing) due to #4 Injector bad running cylinder lean.

And I installed the timing belts and timed it using the marks on the xt6 flywheel.

Well now the car runs like ************ and has no power and low vacuum.

I'm willing to bet its the xt6 flywheel timing marks being different I just have a hunch! i've checked the belts 3 times and its all lined up to those xt6 marks.

Someone please chime in who knows the answer or has retimed a Ea82T with XT6 Flywheel.

BTW Dizzy was never removed so its right.

Thanks

Well... I Don´t know the Right Answer, but Maybe this Idea can Help You:

Try to Find the "Top Dead Point" on Cyl Nº 1, then Sync it with the Dist.

I done that with a Large Screwdriver. Just remove the four Sparkplugs and insert the Screwdriver into the Nº 1 Cyl´s Cam, movin´ the Main Pulley to make it Spin, while tryin´ to "Feel" its Top Dead Point (I don´t know if in English can be Translated the Same Idea... but I Hope You´ll Understand) then, when you find the Spark Point on Cyl Nº 1, Move the Dist to that Exact Point, and do a Painted mark on the Correspondent point on the Flywheel.

That worked for me, I Hope that idea can Help you.

Good Luck! :burnout:

Well... I Don´t know the Right Answer, but Maybe this Idea can Help You:

Try to Find the "Top Dead Point" on Cyl Nº 1, then Sync it with the Dist.

I done that with a Large Screwdriver. Just remove the four Sparkplugs and insert the Screwdriver into the Nº 1 Cyl´s Cam, movin´ the Main Pulley to make it Spin, while tryin´ to "Feel" its Top Dead Point (I don´t know if in English can be Translated the Same Idea... but I Hope You´ll Understand) then, when you find the Spark Point on Cyl Nº 1, Move the Dist to that Exact Point, and do a Painted mark on the Correspondent point on the Flywheel.

That worked for me, I Hope that idea can Help you.

Good Luck! :burnout:

Wouldn't that only work for distributor timing and not the CAM/Valve Timing?

i'm guessing you're using an XT6 flywheel on a non XT6 vehicle?

if the distributor was never removed or moved, then the timing shouldn't be that far off to keep it from running.

you don't have the goodies up front to time it off the crank pulley? if you have that stuff lying around or another vehicle you could at least swap just what you need to time it up front.

i'm guessing you're using an XT6 flywheel on a non XT6 vehicle?

if the distributor was never removed or moved, then the timing shouldn't be that far off to keep it from running.

you don't have the goodies up front to time it off the crank pulley? if you have that stuff lying around or another vehicle you could at least swap just what you need to time it up front.

So the XT6 crank pully would have the mark and work?

Yes I'm using the XT6 flywheel on the EA82T

Yeah, the XT6 front pulley and T-Belt covers are marked to time disty and cam pullies. Do believe that the the Spider intake equipped 4 cylinder engines were set-up the same way. Or atleast the crank pulley is marked and there's a pointer that attaches to the engine. Haven't seen a Spider set-up in quite a while, so memory is a bit fuzzy.

So the XT6 crank pully would have the mark and work?

Yes I'm using the XT6 flywheel on the EA82T

The XT6 crankpulley is for a multi-rib belt design, like the 4cyl XT. I think your best bet is to try to establish your own TDC mark. Something along the lines of what Loyale 2.7 suggested.

Pull plug one, and with the tip long punch or srewdriver(or best yet a thin wooden dowl) slowly turn the crank until you feel the piston travel all the way "up". You will need to know whether you're on the compression or exhaust stroke so look at your Disty rotor asee which way it points to Cyl1. Since your disty was not removed, you should be able to use it as a guide. Mark you're flywheel at TDC and time from that. Look at you're old EA82 flywheel for a sense of scale.

why can't you use your existing crank pulley to time the engine? i assume you have the correct pulley on the engine right? at most you'd need the timing marks to time off of, that should'nt be hard to come up with. post in the parts wanted forum maybe?

i don't think XT6 and XT pulleys are interchangeable. and if they were i don't know that the timing mark would be the same. of course you could compare them and see.

I don't think you need to remove the flywheel to mark it. Like I said you just need to find top dead center for the compression stroke, and then mark from there.

You said you used the marks on the XT6 flywheel. Which marks are you reffering to? are you talking about the 3 little marks for setting the belts. If you used those you are possibly 30 degrees off on your valve timing and consequently ignition timing. Divide 360 by 4= 90 degrees. divide 360 by 6 = 60 degrees. those 3 little marks are not top dead center, they correspond to the point where the pistons are all somewhere in the middle of a stroke, at a point where the none or only a few Vavles are being pressed open by the Cam. This is to allow easier assembly and positioning of Cam for belt timing. The difference between 4 and 6 cylinders means that this intermediate point is 30 degrees shifted.

I can't say for sure but this is my theory.

You could determine TDC on cyl 1 via "feel" test through spark plug hole. Then set the belts with the marks at a 45 degree angle, pass mark 45 out/up, drivers 45 out/down. Set the disty to be at cyl 1 at the same time and you should have it. Mark that TDC position on the flywheel with a paint pen or white out. Draw out a scale starting from there for timing, using your old flywheel for reference.

you know..FSM shows exactly how the timing belts must be positioned to get disty installed right everytime...and no I'm not talking about the belt timing marks.. ie the position the cam pulleys are when no 1 is at TDC..and yes if you reinstalled timing belts you could easily position them with the disty 180 degrees off where it was before..

Kaz

I really think you are 30 degrees off. My FSMs Show that for an EA82 or

an ER27, distributor installation is done with Cam marks at 45 degrees. Pass side 45 up/out, drivers 45 down/out. But the 3 little belt alingment marks are not TDC. They are at an intermidiate point in engine cylce. I don't think you can really rely on them to be the same from a 6 cyl as a 4. Disreegard them until someone can confirm whether or not those 3 marks are in the same spot. Which I think they must be 30 degress shifted, but I don't knoiw for sure.

So find TDC on #1 cyl, then set the belts accordingly with the marks at 45 degrees.(pass. up/out, drive down/out) This will set the valve timing and make it so you've got the compression stroke. Then look at the disty and make sure it is at #1. Mark you're flywheel apropriatley.