Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Possibly getting an old gen

I may be joining you old gen owners. I'm going to look at an '89 GL tomorrow. It's a sedan, 5 spd and 4WD. I talked to the owner but forgot to ask the mileage. Asking price - $800.

I hate to ask, but besides the basics, what should I look out for? Thanks a lot guys.

I may be joining you old gen owners. I'm going to look at an '89 GL tomorrow. It's a sedan, 5 spd and 4WD. I talked to the owner but forgot to ask the mileage. Asking price - $800.

I hate to ask, but besides the basics, what should I look out for? Thanks a lot guys.

That's a good year and model. Last year where there where good options available, last year of the dual range. And it should be a SPFI, unless it's Turbo. And at least in 89 the Turbo cars eliminated the EGR system.

I'd say put new timing belts on it, unless you know for sure they were done recently and correctly. Maybe change the Thermostat, Radiator hoses, heater hoses, and 3 little coolant bypass hoses as well. At that point you are almost sure to have a super dependable tank.

Thanks. It's na, SPFI. I already thought of the rust issue and planned to look for it. We do unfortunately use salt on the roads here. I hope to use it as a work car that doesn't cost me a fortune in gas and isn't afraid of snow. Hopefully it doesn't have terminal cancer just yet.

$800 is a decent price for an east coast soob, but you are in the price range where the rust dictates everything. My soobie-sense tells me you will likely find more rust under there than you would want to see, but if it isnt super close to gone, 600-800 is a pretty good price. If its relatively clean, I would call 600-800 a good price, for a 4wd 5 spd.

I would say if its got a decent amount of rust, but not enough to scare you off, offer him 600 and be somewhat firm.. if its relatively rust free, offer him 650 and be willing to pay 800 if he is firm.

Check for any signs that he may have had an "overheating issue" lately.. new hoses that stick out, etc. In general, if a cheap EA82 subaru has a new radiator in it, thats a good sign that there have been "overheating" problems in the recent past and it may need a headgasket soon. Even so, my first headgasket job took me two easy days from start to finish, not counting resurfacing time. If you want to do the timing belts, oil pump reseal, and water pump at the same time, it almost SAVES you time.. and it is easy for the uninitiated.

I've noticed that it really depends on how often a Subie has seen a carwash up here. The salt only comes from the road, so if you keep it washed off the rust really can't grab hold. You have salt air to deal with. Then again, most people don't wash under their cars. Surface rust I can live with, but rot-through in critical areas will send me running. Same story with overheating or evidence thereof.

I hope to use it as a work car that doesn't cost me a fortune in gas and isn't afraid of snow.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :burnout:

That she'll do. Rust bucket or not, grab it up. Lots of rust? Lowball him and walk... you can always tuck your tail and pony up the $800 1/2 hour later... Post the mileage when you find out :)

Appointment made! I go to drive tomorrow evening. I'm not concerned about mileage...the odo reading that is... but I will post when I find out, along with a complete report. With any luck I'll be buying it.

Good to here about the mpg. I know there used to be a thread floating around here where everyone posted theirs, but it's long dead. That and I've been dying to get ahold of a 5spd. Slush-o-matics are not for me. But I won't argue that, and I know they sometimes have their advantages. Like stop-and-go traffic.

Appointment made! I go to drive tomorrow evening. I'm not concerned about mileage...the odo reading that is... but I will post when I find out, along with a complete report. With any luck I'll be buying it.

Good to here about the mpg. I know there used to be a thread floating around here where everyone posted theirs, but it's long dead. That and I've been dying to get ahold of a 5spd. Slush-o-matics are not for me. But I won't argue that, and I know they sometimes have their advantages. Like stop-and-go traffic.

Don't expect 40 MPG.. you are getting a four wheeler, which is NOT the mileage queen. Efficient, yes, but claims of 40 mpg are looked on with some hesitance regardless of drivetrain.. with a 4wd model, even if it is part time and you leave the 4WD off most of the time, don't expect much more than 25 mpg.

Note: this is all hearsay, I have never owned a 4wd; anyone who has, if you;d like to give a real experience mileage figure, please correct me if I am wrong.

All the 4WD's are in the 27/28 range for manual, and 25/26 range for auto. That goes for EA81's and EA82's both. I get 27 regularly in my Webered EA82 sedan.

GD

Hell, I only get 25 mpg rock solid in my 2wd auto..

I miss my CLUTCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thought I'd give you guys an update. Well, I still haven't seen the car, much to my dismay. The Tuesday appointment flopped....I got lost on the way, and by the time I figured out the directions it was getting dark. Guess I forgot to mention that I can't find my way out of a phone booth when I got them. This guy is ridiculously hard to get ahold of, but with any luck, I should be going tomorrow morning. I guess the good part is no one else is getting through either. At last contact, he had no other offers.

I wasn't expecting 40 mpg. If I was, I'd get a Toyota. But I wanted a 4WD anyway, plus the reliability and easy-to-work-on factor of a Subaru. I've wanted an 80's era Sube for quite a while now. The new gens are nice, but EA82's just have a special quirky charm about them. And there's the 4WD bit again. My road is usually the last in the county to be plowed when the snow flies.:rolleyes:

Weeeellll......saw the car today.

The good: Only 121k miles. Runs smooth. No TOD. 5spd, 4WD. Relatively rust-free. Decent tires. Clutch ok. Good WV Inspection.

The bad: Exhaust. Could be the manifold, or maybe just the gasket. The car has obviously been sitting for some time. Paint mismatched. Was originally grey. Now has two white doors, a white hood, and blue front fender. Driver's side headlight has moisture inside. Power steering squeals when turned lock-to-lock. Power windows barely move. Heater blower dying. Interior isn't great but would probably clean up OK. Has probably had wildlife living in it at some point.

It has no plates, so I couldn't take it beyond the driveway.

With a little TLC, this could be a very nice daily driver. I'm not sure how willing he is to negotiate price, but I really don't have the time or resources to fix this car up anyway. If anyone local is interested in saving a Subie from further abuse, let me know.

Hmmm. Sounds like a little too much stuff wrong with it for $800. But I know you live in an area where rust free is everything, and that's 100k less miles than mine has on it.

FYI, my '89 GL SPFI has been getting about 28-30mpg recently. Alot of very spirited highway driving (for an EA82 :lol:) -- a good segment on one tank at 85mph, and I still got slightly over 30mpg on the tank. It used to only get 26 - 28mpg.... wonder why it's better now. New brakes, driveshaft (the center bearing was going bad for the last year, turns out), front axles, tuneup, MAF cleaning. Between all of those, I got an extra 2 mpg. Drops to lower 20's or so if I do alot of bashing through snow in low range. Still not bad.

I got mine for $500 -- had a melted rear wheel bearing (cooked the entire brakes too), a dead A/C compressor, and a misadjusted clutch cable. Otherwise, beautiful condition. Cost another $300 to have a used rear swingarm with a good bearing/brakes put on, and I adjusted the clutch myself. Still no A/C.

That's what I thought. This guys seems a little too much like a typical used car salesman. He may come down, but quit frankly, I don't want to ever deal with him again. Ever. He lives in the absolute middle of nowhere, dirt road, got lost getting there, and he acted like I was going to take off with the car and not come back or something.

A/C is very important to me. Face it. I'm spoiled.:rolleyes: Haven't had a car without it in years. That alone would probably cost upwards of $300 to have a shop fix, convert, and recharge with R134.

The car runs like a top, and the exhaust leak doesn't really bother me....but we have yearly inspections here and it would likely grab a ticket. He'll even throw in a gallon of grey car paint to match everything up again. He has several EA82 parts cars, so I don't see why he wouldn't part with a headlight and whatever's squealing. I couldn't track it down....either PS pump or alternator. There was a sweet looking wagon, completely rust-free, beautiful interior and exterior. But the engine was torn down, and the driver's rear tire was pointing in at a very sickly angle. A few XT's too, most I would guess are for parts. A couple more EA82 parts cars too.

But like I said, I don't want to deal with the seller any more. I don't have the time or the desire to work on a car if I don't have to right now. She just needs some TLC, but I can't give it. To be honest, I was really looking for a FWD mileage queen anyway, preferably a wagon. Passed the gas station today. $2.99. Ouch. Want to get ahold of a gas-sipper while still staying in the Subaru family, and SPFI FWD 5spds seem to be the best, besides the multiport XT's.

• 2 weeks later...

I regularly made a 100 mile round trip to Yreka Ca. from Dunsmuir Ca. Driving the speed limit on I-5 (65-70) It took 3 gallon's to make the trip. I did this every day for 40 days. windows up to, down back. no AC, easy on the accelerator pedal. With 91 Loyale 5sp. well maintained.

This would suggest 33.3 MPG. highway

To be honest, I was really looking for a FWD mileage queen anyway, preferably a wagon. Passed the gas station today. $2.99. Ouch. Want to get ahold of a gas-sipper while still staying in the Subaru family, and SPFI FWD 5spds seem to be the best, besides the multiport XT's.

Good decision. I paid $1500 for my two wheel drive 90 loyale about 8 years ago. Been running strong ever since. And with a paint job done by the local Vo-Tech school boys, she even looks good still - with 224K miles on her. They're out there. Keep lookin'.