Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exaust Questions*******

i have an Ea81 wagon(stock engine) with a 2.25 catless custom exaust. this thing sound awesome and perfroms excellent. but there is no way its gonna pass smog....i was gonna go to an exaust shop and have them install a cat....so 1. how much do you think its gonna cost to get one installed and 2. whats that going to do to my power?

Here's a partial answer:

I saw some 2" 3 way cats on ebay for about $60.00. Not sure if I'd use them or not, it was just a quick scan to see what's around.

Performance shouldn't be affected much. Poked out ones are better than plugged / dead ones.

On my EA82, I did notice a small improvement in the extreem high RPM going from my 1 good stock "reference" set of cats to a poked out set.

i ran mine through without a cat, might depend on the state and their limits, but the guys were laughing at how badly mine passed. wasn't even close.

i'm surprised your low end isn't hurting with a 2.25" exhaust on a non-turbo engine of that size. the XT6 with 6 cylinders looses significant low end if you open the exhaust above 2.25". all the power moves really high in the power band, leaving you gutless at normal driving ranges. with a high flow converter you shouldn't notice anything. that's what i have, i didn't on mine. mine was very small and easy to install. price $50 - $200 depending on lots of variables.

well to tell you the truth id like a good enough job done that i could do it with a weber on:grin: but i dont have a weber yet and i dont want to risk failing it.....so to do a really good job without stabbing my wallet id like to do it for about 100$$ 120$$ somewhere in there