Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil pan gasket

From what I've read here on the board, you'll have to remove the nuts on the engine mounts, and jack up the engine. I think you'll have to remove the pitch stopper on top two. Just take a good look at how it's set(count the turns, etc). Then it's still a pain since there are baffles inside the pan that get hung up on the pick-up tube. But I have never done one so............

acording to subaru, at least when i asked, there is no actual gasket for the oil pan. you can buy em aftermarket all day, but i think they used rtv sealant. at least from what a dealer out here and a couple shops told me.

eh, always double check if you can.

it looks like there is indeed a gasket for the oil pan for that year (subyrally is right, some years don't use one), and alldata says it's a 2.0 hour job...so it's not going to be *terribly* hard, but it's going to take a while. I would imagine you should pull out the pitching stopper and nuts from the motor mounts (as mentioned above), jack up the motor a couple inches and you can put something under the mounts like blocks of wood or something. something else to think about: these motors are not terribly hard to remove entirely, and if there's anything else to work on, just pull the motor and do it all at once.

~Erik~

I think you'll have to remove the pitch stopper on top two. Just take a good look at how it's set(count the turns, etc).[/Quote]

OP has not stated whether or not this is an EA81(Brat, Hatch) or an EA82(Wgn, Sdn,Cpe) but as a note, EA82s do not have an adjustable pitching stopper. so no counting required.

acording to subaru, at least when i asked, there is no actual gasket for the oil pan. you can buy em aftermarket all day, but i think they used rtv sealant. at least from what a dealer out here and a couple shops told me.

This applies to EJs.(legacy,impreza,etc..) EA motors definately use a gasket. It is a different gasket each for EA81 and EA82.

these motors are not terribly hard to remove entirely, and if there's anything else to work on, just pull the motor and do it all at once.[/Quote]

This is a very good point. If you want to temporarily slow a leaky pan until an engine removal,(for clutch, rear main, HG, whatever else) It ussually helps alot to just tighten the oil pan bolts a bit. just a snugging(1/4 turn), you don't want to distort the pan or strip anything. But the old cork gasket has most likely hardened alot, so a little snugging helps alot. The bolts along the back are blocked by the crossmember, but can be gotten at with extentions and a swivel on your socket wrench, or with a long #3 phillips screwdriver through the small access holes in the crossmember.

Yup, the EJ cars don't use a gasket from the factory. You can buy them aftermarket for some reason, but I would put more faith in some Ultra-grey or anaerobic sealant than some cheap piece of crap, errr... cork.

The EA cars do use gaskets and they are available from the dealer.