Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First off, they're about a 90 legacy L AWD 4eat Wagon.

1. My power mirrors quit working and I know it's not the mirrors because once in a while they work for a second and I replaced one and it still doesn't work. Does the switch go bad somehow?

2. Is it bad to leave the rear defroster on 24/7? I do...

3. Has anyone ever gotten locks out of the junkyard for the doors and taken the vin number or the locks themselves and had keys made for them? My car never came with any keys. I removed some locks from another car of the same year in the junkyard recently but the subaru dealer won't make me a key for them. Even if I give them the vin.

4. Anyone run AMSOIL? I have AMSOIL full synthetic in my car and it says I think 25,000 miles or one year for the oil change intervals?! Do you wait that long? I've read that changing oil too soon can be bad for you engine. But I've never done an entire year without an oil change!

My friends won't put AMSOIL in their vehicles because it costs too much but in the end of the year you save money and you get full synthetic from the best oil company out there! Fools...

First off, they're about a 90 legacy L AWD 4eat Wagon.

1. My power mirrors quit working and I know it's not the mirrors because once in a while they work for a second and I replaced one and it still doesn't work. Does the switch go bad somehow?

2. Is it bad to leave the rear defroster on 24/7? I do...

3. Has anyone ever gotten locks out of the junkyard for the doors and taken the vin number or the locks themselves and had keys made for them? My car never came with any keys. I removed some locks from another car of the same year in the junkyard recently but the subaru dealer won't make me a key for them. Even if I give them the vin.

4. Anyone run AMSOIL? I have AMSOIL full synthetic in my car and it says I think 25,000 miles or one year for the oil change intervals?! Do you wait that long? I've read that changing oil too soon can be bad for you engine. But I've never done an entire year without an oil change!

My friends won't put AMSOIL in their vehicles because it costs too much but in the end of the year you save money and you get full synthetic from the best oil company out there! Fools...

1. Mirrors - Replace the switch.

2. Bad? Only in that you'll burn out the rear elements quicker...'though if they're still working on a '90 (so are mine :) ) maybe yours are bulletproof!

3. Go to a locksmith...you could take them the originals so ignition and doors would match.

4. 25k is too long even w/Amsoil - and oil filters are not designed for that long of an interval; I've never heard where changing too soon is bad, but have heard (Consumer Reports) that every 3k is unnecessary and is promoted by those that make $$ off it - lube shops and parts stores - unless you drive like NASCAR or othewise qualify as 'extreme use'. Remember to check the oil level every 1k, as Subes (and most/all cars) burn some oil - even says to expect it in the manual! I don't have an educated opinion about Amsoil, so I'll keep my foot out of my mouth.

Good luck

Mirrors-do these have an autoreset thermal circuit breaker somewhere in the system like power windows sometimes do?

Rear defrost-not sure; I've heard it's bad, some say it's not bad.

Keys-I would imagine the dealer would want to see the title or at least registration or some proof of ownership. I mean you wouldn't want someone to just be able to write down your VIN and then go get a key made for your vehicle.

Amsoil-I'm running all amsoil lubricants. The 25k interval or 35k interval depends on what oil you're running. There are other factors too. Do you make a lot of short trips? You probably need a shorter drain interval because of water and fuel dilution. I do mainly 30+ mile trips, ran the amsoil hdd 5w-30 about 20,000 miles last time and the used oil analysis was good. I do use a bypass filter too though so that helps. There are a lot of other factors involved too of course. My favorite thing is not having to worry about changing the oil every month or two.

Go to a locksmith...you could take them the originals so ignition and doors would match.

The people wouldn't give us the keys to the car and we basically had to steal it from them. So my step dad just broke the ignition and started it up with a screwdriver. Little did they know we had already bought the car from their parents and transfered the title in our name. They called the cops and they cop said it was ours to take. But still they wouldn't give up the keys. Parents did not get along with drug addict daughter who was borrowing the car.

I guess I could go get the ignition from the same car in the junkyard but I thought on these cars the ignition and locks are different keys. I have another legacy and it has two different keys, one for ignition and one for locks.

The first time I got an ignition, I got the locks as well and there was a key in it! But when I got home I noticed the driver side lock was broken and they weren't able to use on either side.

The AMSOIL says that if you use a regular different brand filter than you must change the oil at normal intervals but if you use their filter only to change it every 12 months or 25,000 miles. So I got their oil shipped with their filter for something like 70 bucks. I plan to change it in the fall. I put it in the car back in december I think. I drive 15,000 miles per year so it should be fine.

I'll check the oil regularly to make sure it looks alright. My car doesn't seem to burn any oil though. And although there appears to be oil soaked all over the bottom of the block, the oil level never goes down! But, when I got the car, the oil cap wasn't even on! It was laying by the battery under the hood and oil was everywhere!

I've replaced oil, filter, plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, knock sensor, timing belt, heater core, tranny, tires...

Hm wow that's quite a story! Good deal on the locks. I think what amsoil says is that if you use an oem or equivalent filter, that you must change the filter (only) at the oem specified intervals. Yes you would need top up oil to replace that lost from the filter change. But the oil itself is still good for the rated miles. Anyway if you think you're going to order amsoil regularly check out the preferred customer program that'll save you some $. And there's other great synthetic oils out there too included redline, neo, torco, mobil1, etc.

Good story indeed!

What year legacy uses 2 keys? I've had '90 - '98 Legacys/Outbacks and '00 and '03 Foresters, and they've all needed only one key. They usually have a Master key and a valet key. Was the other Legacy's locks changed, too - maybe?

Oh, BTW, I stilstkmyft in mymowff re: Amsoil mileage. Someday I'll learn:rolleyes: .

rekeying a lock/ ignition cylinder is not expensive, i paid 20$ each. of course it's easier if you start with a working key. post on the wanted section for an igniton lock cylinder with key, or an ignition cylinder and matching door lock with key. swapping them out is also not too hard. the ignition lock is easy after you remove some plastic, i think an experienced mechanic could do it with out removiong the plastic or any screws.

almost anyone who has a donor car has a spare one.

also the ignition lock cylinder from early 90's nissan will fit. they are exactly the same.

Something I read listed three keys for subaru's: the master, submaster, and valet. The master and submaster seemed to have the same function - everything, but the valet was just door and ignition or someting.

also the ignition lock cylinder from early 90's nissan will fit. they are exactly the same.
Hm...that would probably explain why the '94 Legacy I just bought came with a key cut on a Nissan blank.

I'll try a locksmith, maybe on my day off. I have been driving in this car for over a year and haven't locked the doors once. If someone accidently locks them(it's a miracle it hasn't happened yet!)I'm locked out!

I have probably 700 dollars worth of audio in this vehicle, so I'm kind of risking balls here. Boy, would I love to lock my car!

If I weren't so cheap I'd tint the windows so you couldn't see the sub and cd player and the amp. I've got a couple grand saved up but I was planning on saving for a new car.

My other subaru is in much nicer condition but has crappy tires, a wierd problem with the engine, missing a passenger side hub assembly(I needed it on my other car more!)but other than that it's in great condition. The engine dies when started the first time. Then it's fine. If you give it some gas when you start it, everything is ok. Oh! I almost forgot, it has a bad bearing(I think)in the tranny. When you have the clutch in, all is well but anytime the clutch pedal is out, you hear a grinding sort of noise. Even in neutral.

I don't know if the locks have been replaced or not.

I want to sell that other car because it's a nice car, the paint is very nice, the interior is clean, unlike my other daily driver legacy. They're both 1990 AWD, DD is auto and the one sitting in the backyard is stick.