Ultimate Subaru Message Board

legacy gt auto 2.5

After reaching and serpassing certain rpms 3500+ there is a wine from my engine.....sounds like a turbo....and its pretty loud.

Wat could this be?

Turn on all your electrical accessories, high beams and all, and see if the 'note' changes. Every high pitched whine I've ever had in a car (not limited to Subarus) weas an alternator on it's way out.

agreed...alternator is a prime suspect. try what was said above and turn everything on all at once (as all-at-once as possible), high beams are good, but a huge power draw is the rear defroster...sound change? then turn it all off and listen again.

~Erik~

Sounds like the problem I'm having with my '98 OBW with the 2.5. Under heavy acceleration (such as a highway on ramp) it sounds just like a turbo spooling up. Over a year ago, I had removed the intake plumbing before the airbox (kept the standard paper filter) which made the intake louder. But the whining just started only a month ago.

I'll try out the electrical loading also and report back.

Whining (as opposed to "whooshing" or "whistling") is often due to an over-tensioned belt, or failing bearings and other things that increase the load in whatever the belt drives. It can be related to the "accessory" belts (alternator, A/C, PS), or the timing belt. Temporarily removing an accessory belt can help with the diagnosis. If you eliminate the external engine accessories and belts, consider the possibility of it being internal to the engine.

Since Subaru uses an automatic timing belt tensioner, you might wonder how the t-belt tension could be too high. Unfortunately, it can happen if a camshaft is starved of oil and is beginning to seize; the belt will slacken in the portion "before" the cam with the failing bearings, and "tighten" afterwards (as the crank sprocket "pulls" against the extra resistance). Sometimes a failing idler can cause the same problem, and would usually be an easier and less expensive repair as long as it's caught soon enough.

Remove the drive belts and see if it goes away. If it doesnt you need to look deeper. This will rule out the AC Alt PS and drive belt tesnioner as sources.

With the belts off, let us know if it comes from the front or the rear of the engine.

When was the last time the timing belt and water pumps were replaced?

Check the heat sheilds on the car (dont burn yourself).

nipper

well one thing at a time. Lets see what this noise is first, but no. If a drive accessory was putting that much of a drag on something, the belt would burn up or brake first.

And you never responded to my last post............ grrrrrr

You sort of answered it with the extra drag in the transmission.

nipper

legacy gt auto 2.5

After reaching and serpassing certain rpms 3500+ there is a wine from my engine.....sounds like a turbo....and its pretty loud.

What could this be?

How many miles (km) on the engine? Last time the timing belt was changed?

I agree that an accessory (ps, alt) is the first suspect, but heed OB99W comments about a bearing in the timing belt circuit. I just blew up the (2nd) engine in my 97 OB (~175k miles on it) due to an idler bearing failure. Not fun...

Commuter

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like the problem I'm having with my '98 OBW with the 2.5. Under heavy acceleration (such as a highway on ramp) it sounds just like a turbo spooling up. Over a year ago, I had removed the intake plumbing before the airbox (kept the standard paper filter) which made the intake louder. But the whining just started only a month ago.

I'll try out the electrical loading also and report back.

I know electrical sounds like the most likely reason ... and that was what I did check out on my '01 H6 Outback too ...

Sadly it turned out to be the tranny and the center VDC diff. The whining under load, no whining when off the gas (even when in gear, rpms about 2-3k) gave it away. It took the dealer quite a long time to find this too and I heard not too many of these trannys give out at 70-80k miles ...

I know electrical sounds like the most likely reason ... and that was what I did check out on my '01 H6 Outback too ...

Sadly it turned out to be the tranny and the center VDC diff. The whining under load, no whining when off the gas (even when in gear, rpms about 2-3k) gave it away. It took the dealer quite a long time to find this too and I heard not too many of these trannys give out at 70-80k miles ...

Thats really early. Have you bought tires recnetly, ran on a low tire or had a flat?

nipper