Ultimate Subaru Message Board

T-Stat relocation

jchipper

well, judging from the other 26 posts, I'm guessing he's talking about a '90-'91 legacy. in which case it's down by the lower rad hose.

no, I've never heard of anyone moving it, or ever even thinking of needing to.

Why would you need to?

The location of the thermostat on the EJ engines is actually much better from an engineering standpoint. By regulating the coolant flow there, the actual temperature of the block and heads is kept more consistant than with the thermostat located on the top. This is yet another reason why the EJ22 has less issues than the EA engines. Volkswagen did the same thing on their Rabbit diesels back in the 80's, and lots of new cars have the thermostat on the inlet side as well.

Well the reason I want to move it is because it makes no sense at all for it to be on the intake side, and #2 whenever it's installed it makes the car overheat! and I ain't doing the heads again! so that t-stat is not going back in till I can find a place to move it or someone comes up with a logical reason why and how it works there. (besides just there were thousands of these made and they work.... that don't fly in my book)

But gee the other 200,000 subarus on the road have no problem, but i guess your right, since it just overheats your car its a very poor design.

What are all the other auto manufactureres thinking who use the same design? I will yell at my fellow Automotive engineers at the next meeting and tell them they are all wrong

Or of course it can be something wrong with your car, but i guess thats not a possability :-p

hehehehehe

The thermostat needs to be OE, not aftermmarket. Over heating can be caused by a cloged radiator, a decrepid radiator, a waterpump with a worn impeller, ignition timing, and a bad radiator cap to name a few.

nipper

(sometimes pain pills are fun)

yep, doesn't sound like a tstat problem. my EJ22e is approaching 250k miles, my dad never replaced the tstat (we bought the car with 20k on it...). Just a new water pump at 120k with the timing belt. I've had the temp gauge creep up on me twice....once, the coolant had all leaked out, and the other, there was snow completely packed in my radiator.

Well the reason I want to move it is because it makes no sense at all for it to be on the intake side, and #2 whenever it's installed it makes the car overheat! and I ain't doing the heads again! so that t-stat is not going back in till I can find a place to move it or someone comes up with a logical reason why and how it works there. (besides just there were thousands of these made and they work.... that don't fly in my book)

When you installed the thermostat the last time, did you remember to back fill the engine with coolant, through the upper hose or did you just let the engine run without any coolant in it? Did you remember to take the vent plug off of the radiator when you filled with coolant?

How many, and what brand/type, thermostats have you tried? Sometimes, just sometimes, they get stuck in the closed position and won't let coolent through no matter what. I would suggest flushing the radiator and replacing the tstat with a new one with the appropriate temp rating, sorry, dunno what that is.

I'm not one of those people only buy OE. I have had minimal troubles with aftermarket stuff in the past and it is like a bazillion dollars cheaper. But if you like OE, go for it.

I can understand wanting to move the thermostat because it is in a spot that is not the nicest to change, but it's been quite a while since thermostats were a regular maintence item, you usually shove one in and forget it (at water pump time?).

At 500,000+ miles on a turbocharged 2.2 I have no overheating "issues", and never have, of course maybe I'm anally retentive, I like to catch things before they become a "problem".

Let me suggest that if you have to mess with your thermostat more often than you change timing belts you have other things going on there.

Well.... ok yes it is Genuine Subaru T-stat

New water pump, New Cap, and timing is fine checked it with the timing light.

and no I didn't back fill the engine with the upper hose.... but good thought maybe it was air locked.... I'll give that a shot, I know when I filled it I squeesed the upper hose trying to burp the air out, but maybe that wasn't enough....

Thanks guys

Well.... ok yes it is Genuine Subaru T-stat

New water pump, New Cap, and timing is fine checked it with the timing light.

Thanks guys

a timing light does not tell you anything about the conditon of the belts and pulleys. The pump is driven by the smooth side of the timing belt. If you're belt is old and hardened, it can slip over the water pump pulley. Espescially if the tensioner or pulley is dragging causing unussual tension. This may not be you're problem. But I am sure the problem is not becuase of bad engineering. My 93 2.2 has never had cooling issues with 290,000 miles on it.

no I didn't back fill the engine with the upper hose.... but good thought maybe it was air locked.... I'll give that a shot, I know when I filled it I squeesed the upper hose trying to burp the air out, but maybe that wasn't enough....

I find that sticking the front of my car up on a pair of el-cheapo ramps it both saves my back and I don't have to bleed anything...............

T-stat is in correctly, and the belt and pullys are fine as I just changed the water pump and head gaskets....will try that ramp idea

The belts, specifically the timing belt, could be glazed and slipping if it is still the old belt. I believe you if you say it's good. I'm just noting that just cause it's on correct and spinnig, it could still be worn out.

The belts, specifically the timing belt, could be glazed and slipping if it is still the old belt. I believe you if you say it's good. I'm just noting that just cause it's on correct and spinnig, it could still be worn out.

Yeah I know what you mean