Ultimate Subaru Message Board

On the 1'st gen legacy, I have lined up the marks, installed the timing belt, then cranked the engine a few times. Now I notice something curious. The three timing marks, two on the cams and the one on the crank, are still in sync and line up at the top, BUT, the belt marks are a few teeth off. Is this normal, or does this mean I have the wrong belt? The belt seems to fit the same as the old one, but I've not seen this before.

On the 1'st gen legacy, I have lined up the marks, installed the timing belt, then cranked the engine a few times. Now I notice something curious. The three timing marks, two on the cams and the one on the crank, are still in sync and line up at the top, BUT, the belt marks are a few teeth off. Is this normal, or does this mean I have the wrong belt? The belt seems to fit the same as the old one, but I've not seen this before.
Count the teeth, should be right on. One tooth off and I've had it run rough, two teeth off and it wouldn't run. Line up the marks and count the teeth like the book says.

It seems to me, that some belt manufacturers kinda miss the mark, as far as marking the timing belt for installation. The last one I had here (from Beck-Arnley) seemed to be marked in a random fashon, so as to cover many models? I went with the engine timing marks, rotating the crankshaft twice (two turns) to verify correct installation (cams turn 1/2 crankshaft speed). Worked for me here on my '91 Legacy, though I admit to it taking 3 tries until I was "happy" (I was getting tired of collapsing the tensioner by the time I was done).

As long as you install the belt with the correct number of teeth between sprocket marks, and the marks remain in sync, the belt is properly installed and isn't jumping.

The reason that the marks on the belt don't realign within a few crank cycles is that there are many more teeth on the belt than on the sprockets, and the marks aren't evenly spaced; it takes quite a few crank revolutions before the belt "comes around" again and its marks align, but it will happen if you're patient (and the battery charge is good :) ).

This topic now comes up almost as often as the parking lights that won't shut off. For the engine in question, it takes 422 revolutions of the crank for the marks to line up again.

This topic now comes up almost as often as the parking lights that won't shut off. For the engine in question, it takes 422 revolutions of the crank for the marks to line up again.

Now THAT is detailed information.:headbang:

Dude, don't tell me you counted that!:eek:

Dude, don't tell me you counted that!:eek:

No, it took me long enough to replace the timing belt as it was! But this came up a few times before and in a word, the number of turns is twice the number of teeth on the belt. That number (211 for original SOHC EJ) can be found in aftermarket parts catalogs, they give it for identification along with length and width of the belt.

the number of turns is twice the number of teeth on the belt. .

Aw shoot, avk. You just took all the mystery and romance out of it. You should have told everyone you are a super genius mathematician!

Anyway, thanks. You made my morning! :burnout: